1. 1. Which under $100 Red Dot

• Truglo
    • Millet SP-2 (30mm)
    • BSA
    • Barska
    • Konus
    • Brunton HALO
    • Other Type..

Thanks Shooter... Any other options or suggestions from anyone???

The UTG mount I have seems to LEVEL with the rear site so co-witness won't happen. I can just peek over the mount and see the front site PIN/POST.

Should I dremel a notch down the length/middle of the top rail so I can still use the iron sites, or just mark/notch the 'rear' edge of it to align with the front site PIN/POST???? Thie may allow me co-witness abit???

(Car ran me $700 today for inspection B/S repairs so I am now having to wait 2 more weeks at least on this.....)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Millet SP-2!   But generally scopes are one of the things were you get what you pay for...

It is hard to use a sight as a reflex sight, that is with both eyes open, if it has much over 1.5X power in my experience. YMMV.   On the other hand, and this is the Azrial "Tip of the Day"...  

Albert, not everyone can afford a sight that "craps out." I think it would be a great idea when folks solicit these polls if they would post their interned usage. If your rifle is little more then a r

Posted Images

Hi Folks,

I managed to grab a UTG 5th gen QuikDetach mount for $18 shipped NIB off GB.

I was looking at the following red-dots for my 7.62x39 Saiga with 16" bbl:

Barska, BSA, Truglo, Konus Sight Pro 7245 (40mm) /7244 (30mm) /7247 (20mm) variety, & Millet SP-2. All between $50-95 3-5 MOA size dot's.

If anyone knows of a good 'open-style' (aka halo) feel free to suggest also.

2x varieties may come into play depending on comments and suggestions from you folks.

I've been tossing about these options for 4 months and now I got bitten by the BUG again.

Which one should I go for?? Anyone with actual usage on Saiga's or AK variants with how well they have HELD-UP would be appreciated.

I have a Leapers Swatforce red/green dot on my saiga 7.62x39. Its on a aluminum quick detachable side mount. I zeroed it in very easily and the rifle is very accurate using it. 49.99 So far so good.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't really give you much in the way of advice since this is all new to me and I wouldn't know a good optic from a bad one. Since I don't intend to go into battle anytime soon I felt comfortable sampling a few of the lower-cost clone options.

I bought a Primary Arms Microdot and a Sightmark Sure Shot holo-type sight. My intention was to see what style I like better without spending a lot of money. Both are 1x and I find it easy to use either with both eyes open. So the final verdict is that I like both types of sights very much, maybe a slight bias to the holo.

Looks like we're neighbors. If you want to try them out we can try to meet up at a range.

Edited by Nailbomb
Removed links to Non-Buisness members
  • 2 weeks later...

Klassy hows the function on the TRS-25???

photoshooter.. Did you have a chance to shoot with the Sure Shot yet??

BTW.. Optics Planet is running a sale on red-dots down to $9 for some 'cheapy' type ones if anyone cares.

Well. Tacso Pro Point 25mm with 5 moa lost out to a Bushnell 1x28 Trophy RD 730131 for only $65 shipped.

Granted it says 6moa vs. 5moa (Tasco and most others) but considering my current group looks like a gang type shooting (aka spread out like a bitch) ANYTHING will be better.

Ordered today will be in by Friday. Will be going shooting 2 weeks from today and will post MY results here.

Thank you all.

Almost went with Sureshot HALO ($50 )but I need more feedback on how the lenses all holding IN/up on HALOs with 30 cals...

photoshooter.. Did you have a chance to shoot with the Sure Shot yet??

Hey YW, sorry I somehow missed this post.

I put the SureShot on my Sig 522 and had some fun with it. So far I like it and it works as advertised but I was shooting 22LR. It would probably hold up ok on an AK but it's a $30 holo sight so I don't have very high expectations. At some point I'd like to get something better but it's low priority. I think you did better by going with the Bushnell. Looks like it gets good reviews. I still have a Primary Arms microdot floating around; I may put that on an AK but for now I've been having a lot of fun shooting iron sights.

Got the Bushnell in today.. 28mm tube with 6 moa dot (looks smaller though) IMHO.

Fits the UTG QD rail great.

Heres a pic with it on the rifle.. Nice for $65 OTD.. 027.gif

post-8775-12665460801189_thumb.jpg

post-8775-12665462487549_thumb.jpg

Range next weekend hopefully..

Edited by YWHIC--OutOfLine
  • 2 months later...

Check out http://primaryarms.com/ got a red dot off there early this year a M@ clone and so far its been great and held up perfectly off my AR.

I just picked up one of these myself, while my friend picked up one of their microdots for one of his builds. These are turning out to be excellent sights for the money, and their shipping is incredibly fast. I got a shipping notification only a couple hours after ordering.

2labgxc.jpg

They also sell this mount that fits 30mm tubes. I can co-witness my irons in the bottom of the sight picture.

I'm going to go out and see if I can put it through it's paces soon.

• 1 month later...

Try Primary Arms...(I bought it for my personal AR) I have been using it on my M4 at work and no Issues... (Just so you know my real one from work is a Aimpoint Micro T-1 Sight )

They even cary ak rail mounts.

http://www.primaryarms.com/category.sc;jsessionid=08F37A5DF079C280BF1C4C49AD781E60.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=5

Check em out...

I also have a micro Bushnell that I mounted on my SAIGA.... I have only fired about 18 rounds before my trunnion cracked so I can not comment on the bushnell holding up..

I also have a micro Bushnell that I mounted on my SAIGA.... I have only fired about 18 rounds before my trunnion cracked so I can not comment on the bushnell holding up..

Have a thread documenting that or wanna elaborate? Is it fixed yet?

Have a thread documenting that or wanna elaborate? Is it fixed yet?

I did a write up in Saiga .223 ( I don't want to hijack this thread on that subject)

So on the Bushnell I put my UTG 1" riser and ran it on my work M4 all day..(about 200 rds) running a stress course, multiple drills and such.

Out door light was very bright, and air temp around 89. The busnell held zero, the dot picked up the target great even in the bright sun.

In the pics I also have a Centerpoint 2-7 with a UTG Side mount. When it is attached you can pick up the red dot through the 2-7...

A few pics to put things in perspective.

:eek:

post-19827-057379000 1277053216_thumb.jpg

post-19827-014821000 1277053299_thumb.jpg

post-19827-024228000 1277053335_thumb.jpg

post-19827-029153300 1277053450_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have about 500 rounds thru my setup and thus far holding up great.

Did some 200 yards shooting today and kept most in a 10" or so ring.. I have the 6 MOA dot Bushnell Trophy (not the 3,6,10,cross hair one) so at 100 yards its did well. At 200 yards the 6 MOA made life shaky, but the target was DOA with the Saiga AK47 cal..

Put a Range Report under the 7.62x39 Section if anyone has any RD accuracy reports to reply to THAT thread with...??

Albert

• 2 months later...

How about a poll option of, "I would never waste my money with any of this cheap crap?" Scopes are one of those things where real quality costs money.

If you are buying it strictly for looks and to show off to your brother-in-law why not just use paint-ball gear? When a guy shows me a rifle decked out in this kind of crap, it say a lot about him. None of it good.

• Like 1

Azrial.. back in Feb 2010 I went with the Bushnell Trophy 6MOA Red Dot based on feedback from this forum.

It came down to Bushnell or the Primary Arms Micro Dot.

Two weeks ago I updated to the Bushnell 3, 10, 65/3, cross-hair model for small groups at 200 yards..

I use IRONS decently so if my $100 RD craps out I'm not going to :cryss: at all.

The forums response was Bushnell or possibly PA Micro..

I have a horrible theory that scopes/red dots should not be more than 1/4-1/3 of the cost of the rifle that they are going on.

I KNOW alot of people have read this post thinking the same thing '$100 for a sight is my budget too'..

While I'd like an EoTech 65/1 for $400.. its not happening on MOST peoples budgets.

Albert

• Like 1

Azrial.. back in Feb 2010 I went with the Bushnell Trophy 6MOA Red Dot based on feedback from this forum.

It came down to Bushnell or the Primary Arms Micro Dot.

Two weeks ago I updated to the Bushnell 3, 10, 65/3, cross-hair model for small groups at 200 yards..

I use IRONS decently so if my $100 RD craps out I'm not going to :cryss: at all.

The forums response was Bushnell or possibly PA Micro..

I have a horrible theory that scopes/red dots should not be more than 1/4-1/3 of the cost of the rifle that they are going on.

I KNOW alot of people have read this post thinking the same thing '$100 for a sight is my budget too'..

While I'd like an EoTech 65/1 for $400.. its not happening on MOST peoples budgets. Albert

Albert, not everyone can afford a sight that "craps out." I think it would be a great idea when folks solicit these polls if they would post their interned usage. If your rifle is little more then a range toy, mount whatever you like on there. If it has a serious usage, as I have said, scopes are no place to scrimp. For what you paid for two cheap scopes you could have been well on your way to a used Eotech, surely you could have budgeted the difference in that if you cared about quality?

• Like 2

Bushnell RD works fine for me and some others on here.. the Primary Arms Microdot is used by others..

What do you run on yours?? do you have pics of you EoTech mounted on your Saiga?? I doubt it HIGHLY.

No offense but being a cop doesn't mean shit these days to most of us in case you missed the NEWS FLASH..

I respect most on here, GeorgiaPD being 1st.

Stop clogging up MY posts with YOUR shit/banter.

Again, sincerely..

Albert

Bushnell RD works fine for me and some others on here.. the Primary Arms Microdot is used by others..

What do you run on yours?? do you have pics of you EoTech mounted on your Saiga?? I doubt it HIGHLY.

No offense but being a cop doesn't mean shit these days to most of us in case you missed the NEWS FLASH..

I respect most on here, GeorgiaPD being 1st.

Stop clogging up MY posts with YOUR shit/banter.

Again, sincerely..

Albert

Albert, you might want to use Email or PM if you wnat to limit who may respond to your posts.

I use an Aimpoint M68 on the one AK I own that I bother to scope and my M4. I use an EoTech on my DSA ParaFAL.

My rifles are not toys.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Bushnell Red Dot works fine for me and some others on here.. the Primary Arms Microdot is used by others..

I use an Aimpoint M68 on the one AK I own that I bother to scope and my M4. I use an EoTech on my DSA ParaFAL.

My rifles are not toys.

Nice setups Azrial...

But this is for $100 (or so) red-dot suggestions thread... which means you don't need to chime in on this thread..

BTW.. I had decided to go with Bushnell back on July 10th (see posts).. so your post on Sept 13th.. makes it seem like your just bashin' me.. :nonono:

This is a good/great thread for people (whom like me) are on a budget.

Al

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Albert, we are all on budgets, the difference is that I will wait until I can afford something worth having and "some" will buy the first POS that they can get their hands on to have "the look." I am not bashing you, I could care less what you buy. But others will read this thread and I would like to help them avoid the mistake that you have already made. I know that these computer "gadgets" can be complicated to "some," but please, take the time to learn the basic difference between an email sent directly to you and a website that is designed to be read by thousands of other people... :lolol:

So, speaking to the world again... This thread reminds me of some guy I saw at a local gun shop the other day, he was showing off to his bubdy the next color variation of a cheap crap auto pistol that he was going to buy. It was just a plated and anodized variation of the same junk handgun that he already had several examples of in his "collection." He could have bought one or two qulity pistols for what he has wasted on acquiring a collection of crap. All because he wanted to pretend that he was a "collector."

IMHO, someone would be better off with one (1) quality rifle, set up with a decent scope, they an whole truck full of unworkable trash. If any of this stuff works "fine" for you, great, but that is only because you have never put it to any usage more severe then dropping it six inches onto your padded shooter mat at the local range. You will never see this stuff on any working pro's rifle and it marks you as a hack to those that know.

Kind of like arguing about a given rifles accuracy when you don't know the basic difference between intrinsic accuracy and marksmanship...

This has been a public service announcement, Caveat emptor!

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 1

IMHO, someone would be better off with one (1) quality rifle, set up with a decent scope, they an whole truck full of unworkable trash. If any of this stuff works "fine" for you, great, but that is only because you have never put it to any usage more severe then dropping it six inches onto your padded shooter mat at the local range.

+1 to this.

I considered earlier in this thread getting a Primary Arms Micro Dot for one of my rifles. I've already spent a fair amount of money on Aimpoints after all. I figured that I could designate that Saiga a practice rifle. But then I realized that I don't want any practice rifles - at least not when it comes to my AKs - I want only fighting rifles that I can practice with. So that rifle is still without a dot of any sort, until I can afford another Aimpoint Micro. It may be a while, but at least I know that the irons won't fail me like a cheap red dot might. If a red dot cannot be counted to not die during a bad moment, whether on account of short battery life, inability to take a beating, or wet/dry/cold/hot weather, I don't want it on my rifle.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1

Al, what's important IMHO is whether the total system - rifle, optic, optics mount, sling, magazines, muzzle device, etc. - is able to reliably accomplish the purpose chosen for it, not the cost of one component in relation to the others. This is why, for instance, I choose to use magazines tested by the world's various militaries in harsh conditions. This may cost a bit more, although having reliable components is not necessarily a function of cost. 5.45 surplus mags go for $10; as another example, I use $7 SKS slings (which are are quieter and lighter than standard AK slings).

Edited by Jim Digriz

Jim.

I agree. I am running the Bushnell w/ 65/3 RD at the moment on my new DPMS LR-308.. but since I spent $130 on just the BUS.. I may got with an EoTech 512 (which are on sale for $379 and have a $30 rebate).. Thousands of PD's can't be wrong..

I will see how this works out and maybe by XMas I will upgrade...

I have sold my Saiga 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.. now I just have the 308.. and the new DPMS.. :smoke:

Al

• 4 weeks later...

i would get the Bushnell trs-25 3 moa

it was reviewed by nutnfancy on his utg sidemount with good results.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293560551&sr=8-1

or the primary arms micro red dot 3 moa. which has good reviews on the ar15 board.

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc;jsessionid=53C8DD7F14157411BCEE0F515726A05E.qscstrfrnt02?productId=402&categoryId=398

• 2 months later...

I voted other before I noticed that you wanted a HALO style optic with a 3-5MOA reticle. I was going to recommend a Bushnell Trophy, but it's a tube and 6MOA.

http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=673097

Same here. Only red dot I have so far is the Ultradot 30 w/4MOA though. http://www.ultradotusa.com/ultradot_dist_2010_004.htm It looks pretty much identical to the Bushnell so I'd assume Bushnell copied it. (Ultradot has been around forever) It was 150.00 and works great but I want a more open sight next time around. Cheaper would be nice too.

• 4 months later...

Check out http://primaryarms.com/ got a red dot off there early this year a M@ clone and so far its been great and held up perfectly off my AR.

I had a Primary Arms Micro red dot on my Benelli M4 for around 1000 shots. Took it off when i had to give the shotgun to my wife because of our lovely divorce. Still have the red dot and it still works great. I plan on mounting it on the Saiga 12 i just purchased as soon as i can. Really decent red dot for under 100$

• 4 months later...

My .02 is for any of the dots from Primary Arms. Marshal has phenominal CS, and backs all his products. I broke a pressure switch cord on a green laser from him and they shipped it out the next day no questions or cost. I have his M3 dot on my AR and his burris clone on my AK. I recently just ordered two more of his burris clones, one for my Saiga 12 and the other for either my AR or my Draco.

• 1 month later...

IMHO, someone would be better off with one (1) quality rifle, set up with a decent scope, they an whole truck full of unworkable trash. If any of this stuff works "fine" for you, great, but that is only because you have never put it to any usage more severe then dropping it six inches onto your padded shooter mat at the local range.

+1 to this.

I considered earlier in this thread getting a Primary Arms Micro Dot for one of my rifles. I've already spent a fair amount of money on Aimpoints after all. I figured that I could designate that Saiga a practice rifle. But then I realized that I don't want any practice rifles - at least not when it comes to my AKs - I want only fighting rifles that I can practice with. So that rifle is still without a dot of any sort, until I can afford another Aimpoint Micro. It may be a while, but at least I know that the irons won't fail me like a cheap red dot might. If a red dot cannot be counted to not die during a bad moment, whether on account of short battery life, inability to take a beating, or wet/dry/cold/hot weather, I don't want it on my rifle.

wolverines.jpg