Has anyone heard of them making a semi-auto civilian knock off of the AA-12?

I would LOVE to have one of these bitches.

Someone/company has been pitching that POS to LE/Mil since 1972.

Atchisson tried for 10 years to get someone to buy his "Assult Shotgun" and finally cut his losses in 1982 by selling the rights to Military Police Systems, Inc.

After 18 years with 188 changes and improvements Military Police Systems, Inc. Still can't make a dime off the design. NO ONE uses the AA-12 in any substantial quantity.

The latest lightened version is 10.5 lbs the 13" sbs version is half a lb lighter.

MPS has claimed that the weapon "requires zero cleaning or lubrication". The designer states that cleaning is required after 10,000 rounds.

Hmmm do I trust the designer or the company trying to sell it?

The AA-12 was found lacking during military testing.

Expensive, heavy and such slow rate of fire compared to existing semi auto shotguns (ie. military used the Benelli M4 in testing) the AA-12 "Offers no advantages over current weapon systems."

Hell it's not my money your wasting.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

12 pounds is unloaded. It's over 16 pounds loaded. Go find yourself a stock that weighs 8 pounds.

You're telling me one thing, my eyes and a little internet research is telling me something different.

http://www.defensereview.com/auto-assault-12-shotgunfrag-12-high-explosive-round-comboweapon-system/

If a right-handed 99 lb woman with tooth pick arms can hold it casually in her left hand, it's not too heavy regardless of how much it weighs. Plus, they're saying they haven't had to clean the AA-12 prototypes (even after thousands of rounds). That sounds pretty damned good to me. If they made a civilian version, I'd buy it.

Bounce, I'm going to come in here and do something I rarely do -- which is outright disagree with you. First, the AA 12 is cycling primarily 2 3/4 low to medium recoil ammo. Secondly, I have had my S12s in the hands of fairly diminutive women, who did an absolutely outstanding job with them and absolutely loved shooting them.

The women who were shooting my S12s were shooting 2 3/4" low recoil ammo, and slinging lead downrange as fast, and accurately as the men. I wouldn't hand my 103 lb. daughter a shotgun loaded with high brass 3" slugs (or even Turkey loads), for the same reason I wouldn't hand her a Desert Eagle .50.

The drums used in the AA 12 are very similar to the MD 20 round drum for the S12, and won't take a 3" shell, and none of those demo videos featured the kind of ammo you like to shoot. So buddy, I don't think there is a valid basis for comparison for high brass 3" slug ammo because the AA 12 isn't made to shoot it.

My .02

WS

• Like 2

Oh yeah, the topic. Sorry. There was an AA12 at the SAR show a couple weekends ago. The thing looks like the profile you would get if you tried to build a M16 out of masonry bricks. its like 8 inches top to bottom, it looks rediculous, and when i picked it up (didnt really handle it, just checked the weight) it definitely was alot heavier than a saiga, and from what ive seen of videos on youtube, the cycle rate runs at a crawl. Its an impractical antique, with a cool factor, but little application. It would be like someone tooling up to make semi auto BARs. It might be cool, look good, but at its weight and size, its not practical, by any stretch of the word. I was pretty dissapointed when i saw the AA12 in the new Stalone/lungren/li/et al movie trailer. Anyone with any sense would have put a S12 and an MD20 in the film instead.

Uh, somebody did tool up and make a semi BAR... http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/semi-auto/SLR-semi.html

They also make a semi M240...

Has the military channel ever featured a system that is in use by the military? The first time I saw the AA-12 I thought it was possibly the gheyest shotgun ever. Rate of fire sucks, bulky, mag changes take like 10 minutes thanks to the guide rail that you have to fit the drum onto. They can keep that crap.

I especially like when they show coaxials mounted to a truck or heli. I think "that's great, now who's going to reload it in 30 seconds? Useless IMHO.

Has the military channel ever featured a system that is in use by the military? The first time I saw the AA-12 I thought it was possibly the gheyest shotgun ever. Rate of fire sucks, bulky, mag changes take like 10 minutes thanks to the guide rail that you have to fit the drum onto. They can keep that crap.

I especially like when they show coaxials mounted to a truck or heli. I think "that's great, now who's going to reload it in 30 seconds? Useless IMHO.

exact same thoughts.. that clip when they are like NOW A REMOTE CONTROL CAN DO WHAT AN ENTIRE SQUAD COULD HAVE BEFORE!

and then your like.. yeah.. except reload.. awesome.. although I still give them some credit for the 20 rounds of shotgun death they can unload before they become garbage.

I thought it was funny that they'd use an AA-12 on a robot over a Saiga-12. Robots don't complain about recoil! Use the lightest gun possible if it's just going to be mounted on a robot.

They mounted a saiga on a robot also. Follow this link to MD-20 goodness.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=44278

Edited by Racer 27
  • 1 month later...

The thing I picked up in the video, was they desingner told the guy if 20 rounds weren't enough, he could get him a 32 round drum. Where are our 32 round drums, dammit? (They weren't using brand "B" drums, so I know thats not the issue) lol. MikeD? 32 rounds?

The thing I picked up in the video, was they desingner told the guy if 20 rounds weren't enough, he could get him a 32 round drum. Where are our 32 round drums, dammit? (They weren't using brand "B" drums, so I know thats not the issue) lol. MikeD? 32 rounds?

That would be a massive drum. It'd be the size of a vintage car air cleaner. Hmm... I wonder... :devil:

Or built like the Thompson drums... if I understand them correctly, an S12 drum (be it MD20 Kickass or Wraithfaker Bullshit) keeps all the shells around the perimeter, while the rimless TSMG has its 50- or 100-round drum stack the ammo in a spiral arrangement.

Bear in mind I've only been hands-on with the TSMG... Mr. Davidson, please educate me if I'm misunderstanding.

Beltfed, combining the best of John Moses and Mikhail Timofeyevich into one badass instrument? Oohrah!

That would be a massive drum. It'd be the size of a vintage car air cleaner. Hmm... I wonder... :devil:

Don't have a 32 but the 30 is way to heavy and just for sh!ts and giggles.

gkcf I see you are in KY is the kc in you name stand for knob creek?

Edited by madmax4x4

Nope, hadn't noticed that before. Interesting coincidence.

Knob Creek is my range of choice though, it's only a 20 or so minute drive from where I live. I wanted to shoot those FA S12's at the last show but, man, I could not justify the price, not when I could have grabbed a 100 round belt on a SAW or something for close to the same.

• 4 months later...

A couple points:

1.) Most manufactures that make FA stuff that are trying to get a military's interest make the bulk of their money on civvy SA stuff in the interim (like the KRISS folks) so it would be a good business move for this TN gentleman to make a semi closed bolt -AA12

2.) However, I see the "sporting" issue being a problem with a 12ga version. Therefore, he would have to make it in .410 to get around that .5" crap. At .410 these would likely not sell so well and he may not recoup his investment.

Edited by 690gr