Finished my conversion

I know I said I wasn't going to convert it but once I started buying the conversion parts I couldn't stop

I did the while thing in five hours with a dewalt cordless drill and a dremel :D

Saiga 5.45 from Atlantic

Kvar plum stock set, Tapco G2 from Midway

Bulgarian gas tube and lower handguard retainer from Apex

I put my 4x16 on it but I'm undecided on it, got a millet on the way

and here's the obligatory pic... sorry no feet

saiga_finished1.jpg

• Like 2

Bucky G, you did good!

I like it and you are making me double think getting a Saiga in 5.45x39 to shoot up my stash of ammo over an M4 Upper in that caliber!

thanks man

I was thinking about what you said before about converting it and decided what the hell... you only live once :D

Very nice, all you need now is the bullet guide and some 5.45 Izzy plum mags...

Man that would look nice...

thanks! I got two russian plums and two circle 25's on the way

the first shipment arrived with the package ripped open and the mags missing

the vendor was cool and shipped me four more, should be here in the morning

yeah bullet guide is next

looks great, btw was checking the apex site, no picture on the bulgarian gas tube.. did it come with the UHG retainer?

yeah they don't show a picture of it

but the gas tube has a retainer front and back, just twist your upper handguard right on it

they sell it for 15 bucks

lower retainer is 15 dollars also

Looks really, really nice! I am about to start a 5.45 conversion myself. I'm pretty sure I can handle the back end stuff, but I'm a little worried about the front. I assume you had to remove the gas block and FSB to put the lower handguard retainer on there? How easy did they come off/go back on? I don't have a press; can you just tap them off once you remove the pins? Again, very nice job.

Looks really, really nice! I am about to start a 5.45 conversion myself. I'm pretty sure I can handle the back end stuff, but I'm a little worried about the front. I assume you had to remove the gas block and FSB to put the lower handguard retainer on there? How easy did they come off/go back on? I don't have a press; can you just tap them off once you remove the pins? Again, very nice job.

thanks

nope I didn't take any of that off the barrel

I just took a bulgarian lower handguard retainer and disected it a bit with a dremel cut off wheel

nothing scientific... it was easy, you'll figure it out during the process

just cut a section out of the top leaving the sides and the holes, make a couple slices between the barrel section and the handguard section of the retainer to enable spreading the barrel section open enough to get it on

that's it... easy

or buy one of dinzag's excellent bolt ons

Edited by Bucky G
  • Like 1

Good job my friend. This is you first it appears. The problem now is, it won't be the last! Welcome to the disease (sickness) fun ain't it?

I see it shoots damn good as well!

Cheers.

032.gif

thanks man!

hehehe yup it was my first, I was a little worried about it but reading through this board made it easy

I read every post about it over and over while I was waiting for the gun and parts

when the stuff came it was like I had done it a hundred times already in my head

just got the drill and dremel and was finished before I knew it

it really is a great shooter

I'm thinking one of the 7.62's or the S12 next

thanks again!

Edited by Bucky G

Sorry, Dinzag is an awesome guy and I have bought and ill continue to buy many parts from him, but not the bolt on retainer. It's $85 to start, and my experiences with it on a .223 and 7.62x39 have been simply hell. On neither gun would the thing stay on. Not with blue loctite. Not with red loctite. Not with the screws so damn tight that the heads completely stripped and it still came off. JB weld finally kept it on. Has anyone actually used it with just loctite, put 500 rds through the gun and it stayed on?

If I did an AK front end I'd just do the work of using a regular retainer.

• 3 weeks later...

modifying a bulgy retainer was crazy simple and it was only 15 bucks, I don't think I spent a whole fifteen minutes on it

sorry to hear about the problem with the bolt on

the only reason I did the bulgy was I didn't have 85 bucks lol

• 1 year later...