Cleaning the bolt, bolt carrier, and pitson.

I have a few questions about cleaning the bolt, bolt carrier, and piston.

1)How often do you clean the bolt, and is it necessary to disassemble the entire thing each time like an AR15 bolt? If so or if not where on the bolt do you apply lube.

2)Where do you apply lube at on the bolt carrier, for example do you apply it only to the sliding areas or all the way up to where the piston attaches?

3)Due you lube the piston if you are not planning on storing the gun for a long time?

I've pretty much got it all down accept these areas of the gun. I guess I'm just used to the cleaning the AR15, so if anyone could help me out on these few questions I'd be really thankful.

Edited by EreadM

Since the AK platform was made to be operated and maintained by uneducated dolts, I find myself eminently qualified to add my 2 cents. I clean my Saiga every time I shoot be it 25 rounds or 200. I field strip it and clean the bolt and carrier with Hoppe's No. 9 and a toothbrush taking extra care around the extractor. I wipe the cleaned parts with a clean rag. The piston gets wiped with Hoppe's on a rag. Occasionally, I'll clean the gas block with an old 12 gauge brush.

I'm not sure if any lube is recommended but I do put a drop on the bolt shaft most times. Never anything on the piston.

There are tens of thousands of AKs out there that never see a cleaning. They may have motor oil dripped into their innards at times.

Clean it as you like.

Go easy on the lube.

And as stated - never on the piston.

Because the S12 is an AK, it's pretty forgiving about cleaning intervals. A good S12 will shoot as well dirty as it will clean. So, its really up to your individual preferences. I have put as many as 500 rounds a day for a couple of days in a row through one of my S12's before cleaning. Normally I will clean my guns weekly if they've been fired, but the number of rounds between cleanings can vary greatly.

Slathering an S12 with lubricant will cause its internals to collect dirt and grime. I can't speak for others, but I run my guns dry with the exception of one drop of oil on each rail every 250 rounds or so. The bolt is easy to disassemble and clean, and I rarely find much to clean inside the bolt even after hundreds of rounds.

The gas tube, and gas piston (puck, tappet - whatever) chamber are the dirtiest areas of the gun, with the barrel coming in a close second. To clean these areas, I use a good no residue brake or carb cleaner, on swaths of old tshirt on a cleaning rod. Just run the swatches through until the swaths come out clean, and you're good.

Make sure to clean the rail channels, and bolt channel in bolt carrier, the piston rod, and tappet thoroughly. You don't need to oil any of these parts. Just make sure they are clean and dry before you put the gun back together.

Remember one drop of oil on each of the carrier rails - that WILL make a difference in the way your gun cycles.

WS