Naked gas block... what to use for finish?

I picked up a gas block front sight combo from KREBS (Really nice people to deal with)

Its basically raw metal. So two questions:

1) What should I use as a finish on it to match the saiga black?

2) Should I apply the finish on the inside as well or just externally?

KTR-GasBlock786High.jpg

Thanks!

V.

Image courtesy of http://www.krebscustom.com/

If I were you I would redo the entire gun with duracoat. It is pretty easy, looks great, and is great quality. Those look way too nice to use bbq paint. I would recommend covering the inside, just don't put it on so thick that it changes the diameter. If it isn't stainless, don't leave it exposed to elements IMO.

If I were you I would redo the entire gun with duracoat. It is pretty easy, looks great, and is great quality. Those look way too nice to use bbq paint. I would recommend covering the inside, just don't put it on so thick that it changes the diameter. If it isn't stainless, don't leave it exposed to elements IMO.

Do I need to strip the original coating first? If so, got any advice?

Thanks!

V

Thanks!

V

I'm interested in the answer to this too. How do I strip the paint off the gun completely?

Thanks!

V

I have only done one in duracoat so I am not the most experienced. I did not strip the original finish all the way off. I did sand and smooth it with steal wool and left it on as a primer. I had no problems with it and it looked great. Granted, I didn't go to battle with it to test how it would stand up.

when we strip paint for a refinish on a gun, we use fine media in a sand blaster and blast the paint off. you then degrease the gun with brake cleaner or the like until you see nothing coming out of the joining areas of the parts to the gun.

if its just the one part, I would suggest you go the cheap route (which does match pretty good and is durable as hell) and take the part to the local car shop, put it in a tank and blast it, throw it in a ziplock baggie, bring it home and coat it with black BBQ paint (hell of a lot cheaper than a can of gun black and works damn good in a pinch) then cook it in your oven for an hour at 250

Tom uses a Brownell's product for our finishes, FYI.

• Like 1

Someone mentioned something called "Stripper" that you put on the gun, then 15 minutes later wipe off along with the paint. Couldn't find anything like that though in my searches, but I need something like that...

Why do you need to strip it all the way? Again, mine didn't come off and I have not heard stories of people having trouble if they painted over the original finish. As long as it is degreased you will not have a problem.

Someone mentioned something called "Stripper" that you put on the gun, then 15 minutes later wipe off along with the paint. Couldn't find anything like that though in my searches, but I need something like that...

Why do you need to strip it all the way? Again, mine didn't come off and I have not heard stories of people having trouble if they painted over the original finish. As long as it is degreased you will not have a problem.

Simple: I screwed up the paint job the first time I tried it. I need to start over.

Jim

I would consider soaking in in stripper before you media blast. Why drive all that old soft paint into crevices? I would love to hear from one of the Pros on the validity of this idea!

I'm leaning towards Duggers recommendation. Duracoat says it can be applied to painted surfaces, they just need to be degreased. Roughing it up with some sandpaper probably is a good idea too. I don't have a blaster, and I'm not EVER messing with stripper again. Now, Strippers.... have a whole different set of precautions, and I am messing with them again. :smoke:

Simple: I screwed up the paint job the first time I tried it. I need to start over.

Jim

Thats no problem Jim. get some different grits of steal wool and that old paint will come right off to a point where it won't be messed up. I am speaking from experience on this one. The first time I ever painted a gun was with bbq paint in my bathroom in the middle of winter. Needless to say, my wife wasn't happy. I had flaws that were easily rubbed out with wool and it came out perfect. You can do it!