accuracy problem

I have a S308 with 16inch barrel, DPH beryl style mount, with a Nikon Prostaff 40mm scope mounted up. Shooting at 80yds I am having trouble getting any decent group. I have tried surp FMJ ammo and 150 win. power points both with same results. The only thing I can think of possibly helping or being the problem is the tension screw on beryl mount. Any suggestions???? the gun is new with clean barrel approx 80rds through her.

Mine does fine with 150 gr at 100 yards open sights I usually shoot a 2" to a 3" group using a rest. Seems to do the 3" to 4" with surplus ammo. If your scope is set up good, is your trigger stiff enough to account for some of the bad groups? My trigger is super smooth and it makes at least 1" diff. to me. How bad are the groups?

Well, I'm thinking that a standard AK with open sights would be expected to reliably shoot a 5" group at 100 yards, some say that number could be as low as 2" to 3" but with a 16" barrel maybe a 3" to 4" group is not as far off as it seems.I'm not sure if the scope will do too much to help. It helps me to have a partner at the range to observe how I shoot and help me go through the checklist of making a good shot. If you are not so familiar with this weapon you may be doing something that you don't realize.

Well, I'm thinking that a standard AK with open sights would be expected to reliably shoot a 5" group at 100 yards, some say that number could be as low as 2" to 3" but with a 16" barrel maybe a 3" to 4" group is not as far off as it seems.I'm not sure if the scope will do too much to help. It helps me to have a partner at the range to observe how I shoot and help me go through the checklist of making a good shot. If you are not so familiar with this weapon you may be doing something that you don't realize.

+1^^^

You know if you still have the owner's manual it has your rifle's 4 shot group at 100 meters on the "acceptance certificate" page (mine is page 19). It's handwritten in and mine is 97mm which is 3.8 inches. I thought it'd do better than that, especially during factory testing, but who knows what kind of junk ammo they were using.

Just as the others have said, your shot groups are pretty consistent with a standard 16" saiga .308. 3-4" is what I usually get out of my Saiga with 150gr Austrailian surplus rounds(@100yards). Although I did get slightly better groups with 168 PPU match grades. My suggestion would be to try out several brands of ammo until you find one that suits you, for me 3-4" is good enough. Recently I've purchased some Brownbear 145gr rounds so I'll see what kind of groups I get with them soon as I make it up to the range. Try converting I'm sure the stiff and creepy stock trigger reduces ones ability to get a more consistent group.

I went hunting with mine this year and felt totally comfortable with ranges to 150 yds with the open sight. Didn't shoot anything...but boy was I ready! I hunt in the thick mountains of Montana and feel it is a fine choice of weapon for deer and elk in that terrain. I must say that my super smooth trigger made a difference in not anticipating the shot, for me and really helped keep my standing offhand groups to about 5" at 100 yards with no scope. I feel that it equals a kill shot with the type of shots I take at game. Granted it is not the same as a sure heart shot and drop with my .270 bolt rifle or my .308 bolt rifle, but dead is dead, time to eat that Sum'bitch!