7.62x39 Ammo question

I just ordered a SGL21 and was wondering what is the most accurate ammo in 7.62x39 at a fair price. I have heard mixed reviews about wolf ammo and came across Ulyanovsk 7.62 x 39 Ammunition on cabelas 1,000rds for 250 bucks is this stuff better or worse than wolf ammo? If you know of anything better can you stear me in the right direction?

Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. What kind of accuracy can I be expecting at 100m out of a SGL21 with decent ammo?

This is what sets the Saiga apart from many other AKs. Everyone bashes the AK for grouping 4-5 inches at 100 yards. Too many Century's have canted sites and you are lucky to get even that. The Saiga will drill 2" at 100 yards and that is amazing for what it is.

I get sub 2.5" groups at 100 yards with my SGL21 using Brown Bear HP's, shooting from one sandbag. It seems to leave less powder residue than Wolf. One thing that I don't like about that ammo is that the cartridges are sealed using some kind of red lacquer crap, which leaves residue inside the receiver. At one point, it made me think that I have some rust on the bolt of my brand new rifle. Black box Wolf doesn't have any of that.

Edited by SpetsnazGRU

I get sub 2.5" groups at 100 yards with my SGL21 using Brown Bear HP's, shooting from one sandbag. It seems to leave less powder residue than Wolf. One thing that I don't like about that ammo is that the cartridges are sealed using some kind of red lacquer crap, which leaves residue inside the receiver. At one point, it made me think that I have some rust on the bolt of my brand new rifle. Black box Wolf doesn't have any of that.

You'd probably get slightly better groups using FMJ rather than JHP. Cleaning the red lacquer residue out of your receiver is a little annoying, but I just blast it outta there with an air compressor. Also, not all Brown Bear is sealed that way. I just picked up some Brown Bear JHP that has a polymer coating rather than lacquer. I haven't fired a whole lot of it yet, but I haven't noticed any extra fouling left in the receiver by this ammo.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
  • Like 2

You'd probably get slightly better groups using FMJ rather than JHP. Cleaning the red lacquer residue out of your receiver is a little annoying, but I just blast it outta there with an air compressor. Also, not all Brown Bear is sealed that way. I just picked up some Brown Bear JHP that has a polymer coating rather than lacquer. I haven't fired a whole lot of it yet, but I haven't noticed any extra fouling left in the receiver by this ammo.

+1 on Brown Bear. I went 500 rounds of BB, then 1000 Wolf Military Classic, then 250 Silver Bear. I got best groups with Brown Bear, even though it was JHP. I just ordered BB FMJ polymer from ammunition to go.. curious what results will be.

Edited by BuzzKillin

Yeah there is that although I cant say Ive seen much of a problem with coatings fouling the chamber but then I always give the chamber a good cleaning with a 45cal brush even on brass case ammo. Like corrosive ammo it all comes down to taking care of the rifle like its important even on a rifle where it isn't much of an issue.

I just ordered a SGL21 and was wondering what is the most accurate ammo in 7.62x39 at a fair price.

I am going to say I suspect that either corbon DPX or Double Tap is going to be the best overall accuracy without moving into

custom handloads. The hornady vmax bullet used in the Double Tap is simply amazing. Someone on another board built a bolt gun

in the caliber 7.62x39 and his Vmax bullet hand loads are well...you be the judge. My hat is off to his efforts.

Now before someone comes along and starts crying about how that is a bolt gun and has nothing to do with what a saiga can print

keep in mind that ammunition being independent of the weapon platform has its own level of consistency based on its components

being as close to exactly the same from one cartridge to the next of the same ammo. Ammunition can be judged on its own without

having to include or factor in the rifle's separate inherent accuracy. Good ammo is good ammo plain and simple and it does not

become bad ammo because of the rifle you use it in. The rifle's inherent overall accuracy has more to do with how tightly it locks up

and how it vibrates during cartridge ignition in relation to any given ammo combination. If you want to see your gun's true potential,

use the very best most consistent ammunition.

HPIM1990.jpg

HPIM1966-1.jpg

I just ordered a SGL21 and was wondering what is the most accurate ammo in 7.62x39 at a fair price.

I am going to say I suspect that either corbon DPX or Double Tap is going to be the best overall accuracy without moving into

custom handloads. The hornady vmax bullet used in the Double Tap is simply amazing. Someone on another board built a bolt gun

in the caliber 7.62x39 and his Vmax bullet hand loads are well...you be the judge. My hat is off to his efforts.

Now before someone comes along and starts crying about how that is a bolt gun and has nothing to do with what a saiga can print

keep in mind that ammunition being independent of the weapon platform has its own level of consistency based on its components

being as close to exactly the same from one cartridge to the next of the same ammo. Ammunition can be judged on its own without

having to include or factor in the rifle's separate inherent accuracy. Good ammo is good ammo plain and simple and it does not

become bad ammo because of the rifle you use it in. The rifle's inherent overall accuracy has more to do with how tightly it locks up

and how it vibrates during cartridge ignition in relation to any given ammo combination. If you want to see your gun's true potential,

use the very best most consistent ammunition.

HPIM1990.jpg

HPIM1966-1.jpg

I completely agree with using the best most consistent ammo. I just bought 1,000 rds of the brown bear fmj with the polymer coating I did not see any double tap on any websites but I am definatly interested on finding out where I could get some. That bolt gun is pretty cool I would like to see how far I could push 7.62x39 out with that with accuracy I bet you could get hits at 600m if you did your dope right and were using the right handloads like a sierra matchking.

I completely agree with using the best most consistent ammo. I just bought 1,000 rds of the brown bear fmj with the polymer coating I did not see any double tap on any websites but I am definatly interested on finding out where I could get some. That bolt gun is pretty cool I would like to see how far I could push 7.62x39 out with that with accuracy I bet you could get hits at 600m if you did your dope right and were using the right handloads like a sierra matchking.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_71