• Truglo
    • Millet SP-2 (30mm)
    • BSA
    • Barska
    • Konus
    • Brunton HALO
    • Other Type..

Hi Folks,

I managed to grab a UTG 5th gen QuikDetach mount for $18 shipped NIB off GB.

I was looking at the following red-dots for my 7.62x39 Saiga with 16" bbl:

Barska, BSA, Truglo, Konus Sight Pro 7245 (40mm) /7244 (30mm) /7247 (20mm) variety, & Millet SP-2. All between $50-95 3-5 MOA size dot's.

If anyone knows of a good 'open-style' (aka halo) feel free to suggest also.

2x varieties may come into play depending on comments and suggestions from you folks.

I've been tossing about these options for 4 months and now I got bitten by the BUG again.

Which one should I go for?? Anyone with actual usage on Saiga's or AK variants with how well they have HELD-UP would be appreciated.

Edited by YWHIC--OutOfLine
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Millet SP-2!   But generally scopes are one of the things were you get what you pay for...

It is hard to use a sight as a reflex sight, that is with both eyes open, if it has much over 1.5X power in my experience. YMMV.   On the other hand, and this is the Azrial "Tip of the Day"...  

Albert, not everyone can afford a sight that "craps out." I think it would be a great idea when folks solicit these polls if they would post their interned usage. If your rifle is little more then a r

Posted Images

I have two red dots I got under 100.. one is the A1 halo optic

http://www.thehuntersmall.com/a1ophareddot.html

note: DO NOT BELIEVE THE "normal price" thats absolute bullshit, these things are available everywhere for 60ish.. Hasn't made it to the range yet but so far it looks good- I'm really wanting to see how durable it is. Limitted lifetime warranty too.

other red dot I've owned was just a tasco cheapy from walmart for 30 bucks.. Held it's zero well after a lot of rounds put through it, I just ditched it because I didn't like how it looked on my rifle- I enjoyed it at 100 yards though, pretty accurate

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2470230&CAWELAID=116500109

other problem with the above for me was it was too wide for where it sat and I couldn't get to the screws to remove the UHG (UTG quadrail) to clean the gas tube without taking it off the rail.. Irritated me.

edit: just giving you my 2 cents on two cheaper ones, I havn't owned any of the others so I can't give you an opinion

Edited by volkov

The A1 Optic looks interesting. The Tasco looks like the Barska's.

BSA and Tru-glo 'HALO' type look the same also... hmmm.

Someone mentioned a HALO type not to long ago that was clear, thin-edged, & reliable and decent priced. Can't remember the brand.

Lets see, I have 1 Konus, 1 Millet, and 1 other vote so far.

Would the Konus in 30 mm be big enough or should I go with 40mm. I notice the Konus 20mm is smaller BUT they called that an Pro Atomic on one site and wanted $115. Confusing.....

The Konus Site Pro go for $45-75 and the Millet is like $72 or so. I'm going to assume the Konus Site Pro and Atomics have to be close in reliability

Any other FEEDBACK on ANY of these folks??!?

I have a konus pro atomic, I like it pretty good but I haven't had very long either.

Pros, works great and so far appears to be very durable, I have mine mounted on my 7.62x39 on an ultimak gas tube. I tested it to see how well it would resist heat so I dumped 7 30 mags and it held up fine. Also it looks like an ampoint mrico which is sweet.

Cons, the only negative thing about it is that the portion of the sight that projects the dot sticks up slightly on the bottom of the tube. I Had to raise my sights a little so I can co-witness (my 300m is now my new 100m, and yes I did raise the front sight also).

Hope this helps

Can you keep BOTH eyes open with the MILLET or Konus 'tube' types or are they just 'one eye' focus..??<BR><BR>I keep getting more and more OT so I may end up buying 2 at this rate... lol.. <BR><BR>Also just noticed how the Millet looks just like the Bushnell Trophy Red Dot (some reviews said smaller than 6moa dot also).

It is hard to use a sight as a reflex sight, that is with both eyes open, if it has much over 1.5X power in my experience. YMMV.

On the other hand, and this is the Azrial "Tip of the Day"... :D

ANY red dot sight, no matter what its power, may be used as a reflex sight if you put a lens cap over the objective end and keep both eyes open. The red dot will superimpose over your vision.

Try it!

• Like 2

Well the Bushnell RD Trophy is like $55 (aka 6moa) and the Millet is $75.

Then there is the Mueller (sp) Halo site also. Supposedly good also... It looks like the A1 optic ($90 difference)..

I'm going to vote for the Tasco Propoint 1x25mm red dot. I used one mounted to an Ultimak for about 5 years now, and it still works great. Been through multiple carbine classes and still works great. It co-witnesses perfectly with the stock rings. It's not an airsoft red dot.

Jasons%20AKs%20002.jpg

Jasons%20AKs%20005.jpg

Edited by Parf

that is a fricken badass paint job btw...

Did you just spray it gray and then use a vent of some sort as a stencil? Looks awesome!

(yeah I'm off topic, but thats sweet)

I saw a similar paint job on another site, and the guy used women's fishnet stockings overlayed to get that effect. Pretty funny, but apparently very effective. (I'm not saying that's what Parf did, though)

that is a fricken badass paint job btw...

Did you just spray it gray and then use a vent of some sort as a stencil? Looks awesome!

(yeah I'm off topic, but thats sweet)

I saw a similar paint job on another site, and the guy used women's fishnet stockings overlayed to get that effect. Pretty funny, but apparently very effective. (I'm not saying that's what Parf did, though)

Mesh laundry bag. Works great. Thanks for the compliments!

Got my $2 UTG 978 (Quik-Detach) scope rail in today. Nice and centered. Got it off GB. Total was like $18 ($2 for the mount and $16 s/h) was NIB.

Now to decide on the red-dot scope to get. Any other suggestions... Gun show Jan 8th...

post-8775-12616178472378_thumb.jpg

post-8775-12616178725348_thumb.jpg

Merry Xmas to me. The BEST $18 I EVER spent.

Well, the Millet is out in front so far, according to the poll................

I think I'm going to go big on my next optics purchase. I had an EoTech, and kinda liked it. But ended up selling it after a lil bit to get some money for other projects. I really want an Aimpoint, but can't really justify the price right now. I saw a sigline on another forum that said "Aimpoint: Because your next battery hasn't even been made yet". :lolol:

Edited by -Shooter-

http://www.thehuntersmall.com/a1ophareddot.html

note: DO NOT BELIEVE THE "normal price" thats absolute bullshit, these things are available everywhere for 60ish.. Hasn't made it to the range yet but so far it looks good- I'm really wanting to see how durable it is. Limitted lifetime warranty too.

Just a follow up.. Took it to the range, fired a good amount of rounds.. did some bumpfiring- held it's zero and lined up naturally.. liked it a lot

Edit: new follow up. Although it performed well on the range.. I was tinkering with it and found that the vertical alignment is easily changed just by grabbing the optic with your hand and twisting... Either I'm doing something wrong (could not find anywhere to tighten) or this thing blows. Good at handling recoil but any moderate pressure applied to the optic itself causes some serious issues.

Edited by volkov

Even though I can and would recommend the Tasco I showed above, I would never buy anything other than an Aimpoint micro for an AK again. It's just freeking perfect.

I'd like another Aimpoint Micro, because, as you said, it's perfect for the AK. But I may grab something else for the other AK simply on account of economics.

Can the Tasco you mentioned be used in the rain? Also, what kind of battery life does it have?

Thanks.

Edited by Jim Digriz

Is the ProPoint only available for Weaver-style mounts? I have a K-VAR Picatinny rail that I need another dot for.

Weaver accessories fit on Weaver or picatinny rails. Picatinny accessories only fit on picatinny rails.

Is the ProPoint only available for Weaver-style mounts? I have a K-VAR Picatinny rail that I need another dot for.

Weaver accessories fit on Weaver or picatinny rails. Picatinny accessories only fit on picatinny rails.

Thanks Parf.

One more question: Have you ever run the Tasco in the rain? If so, did the optic stay on and usable?

Thanks Parf.

One more question: Have you ever run the Tasco in the rain? If so, did the optic stay on and usable?

It was fine in the rain, but we never get real, all day rainstorms here. Short heavy bursts and then done.

It says parralex for the 25mm Pro Point is 50 yards????

How does this affect 100 yard shots (if at all)??? Also, does anyone know of flip-up covers that will fit this model??

http://www.opticsplanet.net/tasco-1x25-propoint.html

I also just saw an ATN Halo for $100 +/- any input on this brand/type???

I noticed Bushnell also has 'Pro Points' and look almost identical to the Tasco.