well, i live in pc Florida and want to take my converted 7.62 and s12 home for the holidays back to Alabama to go shooting with the fam. does anyone know specific traveling laws from florida to alabama. i won't have any hand guns but i do have a bunch of ammo i wan't to take. do you see any future problems? any good resources?

I know that if you transport hand guns the ammo should be separated from the gun. I do not think the same is true with long gun. Put it all in the trunk and you should be good. All bets are off in some states but not Florida to Alabama.

that's sounds about right from conversations I've had in the past with locals. i actually drive a mini van i don't think that will be a prob though.

JRP,

You will not have a problem in Georgia either. As of July 01, 2008, anyone whom is legal to possess a firearm can transport (loaded or unloaded) anywhere in the vehicle. I hope that helps some with the state in the middle..

JRP,

You will not have a problem in Georgia either. As of July 01, 2008, anyone whom is legal to possess a firearm can transport (loaded or unloaded) anywhere in the vehicle. I hope that helps some with the state in the middle..

thanks man that gives me some confidants. I'm not worried about florida it's alabama's laws i'm more concerned with.

The 1986 McClure-Volkmer Act allows you to carry an unloaded firearm in your vehicle's glove box or trunk in all 50 states.

So to paraphrase the wise words of Bill Murry, You have that going for you, which is good.

The 1986 McClure-Volkmer Act allows you to carry an unloaded firearm in your vehicle's glove box or trunk in all 50 states.

So to paraphrase the wise words of Bill Murry, You have that going for you, which is good.

should i limit the number of mags i take. i have twelve in my rifle bag plus both guns. i just don't want to look like a terrorist but i do want to take most of my gear. any thoughts? any one.

From what I've heard, if your vehicle does not have a trunk, you need to transport your firearms in a case that has a lock on it when crossing state lines.

Edit: From http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess it to any other place where he may lawfully possess such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, like gasoline and rest, seem permissible.
Edited by VIVIsectVI

should i limit the number of mags i take. i have twelve in my rifle bag plus both guns. i just don't want to look like a terrorist but i do want to take most of my gear. any thoughts? any one.

As you will. The law really does not have any position on this. Have a great Christmas!