Vepr .308 vs PSL 762 x 54r, which is more accurate?

So. the Vepr .308 is... of corse .308

II%20.308%202.jpg

Psl is 7.62 X 54r

psl1236210614.jpg

Which is more lethal / accurate?

A place by me has both for $800.00

Also, anyone know how abundant the PSL in .308 is?

I have herd about them, but I have never come across one.

I figure the .308 would be better for big game, but if the SHTF & the Chinese are on the horizon, that is not what they would be used for.

When I bought my PSL a few years back, I had to decide between .308 and x54. I read a few reviews on the .308 and decided against it. Main problem was the mags. They were plastic, and reportedly crap quality. They required a modification to make the bolt carrier not shatter them. Replacements were around $45 when you could get them, god knows what they are now.

I don't have any experience with VEPRs, all I can do is give you advice on the ammo. A lot more types of ammo from surplus to match grade are available in .308. If you handload, this doesn't matter because you can load whatever you want in whatever caliber. x54 does have a little bit more punch, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot than .308.

Edited by shaneman153a

Paulyski I think there both great however bang for your buck I think the PSL will win everytime. My buddy just bought one (and now I'm thinking about it), here's what he got/spent on it all. The PSL he picked up used for $580+$25 transfer fee=$605 30-10rd mags=$390 1760 Russian rounds of 7.62x54=$440.

So for all that he spent $1480.00, now I know that's a little mag heavy to start off with and you can get 200rds of 7.62x54 for $50 these days. I just like the fact that you really don't need anything more than what your buying right off the bat for the gun. In my experiance there pretty decent shooters and ammo is CHEAP.

Go spend about $700.00 and your all set!

The problem with the PSL is the Barrel. It tends to warp after shot number two. Do a quick search on the ol' google and you will find countless posts on countless boards about shooting these things with consistency when hot. Also have fun shooting anything over 147gr in it... you will have explosive results. All in all, the VEPR and even the saiga 308 are superior. So much so that I might risk being called a troll and call all you PSL guys chumps. :lolol:

jeez.....Lotta hate for the PSL I guess, well I think I'd still pick one up for collectors sake. I didn't notice the PSL loosing a whole lot of accuarcy when my buddy and I put 150 rds through his, but then again I don't expect super tight accuarcy out of this gun like some do (I guess many assume that it's used as a sniper rifle, they use it for designated marksman so I doubt it's expected to make a pinhole at 1000yds).

So I suppose I'd have to agree with Juggs on this, Saiga in .308.

I like my PSL. Even when it heats up still not bad accuracy. Only pain int he ass is not a lot of commercial light ball ammo and hard to find reloading brass/bullets. Other than that no problems. Mags are plentifull and about the same price as the saiga 308, usually less. There's a cite that sells them for $450 bare bones (no scope 1 mag) Interested, PM me.

Here is a cellphone pic I took last time I was shooting the PSL. This is rapid fire 2 mags (20rnds)at 250yrds using Russian surp light ball ammo. This was at the end. We were wrapping up and I just wanted to see what it would look like with rapid fire. Not bad IMO since the barrel was allready hot.

img00104200910251346.jpg

Edited by Arik
  • 1 month later...

Got my PSL last week and couldnt be happier with the purchase. I thought over the 308 thing and researched hard for over a month. In the end the PSL won, its well rounded and it all really depends on what you want out of the rifle. If you want a tack driver get a bolt action heavy barrel rifle designed to be such that. If you want something with just a nice range good accuracy and thats a hoot to shoot your not going to go wrong with anything you listed. If your a working man and money is a concern and will be down the road when it comes into buying ammo mags etc then factor that into the picture. Either way whatever it is you buy in the end you will be happy its yours when you get it in your hands.

Got my PSL last week and couldnt be happier with the purchase. I thought over the 308 thing and researched hard for over a month. In the end the PSL won, its well rounded and it all really depends on what you want out of the rifle. If you want a tack driver get a bolt action heavy barrel rifle designed to be such that. If you want something with just a nice range good accuracy and thats a hoot to shoot your not going to go wrong with anything you listed. If your a working man and money is a concern and will be down the road when it comes into buying ammo mags etc then factor that into the picture. Either way whatever it is you buy in the end you will be happy its yours when you get it in your hands.

Congratulations on your new rifle. The inability to use heavy ball ammo was always a bit of a turn off for me whenever I thought about getting a PSL of my own, but I've heard there is an adjustable gas block out now that let's heavy ball and the even heavier 203 grain ammo be used without problem (for those who are willing to put up the money, time, and effort of pressing off the old gas block and pressing on the adjustable one anyway), so I think now I'll probably go ahead and get one (at least once I am able to get the money saved up for it anyway).