In NJ's AWB 'list' it says clearly:

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

So how does the Saiga fall 'out' of the TYPE part?? (like the recent CT posting)

I've seen them sold here (as sporters with 10 rounders) and members from NJ have converted them to Non-Fold and PG style but HOW??

And are they 100% legal after conversion?? Has anyone sent the NJSP a pic and just asked straight up???

If I go into NJ and hit the public outdoor range (with 10 rounders and PG and non-folder.aka NJ compliant), am I going to be the GOOSE???

My opinion... If you think someone is going to burst a blood vessel about something you are shooting - and it just might be illegal in the state in question... don't.

Pennsylvania just isn't that far away.

Where are you from anyway... if you have to go to NJ to shoot? Quebec?

WS

Oh, I forgot to add... You just might be a redneck :killer: (or BATF Agt) :ph34r: or Canuck :haha:

Edited by WaffenSchmied

Waffen,

I live in PA, but alas all ranges near me have reached there maximum memberships till next October.

The public hunting land is 1 hour away above Doylestown PA (almost in Quakertown). NJ has an outdoor range that is $60/yr and $3/hr (once a member) only 9 miles away from the house.

I did the non-folding and pg conversion based on what I've seen as the most sensible to me (I also have relatives in NJ that I tend to visit) and if need to can always 'go back home' if need be. I don't have a bayonet or flash-hider either (or other evil-feature) as described under NJ 13-54 code.

Just because NJ dealers carry them doesn't mean they are legal??!!?? Technically sporters have the 'extra-linkage' in the FCG so maybe thats the loop-hole??

Waffen,

I live in PA, but alas all ranges near me have reached there maximum memberships till next October.

The public hunting land is 1 hour away above Doylestown PA (almost in Quakertown). NJ has an outdoor range that is $60/yr and $3/hr (once a member) only 9 miles away from the house.

I did the non-folding and pg conversion based on what I've seen as the most sensible to me (I also have relatives in NJ that I tend to visit) and if need to can always 'go back home' if need be. I don't have a bayonet or flash-hider either (or other evil-feature) as described under NJ 13-54 code.

Just because NJ dealers carry them doesn't mean they are legal??!!?? Technically sporters have the 'extra-linkage' in the FCG so maybe thats the loop-hole??

Saiga's are perfectly legal in NJ. Both in their natural state as well as NJ-style conversions.

This has been exhaustively discussed on this board already: description of what is deemed substantially identical under NJ law

Enjoy your Saiga in NJ as many thousands of other people do!

• Like 1

So a WASR 10-63 that never had bayo lug and has a 'tacked' on thread cover would be legal in NJ also then???

I've seen sales on this exact type WASR model. No Bayo Lug. No exposed bbl threads or muzzle-brake/flash-hider.

Just asking because I was looking a WASRs recently and they are pretty much ready to go for NJ. (fixed stock and all).

Waffen,

I just joined ( 14 ) this past weekend.....15 tables and 200yrds is fine with me for 60 a year..And soon my 223 with be there also..I also asked Brick Armory and they said no legal issues when converted...

Waffen,

I think I caught another thread where you had found a range in PA. If so, I'm relieved. Not having a place to shoot sucks!

Anyway, its also good to hear that you can take your S12 to the garden state.

WS

A converted S-12 is illegal in NJ, FYI.

I've seen lots of gun board lawyers doing their mental gymnastics about why a full blown converted Saiga rifle is legal in NJ, but I'm yet to see any statement from an actual lawyer, law enforcement official, attorney general, etc. saying it is legal in NJ. I guess it's waiting on a test case.

Klassy.. If the firearm has 2 or more 'assault type' items on it then its Illegal (as it is similar). Read the code 13-58 etc.. pretty clear to me after I read it 2x.

I have the x39 version not the S-12 and OFW to whatever.

If I go to NJ and stay at my sisters with my x39 and get arrested I'll be sure to PM you personally for bail and lawyers..

Just goshing. But where do you get to FYI (its illegal) people from?? I've seen non-converted Saiga 12's here and x39's sold here also.

Do you (newbie) :) have another version of the LAW that says S-12's are illegal when converted (its been in the US for 10 years).

Not allowed for hunting in NJ I know (I think). ;)

Just askin..

I've seen lots of gun board lawyers doing their mental gymnastics about why a full blown converted Saiga rifle is legal in NJ, but I'm yet to see any statement from an actual lawyer, law enforcement official, attorney general, etc. saying it is legal in NJ. I guess it's waiting on a test case.

So you're saying that the converted S-12 is illegal because no one in "authority" has said it's legal?

If you are aware of a specific statute that says that it is illegal, then please enlighten us. Otherwise, like NY, the Dragunov style stock is technically legal as it is considered a thumbhole stock and not a pistol grip. A converted S-12 is still limited to a 5 round mag though.

In regards to rifles, a fully converted, non-collapsible stock Saiga is absolutely legal with a mag limit of 15 rounds.

So you're saying that the converted S-12 is illegal because no one in "authority" has said it's legal?

If you are aware of a specific statute that says that it is illegal, then please enlighten us. Otherwise, like NY, the Dragunov style stock is technically legal as it is considered a thumbhole stock and not a pistol grip. A converted S-12 is still limited to a 5 round mag though.

In regards to rifles, a fully converted, non-collapsible stock Saiga is absolutely legal with a mag limit of 15 rounds.

I'm sorry, I should clarify. Yes, a converted S-12 with 5 round magazines and a thumbhole stock is legal in NJ. What I was specifically referring to was that a thumbhole stock like the Bulgarian SLR-95 stock is a thumbhole and thus legal, yes I would be fine with using that one, something like the Fiberforce "thumbhole" is not something I want to spend time convincing the same court that just said we do not have a right to own a handgun that it's not a pistol grip. YMMV IANAL etc.