So I was at a gun show. a guy tried to sell me a tiny pump 12 gauge remmington.

I asked if I needed an SBS stamp for it & he said no, it was an AOW because it has never had a sholder stock. He said I needed no permits to own it... Kinda hard to believe for a 15" or less 12 gauge.

Was he telling the truth?

Second, My long time friend with back (disk) problems was caught with oxycodone. He had a perscription for them, but not for the dose that he had.

He failed to get a real lawyer, Looks like a huge Mexican (full american indian) was assigned a public pretender & convicted of a felony.

Can he be in the car with me while I'm carrying?

Can I take him out to the woods to go shooting?

I figure if a cop rolls up while he has one of my pieces in his hand, we're screwed, but what if we hear them approach & he is only holding the camera?

(We wouldn't take pics of him shooting of course.)

I asked if I needed an SBS stamp for it & he said no, it was an AOW because it has never had a sholder stock. He said I needed no permits to own it... Kinda hard to believe for a 15" or less 12 gauge.

Regardless of butt stock / pistol grip only, if a shotgun doesn't have an 18" barrel, it'll need to be papered.

If it started life as a PGO shotty and has a barrel less than 18", it can be papered as an AOW - but can never have a butt stock installed.

Any >18" bbl'd shotgun can be papered as an SBS, and have a pistol grip or butt stock.

Second, My long time friend with back (disk) problems was caught with oxycodone. He had a perscription for them, but not for the dose that he had.

He failed to get a real lawyer, Looks like a huge Mexican (full american indian) was assigned a public pretender & convicted of a felony.

I figure if a cop rolls up while he has one of my pieces in his hand, we're screwed, but what if we hear them approach & he is only holding the camera?

Will your friend have possession of it? That's the law. Felons cannot possess firearms.
  • Like 6

Thanks.

I figured the gun show guy was full of it.

Edit: You all need to + the hell out of Nailoth's posts.

He has likely kept many of us out of a butload of trouble with his extensive knowledge of firearms laws.

Edited by Paulyski

some people call a SOT a permit so him saying you don't need one is somewhat correct.

It does need to be a registered AOW with the feds or its not allowed, and it must be transferred to you going through a class 3 dealer I believe. But you don't likely need a permit to own it, just have it transferred legally.

Best to not have your buddy out shooting, it will just get him in trouble. He can drive himself out and watch from a distance, and you can carry your CCW around him.. After all whats the point in carrying a pistol if you can't have it around a felon?

Edited by csspecs
  • Like 1

Paul,

Your friend is a felon and is legally barred from possessing a firearm - his, yours, or one belonging to anyone else. There is no law (that I am aware of) barring him from enjoying firearms as a spectator, but he can't play with your guns.

And with regard to the SBS.... If someone offers an SBS and says you don't need paperwork it's just BS:)

WS

Ok, I'll try to clear this up. When somebody asks if Class 3 weapons require a "permit", people say no. There is paperwork involved, but no "permit". There is a tax paid and a transfer that involves the feds. It's a common thing I've noticed, that people ask if a "permit" is needed and people say no.

Ok, I'll try to clear this up. When somebody asks if Class 3 weapons require a "permit", people say no. There is paperwork involved, but no "permit". There is a tax paid and a transfer that involves the feds. It's a common thing I've noticed, that people ask if a "permit" is needed and people say no.

I'll go further and say that there is no such thing as a Class 3 weapon. There are Class 3 dealers and Title ii firearms.

I'll go further and say that there is no such thing as a Class 3 weapon. There are Class 3 dealers and Title ii firearms.

Yeah, I do say that a lot. The mistake I mean, I say "class 3 weapons" a lot.

Or NFA weapon is a term used a lot. And I also answer people No when asked if you need a permit to own. But I explain what tax needs to be paid 5.00 or 200.00 and that it needs to be register with the ATF and in Louisiana the state as well. But if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if I have a permit or if my guns are registered I would have a lot more guns :rolleyes: The only registered guns for me are NFA guns and the only permit I have is one for conceal carry

Or NFA weapon is a term used a lot. And I also answer people No when asked if you need a permit to own. But I explain what tax needs to be paid 5.00 or 200.00 and that it needs to be register with the ATF and in Louisiana the state as well. But if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me if I have a permit or if my guns are registered I would have a lot more guns :rolleyes: The only registered guns for me are NFA guns and the only permit I have is one for conceal carry

In Ohio we get a LICENSE to carry, but people still call them permits all the time.... I walked around a show recently with a double barrel SBS and had at least half a dozen people tell me it was illegal. I just told them thanks and kept walking.

... Will your friend have possession of it? That's the law. Felons cannot possess firearms.

Unless following adjudication and service of their sentence they have had all their civil rights restored or a Presidential Pardon.

The BATF also has the authority to restore the right to possess firearms, but this is never done as there is no funding for it.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to necro-post, but the second question seems to have gotten some dubious answers. I am fair sure that felon in possession laws operate at the state level, not federal. Paulyski's friend should consult an actual lawyer in his state of residence to determine what options, if any, are available for restoring his gun rights.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think there is a slight distinction between a SBS and an AOW...I live in a state where a SBS is illegal and a AOW is legal. From what I have read a AOW can be weapon that uses shotgun shells and resembles a shotgun but was designed and manufactured without a shoulder stock and/or with a short barrel with a a pistol grip and requires a $5 stamp. I think a remington LM fits the bill.