The other thing I'd suggest are those little alarms that are used on windows and operated with batteries (sometimes watch batteries). They operate with a little key that you screw into the top of the window, and the body screws into the bottom. They are very very cheap and depending on how close in your neighborhood is, they are pretty effective. Bonus is if you get a break in at night, you can hear them long before they are actually in the house.

One other great place to put a gun collection in a rental property is inside a console piano (shorter than a full upright, usually a little taller than the keys). Usually the top opens up, and you can disguise by putting a lamp and pictures on top of the piano. It can also be carefully locked from the bottom with a bar extending through to the top (similar to a toolbox). Pull out everything except the harp frame and since the wood on them is so sturdy you can usually screw in whatever sort of racks you need. Often you can find ones for free (just need a couple buds to haul it over to your house).

My wife found those little battery operated alarms at the .99 cent store. They are ear splitting! I live in a 3 story home and when the T.V. is on at night we wouldn't be able to hear someone breaking in if they were quiet about it without them.

Edited by waite
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With silent (or simply beeping) alarms you worry about response time. this may be a deterant to some, but not all.   My friend once installed a car alarm in an apartment, wiring door pins to his win

This won't work. He is loud, but fails to get his point across. He is great for car rides & being a social butterfly. He gets along with everyone & every thing.             This is w

YOU NEED A DOG! Yes I am yelling, but it is THAT important! Even a little yappy ankle biter is better than a $1,000 security system! A security camera is second best, at least you can compare the p

Posted Images

your first line of defense is deterrents:

#1: secured burglar bars on your doors and windows. any potential perp is likely to pass up your house and bust in your neighbor's unsecured back door. your landlord might be willing to spring for peace of mind (both your's and his). secure housing is good business...at least my landlord thinks so

#2: an alert, territorial dog is a great deterrent. little yappy toy dog, big dog, any good dog will do the job. if you're in the market to get a dog, don't forget adult dogs at shelters. hang out with the dog for a while. if it's somewhat aloof to strangers (you), it'll probably accept you as it's master and your home as it's home.

#3: visible security cams aimed at your entrances

#4: keep your shrubs/trees trimmed so your don't give the perp any "cover"

that's about it, as far as i know. an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. keep the hoodlums, cholos, and wanna-be's out of your house. if you can't keep them out, have a way to ID them. bare minimum, don't let them get any free guns. if you keep personal records on your computer (like everybody does), you should look into buying or building a networked external harddrive (even wireless) to save your personal info including financial docs, serial #'s of your valuables, family pics/vids/etc. just because they take off with your computer, don't let them take everything.

after deterrents:

#1: an alarm system. depending on your city, response time may be 5-120 minutes. late response is better than no response, i guess.

#2: these days, you can get DVR CCTV-type systems for $300-400 (including a few cameras). many of the computer based DVRs also have internet based viewing so you can check it while you are at work. although not really a derrent, video surveilance is a great investigative tool. you can show the vid to any cop worth his badge, and have prints lifted from areas touched...and pics of the perp's face...assuming that your CCTV DVR is secured and cannot be stolen

#3: don't give these fuck-heads free guns. any firearms should be either locked in a wall-mounted gun safe or on your person.

• Like 2
you should look into buying or building a networked external harddrive (even wireless) to save your personal info including financial docs, serial #'s of your valuables, family pics/vids/etc. just because they take off with your computer, don't let them take everything.

[snip]

#2: these days, you can get DVR CCTV-type systems for $300-400 (including a few cameras). many of the computer based DVRs also have internet based viewing so you can check it while you are at work. although not really a derrent, video surveilance is a great investigative tool. you can show the vid to any cop worth his badge, and have prints lifted from areas touched...and pics of the perp's face...assuming that your CCTV DVR is secured and cannot be stolen

Not wireless--hardwire only, as wireless networks can be easily compromised and transmitted data intercepted. If you build it right, you can combine your CCTV DVR with this, too.

• Like 1

I'm not about to post what all my security measures are, but a few tips might be....

If you don't or can't have a large dog.....

Get a HUGE bowl and put a little dog food in it. Add a name to the bowl like "Killer', "Crunch" or "Tiny". Then use pliers or something to chew the hell out of the bowl, as if a large bull mastiff tried eating it. Even better if the bowl is stainless steel. Then leave the bowl by the porch. :rolleyes:

Good for Jehovah Witnesses too. LOL

The "I love my Rottweilers" garden sign or bumper stick is nice too.

I've seen devices that play back the sound of a barking large dog that can be tied to a doorbell or motion sensor. Might be a nice add on.

Of course, if someone wants in bad enough, given enough time, they'll probably get it (unless you're there and stop them). So find a good safe that can be hidden and bolted to the floor.

Corbin

Most burglaries and home invasions occur when someone has their door kicked in. There is a product that I have been advising others to get for the last year. It is called the Strike Master II and reinforces the door at its weakest point! There are a few videos of some big guys trying to kick a door with these things installed and it is great! I am not connected with these folks in anyway, just a satisfied and convinced customer!

For Windows I recommend Burglar Bars, or living on a 3rd floor like I do. I also recommend a good burglar alarm that will ring the police and then you followed by a call to a armed neighbor. The last might get you a quicker response! All of this designed to protect your home while you are away, or to slow them down so you can wake up.

I then have some "surprises" lined up that will tip a battle in my favor. After all, I do enjoy the home court advantage! These are classified on a need to know basis, I will leave you to your own. Just be sure that you have nothing that would injure a responding officer or unsuspecting family member, or you could find yourself staying at the local Greybar Inn, for a very long time...

And if they do get inside while you are home, come on guys, we all know the answer to that, don't we?

Edited by Azrial
  • Like 2

With silent (or simply beeping) alarms you worry about response time. this may be a deterant to some, but not all.

My friend once installed a car alarm in an apartment, wiring door pins to his windows & doors. When it went off it would at least let the perp know that he wasn't hidden.

This would be hard for you to do as you said you live in a 3 story house.

There are alarms out there (with no monthly service contracts)that have audible alarms that are so loud that they make a car alarm sound like a cell phone ringer. They can also call you & whoever else's cell phone to alert you. Mount the siren outside (3 stories high)so it can really be herd through the area.

(Just make sure the wife & kid know how to turn them off in a hurry (cus their flipping loud!))

You can get a lot of ideas at the home garden shops that cater to the medicinal marijuana growers (legal in your state). They have MANY differing types of systems that only contact you or your friends. It is automatic, so there is no monthly service charge (besides your land-line).

Growers are always seen as big targets & as far as private homes go, are amongst the most vigilant (private)security customers.

Booby traps, as I am sure you are well aware are highly illegal. (& may hurt your family)

Lastly, Watch your son's type of friends. Kids are far too open with their friends, then the friendship breaks up & well... Young kids don't quite have a fully developed sense of morales.

This happened when my best childhood friend befriended a guy he knew all his life, who turned out to be a tweeker.

The guy came over to his step-dads house, broke into his shop & broke into his fort-knox safe, cleaning him out. (NEVER put your safe in your fully equipped heavy metal working shop, or representatives from Fort Knox Safe co. will be assessing your safe to see how the hell it was penetrated too.)

That being said, get some friends to help you haul a big gun safe up to the top floor of your house, it would take a long time for thieves to get it out of there.

If you don't have a huge bulk of valuables, a cheap trick is to get a small cheap safe & bolt it to the floor(as a diversion), put a few not-to-valuable items in it, then get a used canister vacuum & gut it out. Place the cash & whatever in it & place it in the back of a hall closet. I've never herd of a burglar looking to vacuum a home he is robbing.

They will spend so much effort to try to tear the safe up, that usually they will leave to crack it elsewhere.

And remember, if it happened right after your wife left, & your kid was in school, you may have been being staked out.

Edited by Paulyski
  • Like 3

I have a dog, renters insurance, alarm and I put extra large strike plates with 3" deck screws in all the doors. I still need motion lights, security door and a security cameras if the association will permit it. I've priced concertine wire and sand bags too!

Don't forget the approach alarms. They're my favorite security device. They probably won't help against burglaries, but they will give you a huge edge in the event of a home invasion: extra seconds. I have ones for the front and back door, and plan to put a driveway alarm for when cars pull in. (You can get the magnetic type that you bury near the driveway, and are only set off when a large metal object goes by, not when people or dogs pass by).

• Like 1

Booby traps, as I am sure you are well aware are highly illegal. (& may hurt your family)

True, but I'm not aware of anything forbidding devices that give a false impression of such, like GG&G's "Claymore mine" trailer-hitches. I don't know about you, but if I see something that says "Front Toward Enemy" I for one am keepin' my distance...

I personaly dont like motion lights, (1) they go on and of way to much. (2) I dont want them to see me, This makes it easy for them to watch you come and go or juggle two bags and get your keys out. (3) I think if they are prepared to break into my home They are prepared to kill me and my family. If I catch them I will control the light.

But motion sensors used with say a small chime inside or made to turn on a inside light in a spare bedroom seen from outside seems to work better for me(when I'm not home). But one of the best has already been stated GET A DOG! Train your self and the K-9 A great book for this is "The Koehler Method of Guard Dog Training" this book may be a little dated mine says copyright 1962,1967 ISBN 0-87605-552-8 But none of my dogs have been to the dog whisper yet so dont tell them. Remember, criminals are lazy they look for easy prey drive up to your house and ask your self if I was going to rob this place when and how would I do it.

Edited by lg308

I personally have found that I can fortify my residence to the best of my ability & think I nearly have a fortress.

Then I lock my keys in the house.

At these times, another form of creativity comes into play.

When in this state of mind, it has never taken me more than 5-10 minuets to enter, usually without causing any damage.

Do be careful with burgler bars though. You may need an escape route sometime.

Hinge some at the bottom, & fabricate an interior release by the top if you chose this route.

Some important considerations, mostly mentioned but of VITAL importance:

Never use window bars or door locks that will keep you from getting out of a burning house IMMEDIATELY! Securing your property is of far less importance than saving your life, and the lives of your loved ones.

Never leave unsecured weapons in any area unless you are IN that area. It is standard practice among many door smashers to look behind the door for a shotgun! NEVER leave one there! HD weapons should be accessible to YOU only, either through secure locks or clever concealment.DO NOT ARM THIEVES AND INTRUDERS!

Never live within a mile of trailer parks, middle or high schools, or garden apartments.

Do not live on a road that is the access to liquor stores, bars, or low class clubs! And ESPECIALLY not the access road to drug selling areas!

Let the neighbors fix their houses up to look a lot more affluent than YOURS! Never put signs of obvious wealth in the front yard! Just as in selling a house, those casing a house look for 'curb appeal'.

• Like 2

Bars on windows are violation of buiding and firecodes in VA...last I checked. I sell doors and windows for Lowe's. I work in the East End of Richmond,VA. , which is infamous for it's crime rates. I have had a much higher than normal amount of people needing new doors due to having them kicked in. Sometimes it's just the typical drunk husband/baby daddy getting locked out, But a lot have been break-ins and straight up home invasions. One guy was trapped in his bedroom and the criminals were trying to get in there with him and his wife. He was on his way to buy a gun when I met him and I invited him to the range I go to since he has never shot before. I get pissed because my girl very rarely locks the door when she is home alone. I have come home and been able to walk right in while she is in the bath, door completely unlocked!

Last week when she was home in the middle of a pouring rain storm some guy came to the door opened my stormdoor and then started to open my entrydoor, she got to the door before he had it all the way open. My Pitbull went after him and he was backing down the stairs. She wanted to know what the fuck he was doing trying to come in the house. He said he wanted to know if we needed our leaves raked.....I have no trees...it was raining(hard)...and the motherfucker had NO RAKE!!! Not to mention he was carrying a pair of hedge clippers in his back pocket. She called me at work, I left and circle the neighborhood looking for the guy but no luck. Suppossedly according to cops he's just a "harmless old crackhead". He was caught last week doing some shady stuff a few blocks away.

Hopefully she has learned her lesson.

• Like 1

True, but I'm not aware of anything forbidding devices that give a false impression of such, like GG&G's "Claymore mine" trailer-hitches. I don't know about you, but if I see something that says "Front Toward Enemy" I for one am keepin' my distance...

Actually it is the "injury or death part" of some bobby traps that get most folks in trouble. But there are other things that a fellow can do...

This won't work. He is loud, but fails to get his point across.

He is great for car rides & being a social butterfly. He gets along with everyone & every thing.

post-19652-1260566498581_thumb.jpg

This is what you need unless you are going to make your home a barred jail. And you want to be proactive.

post-19652-12605665539728_thumb.jpg

This is Harley.

He is my buddies dog who lives with me.

He is the ultimate protector.

This summer, the front door was open because it was so hot. People were walking by (on the sidewalk) & Harley would just lay around as usual... Until one guy (a shady tweeker type) took 1 step toward our door... Seconds later the tweeker found himself running down the street screaming with one of the most intimidating breed of dogs on the planet quickly gaining on him...

The difference between German Shepards & Pit-Bulls, is that after only one command, Harley stopped immediately & came back. A pit would have usually kept going till attacking.

Shepards are truly the dogs of war.

I need to watch out when shooting, because he is absolutely fearless & wants to sniff the S-12 when I am shooting it.

He greets visitors with a VERY convincing warning.

He is alpha & there is NO arguing.

The only issue I have, is that the mail carrier will not insert the mail completely through the slot. (scared of getting too close)

If a Shepard doesn't know someone, he will fiercely protect his property. 99% of people would NEVER screw with Harley. However, after being introduced to a new person by myself or his owner, he is friendly. (Unless VERY familiar, you NEVER put your face by a German, This is an act of dominance & he may tear it off)

Germans are great with kids. They are great threat assessors. They can stay home with a box of treats within reach & NEVER steal one. they are easily house broken & can go for 12 hours without an accident if need be. They are by far the most all around disciplined dog breed.

I can't recommend a German Shepard enough for home security.

Or for your girl or son when they go out.

The household of "Gangstas" 3 doors down from me NEVER will walk on the same side of the street as Harley. They are terrified of him... & for good reason, He can pick up on good or bad intentions instantaneously.

Truly an amazing breed.

Check your rental regulations & move if they will not allow German Shepards.

You will realize he is the best thing you EVER did for your family's security if you get one.

You will ALWAYS have a fearless companion that is more intimidating than you could ever be at your side, or with your wife & kid... & HE doesn't need to run off & get a gun in an emergency.

They warn... But if a threat strikes, they will eliminate the threat post-haste.

I know of no other breed, so effective in battle & obedient at the same time.

He will NEVER let you down. Don't trust your wife & kid to anything else.

Good Luck & sorry to hear you were burglarized. It has happened to me once. It is a complexly awful feeling.

Now potential intruders realize amputation awaits if they proceed.

Oh, & by the way, if you get one, you may find that the tweeks that come around asking for odd jobs (as a front to stake out your place) will no longer be interested in your business.

I truly cannot recommend a male of this breed enough.

German Shepards are the bigger blonder ones. White German Shepards are huge & a lot of fun to roller-blade behind as they pull you! :super:

German Police are the smaller darker ones with blacker backs.

Norwegian Shepards are all black & quite large. (I don't believe Norwegian Shepards are discriminated against by home owners insurance as much as German)

Harley is a mix of German Police & Shepard.

They are truly "Shepards of men"

Would you break into a house (knowing the occupants & neighbors have been alerted by his warning) if these guys wanted to tear you apart?

GermanShepherd9.jpgDog-GermanShepherd-01.jpgGerman_Shepherd_Dog_white_long-coated.jpgGerman_Shepherd_Dog_black_and_red.jpg449172823_44001a3888.jpgGerman%20Shepherd_911_640.jpg

And they will not hurt your little kids. :up:

Never has there been such a noble, loyal, tenacious & obedient security system devised by man.

Buy as a pup, full bread, so that you can train him right & your son will be his master too, if you want to get the best result.

Good luck & stay safe. (Also if your dog killed a burgler, he wouldn't be investigated as much as you would be)

P.S. If you get that job with the department, you can likely get tips on training from the K-9 units.

I stay on 1.5 acres and breed german shephards. I have 3 that run the yard. My glock21 sf use to be my hd but as soon as the s-12 arrives that'll b the one. Downside to living on some land is if the intruder gets in and gets control nobody will hear u scream....we live in a crazy world and u got to be prepared...

This won't work. He is loud, but fails to get his point across.

He is great for car rides & being a social butterfly. He gets along with everyone & every thing.

post-19652-1260566498581_thumb.jpg

This is what you need unless you are going to make your home a barred jail. And you want to be proactive.

post-19652-12605665539728_thumb.jpg

This is Harley.

He is my buddies dog who lives with me.

He is the ultimate protector.

This summer, the front door was open because it was so hot. People were walking by (on the sidewalk) & Harley would just lay around as usual... Until one guy (a shady tweeker type) took 1 step toward our door... Seconds later the tweeker found himself running down the street screaming with one of the most intimidating breed of dogs on the planet quickly gaining on him...

The difference between German Shepards & Pit-Bulls, is that after only one command, Harley stopped immediately & came back. A pit would have usually kept going till attacking.

Shepards are truly the dogs of war.

I need to watch out when shooting, because he is absolutely fearless & wants to sniff the S-12 when I am shooting it.

He greets visitors with a VERY convincing warning.

He is alpha & there is NO arguing.

The only issue I have, is that the mail carrier will not insert the mail completely through the slot. (scared of getting too close)

If a Shepard doesn't know someone, he will fiercely protect his property. 99% of people would NEVER screw with Harley. However, after being introduced to a new person by myself or his owner, he is friendly. (Unless VERY familiar, you NEVER put your face by a German, This is an act of dominance & he may tear it off)

Germans are great with kids. They are great threat assessors. They can stay home with a box of treats within reach & NEVER steal one. they are easily house broken & can go for 12 hours without an accident if need be. They are by far the most all around disciplined dog breed.

I can't recommend a German Shepard enough for home security.

Or for your girl or son when they go out.

The household of "Gangstas" 3 doors down from me NEVER will walk on the same side of the street as Harley. They are terrified of him... & for good reason, He can pick up on good or bad intentions instantaneously.

Truly an amazing breed.

Check your rental regulations & move if they will not allow German Shepards.

You will realize he is the best thing you EVER did for your family's security if you get one.

You will ALWAYS have a fearless companion that is more intimidating than you could ever be at your side, or with your wife & kid... & HE doesn't need to run off & get a gun in an emergency.

They warn... But if a threat strikes, they will eliminate the threat post-haste.

I know of no other breed, so effective in battle & obedient at the same time.

He will NEVER let you down. Don't trust your wife & kid to anything else.

Good Luck & sorry to hear you were burglarized. It has happened to me once. It is a complexly awful feeling.

Now potential intruders realize amputation awaits if they proceed.

Oh, & by the way, if you get one, you may find that the tweeks that come around asking for odd jobs (as a front to stake out your place) will no longer be interested in your business.

I truly cannot recommend a male of this breed enough.

German Shepards are the bigger blonder ones. White German Shepards are huge & a lot of fun to roller-blade behind as they pull you! :super:

German Police are the smaller darker ones with blacker backs.

Norwegian Shepards are all black & quite large. (I don't believe Norwegian Shepards are discriminated against by home owners insurance as much as German)

Harley is a mix of German Police & Shepard.

They are truly "Shepards of men"

Would you break into a house (knowing the occupants & neighbors have been alerted by his warning) if these guys wanted to tear you apart?

GermanShepherd9.jpgDog-GermanShepherd-01.jpgGerman_Shepherd_Dog_white_long-coated.jpgGerman_Shepherd_Dog_black_and_red.jpg449172823_44001a3888.jpgGerman%20Shepherd_911_640.jpg

And they will not hurt your little kids. :up:

Never has there been such a noble, loyal, tenacious & obedient security system devised by man.

Buy as a pup, full bread, so that you can train him right & your son will be his master too, if you want to get the best result.

Good luck & stay safe. (Also if your dog killed a burgler, he wouldn't be investigated as much as you would be)

P.S. If you get that job with the department, you can likely get tips on training from the K-9 units.

I stay on 1.5 acres and breed german shephards. I have 3 that run the yard. My glock21 sf use to be my hd but as soon as the s-12 arrives that'll b the one. Downside to living on some land is if the intruder gets in and gets control nobody will hear u scream....we live in a crazy world and u got to be prepared...

• Like 2

Not to put down German Shepherds 'cause they're great, but here's some other BIG, CAPABLE working dogs. Any of these breeds will produce Schutzhund-capable dogs with real stopping power.

Rottweiler

Rottweiler-picture.jpg

Belgian Malinois

malinois-exclusive-leather-dog-harness_LRG.jpg

Giant Schnauzer

63_1.jpg

Argentine Dogo

DogoArgentinokilochest8mos.jpg

Fila Brasileiro

PUMABEST.jpg

Irish Wolfhound

irish_wolfhound.jpg

Kuvasz

kuvasz.jpg

Dobermann Pinscher

1190779415doberman_pinscher.jpg

Ovcharka

holycrapdog2.jpg

^^^ I agree completely with looking at other breeds besides German Shepherds. Big recommendation for the Bullmastiff as it was specifically bred for stealthy guard duty.

From AKC:

The Bullmastiff’s known history in England begins around 1860, when they were developed to keep large estates and game preserves free of poachers. Gameskeepers needed a dog that could track quietly, cover short distances quickly and pin and hold poachers without mauling them. The foundation breeding was 60% Mastiff and 40% Bulldog; breeders were hoping to create a dog faster and more aggressive than the Mastiff, yet bigger than and not as ferocious as the Bulldog.

Edited by GerryV

Despite the popular assumption, Pitbulls don't necessarily make the greatest guard dogs. They tend to be an "either/or" type dog. Which means they will either tear a person apart piece by piece or help the burglars carry the television out to their truck while making them a cup of coffee at the same time. Regardless of the breed of dog, you have to know how your dog reacts to different people and different situations. That is not to say you can't capitalize on a particular breed's reputation to enhance home security but just be aware that if you are a novice your next burglar may be more familiar with how your dog will react to him than you are, and it may be as simple as providing him with a treat.

Despite the popular assumption, Pitbulls don't necessarily make the greatest guard dogs. They tend to be an "either/or" type dog. Which means they will either tear a person apart piece by piece or help the burglars carry the television out to their truck while making them a cup of coffee at the same time. Regardless of the breed of dog, you have to know how your dog reacts to different people and different situations. That is not to say you can't capitalize on a particular breed's reputation to enhance home security but just be aware that if you are a novice your next burglar may be more familiar with how your dog will react to him than you are, and it may be as simple as providing him with a treat.

I could not agree more having owned two, people watch tv and listen to the media and think they are all that. sort of like using one of them "assault weapons" to hunt dangerous game in africa.

My vote = Belgian Malinos with the right traing

coming in secound is the Chow behind the locked gate saying "my purple tounge cant wait to taste that leg you have"

...My vote = Belgian Malinos with the right training ....

And there in lies the rub with dogs. Most are not trained, they are just big, look mean, and bark. If that is all your expect, great!

But if they have not been trained so that will not eat food given to them by a stranger, they have a fatal flaw and can be easily bypassed.

Metal Roof

Functional Board and Batten Shutters

Industrial Steel Doors

5 Million CP motion sensor floods at every corner with battery/inverter backup

Japanese Holly Bushes surrounding the house inner yard

Ornamental Concrete Vehicle Blockade(Dragons Teeth)

Positive Air Pressure HEPA filtration system through using a DC powered fan with battery/Inverter backup

I also have a pretty hot electric fence setup that I leave unconnected but I could clamp my leads if things got stupid.

I have an in ground sprinkler system that I thought about hooking up to a diverter valve so it would feed off of a 500 gallon fuel tank using a trash pump but that would be slightly illegal and my wife won't let me put the ag tank close enough to the house for it to work :(

I still liked the idea of being able to douse anyone who comes to the house with bad intentions with gasoline and then tell them to "piss off or I'll flick my bic" but you have to draw the line somewhere,LOL

Edited by SOPMOD
  • Like 2

Metal Roof

Functional Board and Batten Shutters

Industrial Steel Doors

5 Million CP motion sensor floods at every corner with battery/inverter backup

Japanese Holly Bushes surrounding the house inner yard

Ornamental Concrete Vehicle Blockade(Dragons Teeth)

Positive Air Pressure HEPA filtration system through using a DC powered fan with battery/Inverter backup

I also have a pretty hot electric fence setup that I leave unconnected but I could clamp my leads if things got stupid.

I have an in ground sprinkler system that I thought about hooking up to a diverter valve so it would feed off of a 500 gallon fuel tank using a trash pump but that would be slightly illegal and my wife won't let me put the ag tank close enough to the house for it to work :(

I still liked the idea of being able to douse anyone who comes to the house with bad intentions with gasoline and then tell them to "piss off or I'll flick my bic" but you have to draw the line somewhere,LOL

:lolol:

Gonna have to second on the german shepherds.. Owned a lot of them, aunt also bred them. When I was little my parents had one and apart from being a great and patient playmate for me, our house was the only one to not be broken into. My current dog is a shepherd mutt (only 56 lbs) but one hell of a guard dog. As much as I love shepherds their hip problems are both expensive and tragic, so I went for a cross..

Also not all shepherds are perfect, some are overly aggresive.. and some are completly pathetic. Had one who was from a generation of police dogs.. great breeding, her dad was one of the most impressive police dogs I've ever seen. But she was the biggest wimp I've come across.. Really brave until you got into the house.. then a basket case.. and huddled around the toilet anytime a firework went off. Still- no one messed with the house with her around, she looked the part.