so ive been getting alot of hate...will explain

So ok a few back i had a thread here about conersion blah blah. Anyway everyone seems super nice and ready to help, so i wanted to run this by everyone and see whats up.

Ive been millin around lots of diff forums asking opinions just really getting to know ak forums more, im new to them.

Anyways I decided to go without the conversion that moves your group forward, i basically just dont have the resources and tools to do this, nor the work space. Anyways my saiga is pretty much converted out now and i love it! its compliant and rada rada but plan on doing the mag feed ramp conversion later and add a us piston and trigger group i found that will fit without modding and moving, but will count as 2 us part instead of 3. Anyways i see no problems with this, but i have encountered mush HATE! And when i say i mean man im supprised at the things ive been called and things peopel have said to me. I mean i never immagined poeople would take the conversion so srsly and outcast somone for not doing it the "RIGHT WAY" as they have told me. I know its just the internet and its full of people who just log on to act tougher than somone else behind a computer screen....but my thing is...

Does doint the full conversion make any diff as far as performance/quality that is really goint to make that big of a diff. And is my saiga really not a "worthy" saiga as ive been told, i mena ive been told im a disgrace to saigas lol that im not worthy blahblah trolls. I mean sheesh some of us just dont have the resources to do conversions the same way everyone else does them.

To me we are all on the same side you know, we love guns we love our rights we shouldnt be putting each other down just because u dont like the way i did my conversion compared to what somone else thinks is "the right way".

ok i really shouldnt worry about it that bad, rant over lol.

Back on topic, does it really make a diff? am i disgracing the saiga world just because i didnt convert my trigger the way most think i should?

oh and hey ill post pics soon as i allready said i would lol need to stop procrastinating, it really does look good ( to me) but anyway I love my saiga! i would never give it up and i think it looks fine(no doubt im sure the trigger conversion looks sweet, just not as easy for some of us)

Edited by chevyman097

Conversion or restoration makes NO difference in performance !!!

It is a vast improvement in other areas, as you have read...But you know that's why they make more than one flavor of ice cream, cause NOT everyone wants vanilla.

Enjoy your Saiga and being here on the fourms and remember opinons are like assholes, everyone has at least one and some on here have many.

• Like 3

oh will do im at work, sorry for the terrible grammer, tabbing in and out at work haha. ive been meaning to post pics for a few days.

I can totally understand it not being considered a "conversion" But its still a saiga by all means. I dont understand why such hate from some of these forums, im like man we are all in this together people! People have gone as far to say i completely disgraced the saiga ak and i shouldnt be allowed to call mine a saiga ak blah blah. I alot of people are far off track its bad when you start to down on ur fellow gun lovers because you dont like the way they did somthing.

oh will do im at work, sorry for the terrible grammer, tabbing in and out at work haha. ive been meaning to post pics for a few days.

I can totally understand it not being considered a "conversion" But its still a saiga by all means. I dont understand why such hate from some of these forums, im like man we are all in this together people! People have gone as far to say i completely disgraced the saiga ak and i shouldnt be allowed to call mine a saiga ak blah blah. I alot of people are far off track its bad when you start to down on ur fellow gun lovers because you dont like the way they did somthing.

Well, when you do get around to putting it like Mr. Kalashnikov wanted, you'll be beside yourself with joy at the wonderful difference it makes . . .

The "haters" just don't understand why anyone would want a trigger pull from 4 counties away . . .

HAHA! man sory im a newbie u know. But ya the trigger pull, i guess i dont know the diff becuase i have been able to shoot one with the conversion, only other aks ive played with was a romanian and a yugo. I LOVE the saiga way better and the trigger group ive found claims to be a large imporvement over the factory set.

Dude, it is your rifle do what you want with it, just make sure you meet 922r compliance. Tell the whiners to fuck off! They're not the ones who are going to be shooting it, are they? Your gun is an AK, no matter what you have on it.

Yeah, remove the damn poll, please.. Did you really need it to answer your question?

Remember, everyone has an opinion .. and an asshole :)

• Like 1

To get a Saiga and NOT convert it, amounts to surrendering to Clinton's gun restrictions!

Fuck HIM, and fuck his restrictions!

Convert it! He's gone and his restrictions are history. There's no need to surrender to his bullshit ideas.

• Like 1

What i really wish is i had of signed up on these forums BEFORE i purchased one, i sure like that SGL21. i want to get one but its not in the budget right now, maybe after tax season :dollar: ! Ive learned so much i didnt know just in a few weeks on these forums just from reading then i have since i got my saiga! you guys are great.

Chevy - your carbine, make it satisfy you. As to the conversion (moving the FCG forward) - definitely do it, as you have the time and money - really not a big deal. My experience with the conversion was all good. Better balance, way better trigger, and satisfaction with MY carbine (wish I could type carbine in Russian - oh well). As Nalioth says, Mr. Kalasnikov did it right, time to put yours back the way it was meant to be - to your benefit.

sailor

• Like 1

Chevyman, I'm not a hater, but I think if you did take the time to convert your rifle (which is extremely easy, it only takes about 30 mins for a basic conversion), you'd end up with a rifle that you liked a lot more, because you'd understand it much better and when you look at it, you'll see a rifle made to your own specifications. I've converted two Saiga rifles so far and on my first, I was hesitant as hell ("you want me to do WHAT to my nearly $400 gun!?" I said :-P) but when I finally did it, I was like "wow, that was EASY!" and I understand the function of the AK a little better, merely by dropping in a standard fire control group and rear-end furniture. Drilling and tapping to accept standard AK mags is easy as well.

• Like 1

30 min? from everything ive been seeing unless i completely missed somthing was it required drilling, grinding and painting : /

Edit: trying to keep from spam posting

ty very informative on that note, well...I live in a small town south of texarkana texas, around 2-3 hours eastish of dallas and north of houston(mentioned erlier) about 4-5ish hours. This depnds on traffic as allways but you know.

The more we talk the more i get interested in wanting the conversion, i mean i allways wanted it but, wanting it more!

Edited by chevyman097

30 min? from everything ive been seeing unless i completely missed somthing was it required drilling, grinding and painting : /

Edit: trying to keep from spam posting

ty very informative on that note, well...I live in a small town south of texarkana texas, around 2-3 hours eastish of dallas and north of houston(mentioned erlier) about 4-5ish hours. This depnds on traffic as allways but you know.

The more we talk the more i get interested in wanting the conversion, i mean i allways wanted it but, wanting it more!

Yes, you drill the expanded shoulders of the rear axle trigger parts. This does no damage to the receiver. Then you use a Dremel tool to grind the 3 rivets on the bottom of the sporter plate, then punch out the rivets. This removes the plate. Once the plate is removed, you use a chisel or a drill to remove the trigger guard from the plate and re-use it. Cut a little off the trigger guard at the "hump" (you'll see it). Then, to use standard AK mags, you must drill and tap the trunnion for a feed ramp AKA bullet guide, which is a lot simpler than it sounds.

If you need any more convincing, take a look at my converted Saigas and tell me it isn't tempting...

2qnsbhv.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, you drill the expanded shoulders of the rear axle trigger parts. This does no damage to the receiver.

No, you don't.

You roll up the shoulders like you were taught in shop class and they'll drop out by themselves. . .

(with no damage to the receiver - which you cannot say about the "drill'em out method", if you're not paying attention)

man those do look sexy, im going to have to just man up and try it...ill have to hit the old man up for tools and a place to work lol

here is mine not quit as sexy look but thye i love it!

I hope photobucket links are ok sorry they are so huge! im not that great at pictures either hope they are clear enough.

100_0129.jpg

100_01312.jpg

Yes, you drill the expanded shoulders of the rear axle trigger parts. This does no damage to the receiver.

No, you don't.

You roll up the shoulders like you were taught in shop class and they'll drop out by themselves. . .

(with no damage to the receiver - which you cannot say about the "drill'em out method", if you're not paying attention)

It worked for me, besides, I use the plugs that Dinzag sells, which require you to drill the holes to 3/12" anyway. The drill 'em out method is fine.

While you'll never see me shitting on someone for not converting their Saiga............I always have, and always will, recommend people do it.

As for if their is a difference: Yes. If/when you move the FCG forward to it's home, you'll notice quite a difference in the trigger pull.

But if your current configuration works for you, then :up: .

....i basically just dont have the resources and tools to do this, nor the work space.

There's a 99.99% chance that you're cutting yourself short here, with this statement above.

Resources needed: Whatever parts you want to include in your conversion. This can range from a a basic conversion (stock, PG, FCG, bullet guide) to an AK-103 clone. Really, your wallet is the only limiting factor. But looking at what you have already put on your Saiga, you could have easily done a basic conversion. So you meet the "resources" requirement.

Tools needed: This can also vary. I'll tell you what I used......A corded hand drill (with some bits, bought specifically for the conversion) that's old enough to be one of my parents, a file, a screwdriver, a small hex key (acting as a punch), a phonebook (to prop up the receiver when I drilled for the bullet guide) and that's it. While there's other tools that will make a conversion easier, they are not necessary in the least. Get creative.

Work Space: I literally did my conversions on my bedroom floor (except drilling the bullet guide was done on a counter top). 'Nuff said.

EDIT: .........and oh yeah......I'm far from a "handy" guy. If some schmuck like me can do it, anyone can.

Edited by -Shooter-
  • Like 1

wow im so glad to see all this advice without the insults, all the stuff i saw suggestied table top drill taps and stuff. This sounds really REALLY easy. I think im gonna cut my losses and buy a new stock and pistol grip and try it!

what kind of paint do people usually use, or do you to cover what you remove from the trigger plate? from the pictures ive seen when u remove that plate its allmost bare metal looking.

Edit: oh hey but i have one question, if i do this conversion. I really like the tapco t6 stock, will the regular ak tapco stock fit it when converted? or does anyone have a good suggestion on a stock(that will allow single point sling, really like them)

Edited by chevyman097

wow im so glad to see all this advice without the insults, all the stuff i saw suggestied table top drill taps and stuff. This sounds really REALLY easy. I think im gonna cut my losses and buy a new stock and pistol grip and try it! Like I said, conversions can vary. You very well may have seen suggestions for conversion parts/tools that made you think you can't do it. But, as they say, "There's more than 1 way to skin a cat".

what kind of paint do people usually use, or do you to cover what you remove from the trigger plate? from the pictures ive seen when u remove that plate its allmost bare metal looking. Duplicolor seems to be pretty popular. I think that's what I used on my S12. I don't really remember, but whatever it was, it came out pretty good and has help up fine. On my x39, I didn't even paint the bottom at all :ph34r: . Also, yes, the area under the plate is indeed not finished. It will most likely have a little bit of surface rust. No worries though, it comes right off with some light scrubbing.

Check out this video:

Sure, he's got a vice, which makes it a little easier. But again, it's not a necessity. Conversions have, and can be done with minimal tools. My converted 7.62x39 and S12 are proof,

• Like 1

This thread is getting a little too warm and fuzzy.

Your gun looks like a monkey fuckin' a football. Fix it. Now. :zorro:

HAHAHA ya i can totally see the odd ball sticking out between the two pictures now. I'm deff gonna have to get something together and see what i can do. I'm sure will be back with questions before im done but ill update when i figure somthing out.

Gonna have to see what its gonna cost me to get the parts together to do it.

Edited by chevyman097

So im getting a price list together on dinzags, does the fcg retainer plate help enough to spend the extra 10 bucks on it? or is it pretty much jsut as easy to assemble it without it?

I have always used my original retaining wire.

• Like 1

wow im so glad to see all this advice without the insults...

Again, ignore the trolls and flag their posts. You can also block people from showing up, in your preferences.

So im getting a price list together on dinzags, does the fcg retainer plate help enough to spend the extra 10 bucks on it? or is it pretty much jsut as easy to assemble it without it?

I used the plate in one gun, the original retainer with the spring coil in another, and a Sheperd's crook in two other conversions. I like the Sheperd's crook the best, just easy to work with, I've found the legs are a bit too long, so I just trim them a bit with a pair of wire cutters or dikes; I'll usually push it in and then cut it about a centimeter, then try again. CSS has crooks for 3 bucks, I buy most of my stuff there.

• Like 1