Needing Clarification on Recoil Buffers / Buttstocks

I am trying to figure out all the options available for recoil reduction in my soon-to-arrive Saiga .308. My plan is to do the following:

- Install a muzzle brake (I should say have a gunsmith install a muzzle brake);

- Install one of those little soft poly recoil buffer pads on the recoil spring;

- Change the sporter stock to an ar-type stock with a recoil buffer tube in it (I know I also need to move the trigger and do the pistol grip etc also). Now this is where it gets a little confusing. I see these products:

http://www.sportsman...07&kwtid=307145

http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SBT-K47FK&Category_Code=_stks

Are these the same product, and are they in fact selling a product that contains both the recoil tube AND the collapsible buttstock? Are they made in the US? What brand of buffer do they contain? I know I can call them, and I will on Monday, if no one here has an answer.

I read a post from member SomethingEZ who seemed to like the Mako product for reducing recoil on his S308. Has anyone else tried one of these with their .308?

Then I see this product from Enidine, made for the AR10, and wonder if it would work even better on the S308. Any ideas?

http://www.nokick.com/Carbine_Buffer_for_AR_10_with_AR_15_length_stock_p/earr-10s.htm

Many thanks and hope you're having a good weekend.

Kalashnikov recoil buffers exist to separate fools from their money.

Read more:

"Recoil buffer" @ Saiga-12.com - Google

A quality muzzle brake will do more for recoil reduction, or you could look up the mercury tube ideas that have been spoken of here . .

Edited by nalioth
  • Like 2

Thanks for your reply, nalioth. It sounds like the poly recoil buffer pad is not needed or desired.

I have not been able to find any info on the recoil reducing capacity of the mercury tube, and while I am sure that the member here who does the installation of these does excellent work of a quality product, I just do not want to deal with mercury when other options are available.

Recoil buffers do little to absorb recoil. They are for eliminating battering of the bolt and rear trunnion. If your Saiga is peening the rear of the bolt you need a buffer. If your Saiga (or AK) has a bolt that comes out of the rails at the rear of bolt travel you need a buffer (the S-308 comes with a steel 'buffer' for this reason) if none of these apply to your Saiga(or AK) then you don't need the buffer. The BlackJack buffers are thinner than the other brands and I have had no issues using in S-12, S-410, S-308, or MOST AK's.

While alot of people think recoil buffers are a waste of money, I have them on all my AK's & FAL's. I use the thicker Buffertech, & have never had a problem. However, on the Saiga .308 it already comes with a metal buffer at the end of the recoil assy, just where you'd put the rubber one. You can't use both. In my case, I used a milled AK tube type recoil assy with the 308 recoil spring so I could use the rubber buffer. I don't know if all 308 Saiga's come with this metal recoil assy, but my gun made in 06 did. Some people say the rubber buffers caused problems on their guns, & I believe them, but I've never had a problem. In my case I'm happy that it keeps the back of the bolt carrier from slamming into the rear trunion. Some say a carrier shouldn't hit the trunion if the the recoil spring is new. Well my Saiga has all new parts, & the carrier was hitting the trunion. Now it hits a rubber pad. GARY N4KVE

In my case I'm happy that it keeps the back of the bolt carrier from slamming into the rear trunion. Some say a carrier shouldn't hit the trunion if the the recoil spring is new. Well my Saiga has all new parts, & the carrier was hitting the trunion. Now it hits a rubber pad. GARY N4KVE

The AK is designed so the recoil spring dissipates all inertia before the bolt carrier can reach the rear block.

Just because a spring is new doesn't necessarily mean it's in spec.

While alot of people think recoil buffers are a waste of money, I have them on all my AK's & FAL's. I use the thicker Buffertech, & have never had a problem. However, on the Saiga .308 it already comes with a metal buffer at the end of the recoil assy, just where you'd put the rubber one. You can't use both. In my case, I used a milled AK tube type recoil assy with the 308 recoil spring so I could use the rubber buffer. I don't know if all 308 Saiga's come with this metal recoil assy, but my gun made in 06 did. Some people say the rubber buffers caused problems on their guns, & I believe them, but I've never had a problem. In my case I'm happy that it keeps the back of the bolt carrier from slamming into the rear trunion. Some say a carrier shouldn't hit the trunion if the the recoil spring is new. Well my Saiga has all new parts, & the carrier was hitting the trunion. Now it hits a rubber pad. GARY N4KVE

That metal device on the reoil spring assembly is not a buffer it's a limiter. It is also called that in the manual. It's purpose is not to buffer anything, but to limit the amount of travel that the bolt carrier will go to the rear. Without it, the bolt carrier can take the bolt back far enough to literally pop up and out of it's guide rails. There is a very small slot on the rails that allows the bolt to come up and out for dissasembly. Putting in any buffer in this area would not be wise.

Cheaper than Dirt has a recoil reducing complete assembled butt stock that is pretty nice.

Here is a direct link to what it looks like and costs.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS161-6.html