What has been the most physically painful injury you've incurred?

Motorcycle accident where I went down at 70 MPH after being hit by a pickup. I was DOA with multiple broken bones, cracked skull and a damaged spleen. Sorry, I have no pics. It took me a a year to be able to walk without a cane, but I was back on a bike at 8 months!

I have also been shot, stabbed, cut, poisoned, clubbed, beaten and DOA twice. I guess that I am still here for a reason! :D

How'd you get poisoned? That one just seems crazy.

Dry eyes? What dry eyes? Dry Socket is not dry eyes. Dry socket is when you have your jaw bone and nerve endings completely exposed to the air and all the other things that get into your mouth. If you ever have this condition and can't get it treated for several days like I couldn't, you will wish for death. As for dry eyes, yes, I know what it feels like to have that too. PRK eye surgery is the equivalent of having your cornea sanded down. I was blind for several weeks after the surgery and couldn't see a damn thing clearly for about 2 months. That didn't really hurt that much, but it messes with your head during the recovery time that perhaps you will be stuck with crappy uncorrectable vision for the rest of your life.

Doh I read it wrong I was thinking dry eye sockets I used to work at a big truck shop and had a truck being repaired with a chem tank that leaked I don't know what on the floor of the shop not a big spill like half a coke can of fluid but when I noticed it went to clean it the fumes started to burn my eyes and dryed out my eyes just about instantly but my eye lids where stuck to my eye balls so for 5 hours my eyes where wide open burning and could not produce tears to wet them the chemical dyed up all inside my eye socket and made it feel like glue eye wash made it feel worse that's what went threw my mind when I read it wrong wich was a very painfull time that I won't forget but I hope I never have dry sockets

I went down on my longboard the other month going downhill at about 35 MPH (effectively breaking the speed limit w/o a car). Instead of rolling like a smart person, I decided to use my forearm, chest and one of my knees as brake pads. Then my board caught up to me and hit me in the gut for good measure. I was going to post the stain I left on the sidewalk, but looking at the rest of this thread makes me feel like a total pussy. ^_^;

Some of your stories eclipse the fictitious joke stories I usually tell.

Edited by JanusthePhoenix

...Damn and I thought i was bad Poisoned ? accidentaly ?

....How'd you get poisoned? That one just seems crazy.

Crazy, Yes.

Accidentally, No.

I was working in the pump room of a swimming pool when someone ran up behind me and kicked the door shut. The door hit me from behind and rammed my head into the pump, knocking me out. There was water everywhere from the leaking pump and I was unconscious in that small room for some time with the chlorine gas evolving from the spilled bucket.

I got a pretty good dose of it and got some chemical burns on my chest and neck and almost exspired due to respiratory failure from pulmonary edema.

I was also poisoned by a jealous husband when I was 19. He put pesticide in some mixed drinks that he was serving up at a New Years Party.

And no, I was not guilty, but that is another story...

Edited by Azrial

AC slap tear and broken shoulder after a bad snowboarding fall. It was the night before 3 days of business meetings, which I was leading. By the grace of God, I pulled it off. So, about 5 days after, they had to do a dye-contrast injection... and I did not realize that they insert a massive needle INTO the shoulder joint at several locations. With 5 days of agony followed by that, I was about ready to call it quits. Surgical options would probably only make things worse, so I just kind of toughed it out with Advil as my friend. Now, 1.5 years later, I'm just barely starting to recover strength there. I hate aging.

This is nothing compared to what some of you have posted on this thread. I was spared all the blood and oozing fluids...

Three broken bones in my mid-back. Putting the second floor joists on a new construction home.

One man leaning 2x10's against the wall me pulling them up and throwing across to the beam.

Other guy hit the one in my hand and spun me around. I jumped inside the room grabbing the header

on the way down. Feet went out the window opening, hands slipped off the header and went down

flat on the window sill 24" off the floor. Bam!! Broken back. Then shot out the window slid down

the non-backfilled poured concrete foundation with the rebar sticking out and giving me 2 1"x10"

long gashes which required 40 stiches each. To top it off was getting covered in tar from the foundation

and all the mud at the bottom. The cleaning with Gas to get the tar off me and scrubbing in the tub

BEFORE I went to the ER. The funny part is that it was the best thing (besides my son) to ever happen to me.

I decided then I needed to change careers. I saw the nurses in the Hospital gabbing away having coffee.

I said "I can do that" So I did. 15 years later became the Northeast regional director for Dept. Public welfare.

My teams inspect Nursing homes. RN's will be needed long into the future so hopefully I can withstand this

economical disaster. Hope nobody fell asleap and bumped their head from this long winded story.

Edited by whitetrashrn

Damn! Some of you guys have really been f**ked-up. I've never had a broken bone or an injury that caused undo pain. I've had stitches several times but that stuff does not hurt. I got chiggers on my balls when I was around 8 which seemed like agony to me back then.

I've never really been hurt that bad...couple broken bones and such but as a firefighter I saw a lot of guys get really fucked up. I've kind of blocked most of them out as I liked the firefighting not the medical but I have seen a zillion auto accidents, one where a car ran into the back of a slow moving semi at 80, one where a kid broke his neck in a roll over, and in another one biker was hit with a chain by another biker and went down on the freeway and got run over by a few cars, lots of bike accidents, auto pedistrian accidents and 2 where guys got run over by trains, industrial accidents where guys got fingers cut off, got re-bar through them and sick shit like where a guy got dragged through a laminator. ...and before I forget lots of stabbings and gunshot wounds...the worst there was a guy who got shot in the chest and had that "why me" look on his face. I know there were a lot more "good" calls but thankfully I can't remember them.

I've never really been hurt that bad...couple broken bones and such but as a firefighter I saw a lot of guys get really fucked up. I've kind of blocked most of them out as I liked the firefighting not the medical but I have seen a zillion auto accidents, one where a car ran into the back of a slow moving semi at 80, one where a kid broke his neck in a roll over, and in another one biker was hit with a chain by another biker and went down on the freeway and got run over by a few cars, lots of bike accidents, auto pedistrian accidents and 2 where guys got run over by trains, industrial accidents where guys got fingers cut off, got re-bar through them and sick shit like where a guy got dragged through a laminator. ...and before I forget lots of stabbings and gunshot wounds...the worst there was a guy who got shot in the chest and had that "why me" look on his face. I know there were a lot more "good" calls but thankfully I can't remember them.

Holy shit man... Hope that stuff doesn't haunt ya. A buddy of mine was a EMS and boy did he have his fair share of stories. Good Luck and thanks for your service.

Well, not as bad as some, but not a painless life.

When I was 11, I got hit right between the eyes with a baseball, shattering my eyeglasses and driving them into my eyes. I didn't play catch with the local baseball team member kid after dark anymore after that.

When I was 13, me and a friend were out hunting squirrels with air rifles, you know, the old Benjamin you could keep pumping up for an hour? Anyway, I was setting mine down, and it had a hair trigger (I started altering guns young), and it went off. Right through my right index finger. Blew out from under the nail,it was kinda like a toilet seat lid. Scared to say anything to mom and dad, so sat around and bled for about 8hrs before they realized what had happened and took me to the er.

When I was 19, a friend was looking at a 9mm whom nobody checked the chamber on, and I took a 9mm fmj right through the left knee. Went across the joint (he was on my right), in between the joint and kneecap. Now, 23yrs later, it's still hurting, and I'm having more surgeries because of it.

And 2yrs ago, right after a knee surgery, I got food poisoning from a local fast food joint, and ended up with a hernia. I knew I had a hernia because I woke up puking diarreaha. More emergancy surgery. Gut surgery is always plenty painful.

I did spend 8yrs from about 9 to 17 under the sevvices of an orthodontist. I had everything they could do, except the head bracket. They never use any type of pain treatment, and I saw him every 4 weeks the whole time. He pulled 14 teeth and adjusted things all the time.

I have been in 7 car wrecks, totalling about 3 or 4 of them, one of which was a tractor trailer.

Hell, nowadays something is hurting just about all the time.

Ok, how about non-pain incident.

In the Army, at one point, I was braking trail through the most hellish elephant grass. It was unreal, never knew anything could grow like that!

When I made it out the other side, my pants were BLACK with TICKS!!! Everyone Came and sprayed me down with their bug juice and tried swatting them off.

All better I thought. Back at the barracks, ready for a shower. I drop my pants and my legs are BLACK!!!! 4 hours at the med shack, 3 medics removing ticks, me flipping out. They lost track of how many tick they pulled of me. Nothing makes for good old memories like bad times. LOL

Edited by akastormi

Without a doubt it was when I crushed my heel. I have never had so much pain, for such a long time. Six months on crutches and after another 3 months had my first surgery on my foot. Fused the joint between the heel and ankle and added 1/2" of bone from my hip in that joint before he fused it to regain the 1/2" of height I lost when my heel crushed. Three years later more surgery to help alleviate the increased pain due to arthritis and fuse a couple more joints in my foot. Each surgery is another 5 or 6 months on crutches and rehab. The pain is always there and some days are worse that others. Not hard to gain a lot of weight sitting around for three 6 month stretches. And you can throw Prostate surgery in for good measure with 7 weeks recovery time.

But life is good and at least I can still walk. Don't know for how long. Good wife and good kids make it all easier to handle....