Can't remember where, but somewhere I mentioned I was going to be tryng JB weld for the rivet holes.. Just wanted to say it turned out great for anyone interested in going this route.

Done it on three guns now, all look great.

What I did was just take some tape over the outside of the holes, keep your finger on it to keep it on, then just take a small amount of JB weld and with a toothpick lightly cover the hole from the inside of the gun, apply moderate pressure to push the JB weld into the hole fully, but keep your finger over the tape on the other side to make sure it stays in place. When you remove the tape the next day the hole should be filled and flush.

Just use a little.. you only really want to cover the hole, not spread JB weld throughout the entire gun. I also recommend removing EVERYTHING first, you can get a better shot at it from the stock hole and obviously it's better not to have the FCG in in case you acidently put some on it.

Was hesitant to give results I put a few hundred rounds through the saiga 12 with it on the firing range.. just in case, and everything checks out.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I totally agree I used J-B Weld on one of my S12's and after + 300 rounds is holding up great, did mine by putting the the tape inside the receiver and after 24 hrs took down excess with small orbital sander then painted with Brownells Aluma Hyde II. I am updating that S12 so it's getting ready for some fresh paint. I also think the Aluma Hyde II also assists in the bond. So save a head ache spend $6.00 bucks and have great results.

Oh and for you non believers, you can also use J-B Weld on your receivers to cover up those nasty grind marks that so many get from over grinding the weld....:haha: kind of like bondo and will be just fine after coating.

JB.bmp

• 5 weeks later...

guess if the thread's gonna get ressurrected I'll continue- done this on several rifles now having done helped on conversions for friends- at least one rifle is at 1000+ rounds and holding up great. No problems yet.

Edited by volkov

Why not just put a rivet in the hole??? If you dont like the look of the rivet, countersink it and then put it in there. Not that hard, takes 2min. And alot more professional that slapping JB weld on your rifle b/c you are afraid to actually work on it. Same with the bullet guide. Really how hard is it to drill a hole and tap it? If you are having problems with this, maybe you should let someone that knows what they are doing work on your rifle.

just fill it with a little puddle of weld. i just did 6 holes on a s20 and there really isnt that much heat distributed thru the receiver. i could touch within 3/4" after filling and not burn my finger.

• 4 months later...

Not the worst idea I've ever heard, but it's close.

Mr. Ash-- FYI I always respect your opinion.

I totally get the aversion to JB weld as a sign of sloppy half done work... That said,what's so bad about it this has got to be about the least critical thing someone can do to their gun. This is merely a cosmetic touch, and if it looks clean, what difference would it make? After all, your awesome weapon light is made from the cheapest crappiest light you can get at home depot, and it works and looks great. Whether you are going by function or looks your mod is a winner. I think you could apply the funciton or looks test to filling the holes with JBweld and find the same outcome.

Pictures would be worth a thousand words and would like to see some pics on the inside. I figured the outside hole would need to be countersunk a little to get some of that edge off the JB weld to catch and keep it in place, essentially making it a rivet that blends in.

Plastic plugs or JB Weld...what's the difference? Does anyone really gawk at their rifle so much that it matters one way or the other?

As for a JB Weld bullet guide...why not just drill and tap a proper one? Murphy's law...that things gonna fail when you need it most.

Use a foil backed metal tape(speed tape) on the inside of the receiver to control the JB weld flow. It will allow the JB weld to set almost completely flush on inside. Tape around the diameter of the outside of the receiver holes. let it set, sand and paint.

Holes should fill up nicely if used properly.

Sand the JB Weld flush and smooth before refinishing the receiver and you'll never know the holes were there. Better than putting plastic plugs or useless rivets in the holes. I've got an aversion to welding on a heat treated receiver also. Too much heat and you can ruin it easily.

Nathan

• 1 month later...

JB Weld, assuming we are talking about the long-cure original product (Industrial Cold Weld Compound), is well suited for certain repairs and fixes. It works best when it fits flush, and has a mechanical lock to grasp. For the application discussed in this thread it should work fine. I would recommend using a small, thin patch of fiberglass fabric or plastic drywall tape just large enough to cover the hole, soaked with JB Weld before cure, on the inside. It will form a re-enforced backing and a mechanical lock combined with the hole. Outside filled and finished and you should have a strong hole plug, unlikely to shake loose, invisible when painted. JB Weld will hold up to extreme temperatures as well.

I used JB Weld to hold my bullet guide into place for test/proveout, before drilling a hole in the trunnion. After an 8 hour cure, it held in place for over a hundred rounds without a hitch. I then drilled & tapped and screwed it in permanently. I would not depend on it to hold for that kind of purpose for an extended period.

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me what size rivet (length and diameter) and what type (swell neck or standard) they used on the rear of their reciever to fill formal trigger pin holes? Also, what method or tool did you use to deform?

Any ideas for a bucking bar if one were to rivet the bullet guide in as well?

Sorry of this is a re-hash but searching keeps on making the flood filter angry.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Ash-- FYI I always respect your opinion.

I totally get the aversion to JB weld as a sign of sloppy half done work... That said,what's so bad about it this has got to be about the least critical thing someone can do to their gun. This is merely a cosmetic touch, and if it looks clean, what difference would it make? After all, your awesome weapon light is made from the cheapest crappiest light you can get at home depot, and it works and looks great. Whether you are going by function or looks your mod is a winner. I think you could apply the funciton or looks test to filling the holes with JBweld and find the same outcome.

I honestly don't mind seeing this on other people's guns, but personally I would just leave the holes if I couldn't weld them.

It's not some kind of elitism. I don't care how much a guys spends.

• Like 1

...and it's not as hard to weld them as you think. Hit the hole, quench with a rag.

Tony TIGs them but I wouldn't be afraid to hit them with a MIG if that was all I had.

Or maybe countersink the hole, and use a screw that was ground down enough to be flush. lots of mechanically sound ways to skin the cat. Don't a lot of guys use the internal block to mount their stocks? Even more options.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have access to a welder, otherwise I'd fill with weld for the best long term solution. I have used the plastic plugs temporarily, not sure if anything permanent might affect my ability to fit the Fostech Bumpski I have on order. Once I have it in I will decide whether to fill in the holes. (I have to say, the plastic hole plugs look pretty good!)

I do have a press and some riveting tools, so for a permanent solution I would lightly countersink the outside, then rivet with the rivet head on the inside and grind the rivet flush, similar to like I did with the 2 holes resulting from the trigger guard move.

Edited by vicdoc

Okay the whole worst

How in the world is this close to the worst idea you've ever heard? the gun would be just find if you left the holes there without anything in them. and i think filling with JB weld is better than nothing, i personally used plastic hole plugs but thats more for conveniance than anything else

I used to be concerned about what the gun looks like, you can spend a little or a lot on looks. Now I really don't care what it looks like, as long as it performs. Also it's your gun, do what you want. Just don't be surprised if someone does not share your opinion.

Fair enough. I have been considering using rivets as hole fillers on mine, but I can't seem to find less than a hundred of them anywhere.

You might already know this..

AK Builder .com has a receiver rivet kit for $9.

Should be enough choice in a kit, to fill the four side holes.

I like the rivet idea myself. I might have to give that a go sometime with the "modded bolt cutter rivet press".

...and it's not as hard to weld them as you think. Hit the hole, quench with a rag.

Bob, Is it best to MIG one, quench, let cool and then rinse repeat for the other holes. Or OK to jump right into the one next to it while the first is still hot?