Saiga Rifles at an Appleseed Project Shhoting Event?

Has anyone here ever attended an Appleseed Project Shooting event and used their Saiga rifle in that event?

I am working on getting one of these events going again in Maine and will likely be using my Saiga .223 in that two day program if it comes to pass. If anyone else has used their Saiga in one of these programs before I would love to hear about it.

Maine Marshal

Has anyone here ever attended an Appleseed Project Shooting event and used their Saiga rifle in that event?

I am working on getting one of these events going again in Maine and will likely be using my Saiga .223 in that two day program if it comes to pass. If anyone else has used their Saiga in one of these programs before I would love to hear about it.

Maine Marshal

The one I went to allowed only 22 rimfire, but that was because of the location. I'm planning to attend another in the spring, and I'll be bringing my Saiga to that one. It is certainly an accurate enough rifle to achieve a rifleman score, assuming I do my part.

All the ones in Ohio only allow .22/ rimfire rifles

Must be something unique to Ohio. Appleseed has always been "bring what ya got, run what ya brung."

this is taken from their website on what to bring, just a copy and paste job

"Rifle preferably zeroed for 25 meters

400+ rounds of the same type and brand of ammo

Sight adjustment tools

GI style web Sling

5 Mags unloaded if not more. 20rds works well if State law allows

Gun cleaning supplies and lube

Instructions for your rifle (if you have them)

Know your rifle

Something to cover your rifle to keep blowing sand or rain off it.

Staple gun (if you already have one)

Staples

Know the laws of the State you are going to and only bring that which is

within the law.

Back-up rifle (if you have one)"

Guy I know who went said there were mainly SKS's followed by ar15s followed by AKs when he went. Really looking forward to going myself some time

Edited by volkov

Appleseed is an excellent program! Can't recommend it highly enough.

The idea is to learn practical techniques for accurate shooting without a benchrest or bipod. They teach use of slings for support. You'll be shooting standing, sitting/kneeling, prone, with sling support in all positions if you bring a sling.

A Ruger 10/22 makes a very affordable and easy way to earn the rifleman patch. The Appleseeds I've seen have had lots of 10/22's, with AR's being 2nd most common. You can qualify Rifleman on the AQT with a bolt action or commie rifle.... it's just a little harder. The idea is to learn to shoot whatever you have better, so go ahead and take your AK.

• Like 1

yeah this resparked my interest in it.. last time I'd thought about it here wasn't one in the area for a while.. still partially true, it'll be a bit of a drive- was watching some vids though and your right, the ruger 22 does seem to be the most popular.. But since it's to train civilians to be competent rifle men, think I'm going to take a competent military rifle when I go. Nothing against the .22s tho!

:killer:

..... But since it's to train civilians to be competent rifle men, think I'm going to take a competent military rifle when I go. Nothing against the .22s tho!

The marksmanship training is just that.....training. It is applicable to any rifle you later pick up. The only thing you can do wrong, regrading an Appleseed shoot, is to not attend! ;)

..... But since it's to train civilians to be competent rifle men, think I'm going to take a competent military rifle when I go. Nothing against the .22s tho!

The marksmanship training is just that.....training. It is applicable to any rifle you later pick up. The only thing you can do wrong, regrading an Appleseed shoot, is to not attend! ;)

well.. or attend drunk and unequipped that might not go over well

they have a pretty detailed list of stuff to bring

Well, Appleseed is biased towards shooting with a sling support, but for good reason. Just about any rifle can accept a sling, whether it's the forearm is floated or not.

If you show up at an Appleseed with a rifle that's got sling swivel mounts, but no sling, you'll probably have 4 or 5 people offer you a G.I. web sling. I scored a solid dozen of 'em last time I swung by the local Army-Navy store. Buck a piece, FTW.

Not to knock unsupported shooting... but if you have a sling you might as well learn to use it. It's good stuff.

Besides, earning a rifleman patch with an AK is badass. You can do it!

Shot my 7.62x39 at an Appleseed in October on the known distance range out to 400m. Depending on where the range is, the number of instructors/students, etc each event is a little different and you may shoot full distance or just concentrate on 25m. I've heard people who have never been before scoff at the short distance, but it's definitely challenging and you won't be bored or disappointed. They pack a lot of information and training into those two days. Take the .22lr and your .223. Get your basics in with the .22lr and save some dough. As mentioned, everything you learn transfers to any rifle so you might as well save a little money on the ammo.

FYI: You'll burn around 500 rounds so if you're shooting .223 the whole time that adds up pretty quickly... You can buy a new 10/22 with the money you'll spend that way.

Great program, good people, and I highly recommend it to anyone that will listen. I grew up shooting, but this was probably the best $70 I've ever spent. I learned a lot.

Edited by spitstickler