Ratchet Charging System for the Kalashnikov rifle?

This looks nice, and a bit like an mp5. I may have to try one out after the holiday mail rush. Any one used this on a saiga?

>>REMOVED LINK<<

post-20983-12609445215438_thumb.jpg

post-20983-12609445377746_thumb.jpg

post-20983-12609445503407_thumb.jpg

Edited by MCASSgt New River
Non-Business Member Link
Nobody's actually seen one yet, that I know of.

It's another fool|money separator, and for now - vaporware

Don't call it a fool|money separator unless you try it. There are a lot of items I thought were useless untell I used them. If I buy one I'll post a review, that I am sure of.

That sounds better. How much and whats the eta?

I did one in Iraq with nothing more than a hacksaw some tubing and a hammer.

I'm going to try to have a working prototype by this weekend. I need to make a trip to the hardware store with an S12 gas tube and bolt carrier.

If you can make them for about the same price I'd be willing to take a chance and buy one. Will your's need a new GP? Got any pics?

You'll have to send us your bolt carrier assembly and possibly your gas tube.

You'll also need to be able to install the new modified gas tube on your S12.

Let me work out a final design but I don't expect it to be any more than the "ratchet".

My gun is a saiga 223, but that shouldn't matter to much. Sending the parts away is a bit harder then just buying the other kit. It also looks like it's not to hard to make sure your thumb is out of the way. I don't hold my rifle with my thumb over the area anyway. It sounds like a good idea, keep working on it and best of luck to you.

My gun is a saiga 223, but that shouldn't matter to much. Sending the parts away is a bit harder then just buying the other kit. It also looks like it's not to hard to make sure your thumb is out of the way. I don't hold my rifle with my thumb over the area anyway. It sounds like a good idea, keep working on it and best of luck to you.

Reading is fundamental.

KrisFox is talking about a non-reciprocating charging handle arrangement.

What KrisFox is discussing is nothing at all like the crapshoot in the OP.

"OP" is usually the abbreviation that stands for "Original Poster" or the person starting the thread. That wold be you Datastick. In this case it looks to mean "original post"... referring to the content in your first message.

Edited by r40734

"OP" is usually the abbreviation that stands for "Original Poster" or the person starting the thread. That wold be you Datastick. In this case it looks to mean "original post"... referring to the content in your first message.

Not entirely (you make it sound like there's something up his hind end nyahnyah.gif

OP means "Original post".

"Crapshoot" is that ponderous junior-high-school-metal-shop thing that was brought to our attention in the original post.

Edited by nalioth

I think the point is to look kind of cool. Thats about it though, maybe if I have lots of extra cash but not as long as I have some thing that works well as it is.

I'd talk to Cobra about it, he does excellent work and offers a fair price.

AK's look stupido without an upper handguard. Plus, what the hell is the point of that thing anyway?

To make money for the manufacturer...

By the name, "Dublin" I thought it was made for I.R.A.land ;) or the UK at first.

A system like this might be cool if it were marketed in northern Ireland or England where semi-autos are banned (except for .22s) & they need to chamber each & every single round by hand & they have no gas ports.

But for an actual semi auto AK type... No thanks.

Edited by Paulyski
  • 2 weeks later...

AK's look stupido without an upper handguard. Plus, what the hell is the point of that thing anyway?

I think the point of it is to do what every other left side charging handle does: Let you work the action of your rifle without taking your hand off of the pistol grip. With this setup though, I'd rather reach under or over the rifle like everyone else does. There's something about this that just doesn't seem right. Maybe there'll be a gen 2 or 3 that will work out pretty well, but this seems kind of basic, and somewhat dangerous.

i did something similar to this design that involved cutting a slot in the gas tube. i'll tell you what it is good for. it is good for spraying gas in your face with every shot. i recently ordered me a replacement gas tube and said the hell with this. if it aint broke then dont try and fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the idea of a left-side charge, but not that far forward. It's more a of a reach for me to reach forward than to go under the rifle. That said, Mr. Dublin is an 18-year-old engineering student, give him time to perfect his work.

I would never run that thing. Seems like an accident waiting to happen, aside from the fact that I don't really see the need for a left hand charging handle. There's absolutely no reason that you can't reach over the top of the receiver and rack the slide, if you practice you can do it just as fast as you could with that contraption, and you wouldn't have a reciprocating chop saw next to your front hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Our company is currently developing a non-reciprocating version which will be the second generation. this was included in the patent. on this one, the handle is turned up far enough to stay out of the way of your hands unless of course you hold your AK by the top hand guard. also, i have not had complaints of gas being sprayed in the face of the operator and i have also tested this numerous times.

Very Respectfully,

Ethan Dublin

• 1 month later...