so ive been getting alot of hate...will explain

So im lookin into paint as well. i really cant afford the conversion for a couple weeks, anyway im trolling the forums and lookin threw some other threads, i also looked into the one somone posted erlier about the painting. But im thinking would just some flat black spraypaint i can pickup at the hardware store work? and maybe some over coat. I mean after all im just painting a small part on the bottom of the gun.

So im lookin into paint as well. i really cant afford the conversion for a couple weeks, anyway im trolling the forums and lookin threw some other threads, i also looked into the one somone posted erlier about the painting. But im thinking would just some flat black spraypaint i can pickup at the hardware store work? and maybe some over coat. I mean after all im just painting a small part on the bottom of the gun.

You can use BBQ paint on it, some people use rustOleum, I'm either going to Duracoat or parkerize mine.

• Like 1

I also think you will be happier after the conversion. I almost didnt convert mine, but i am very glad I did. The trigger is much better afterwards. I think the only differnce you would receive by using the trigger for the non conversion (other than compliance parts) would be a smoother pull. You could do this with your factory trigger by simply polishing it. I read up in the forums (as you have done) and used the video from vimeo. I did the work in my living room while watching tv. No vice. Just a dremel and hand tools. I like your gun set up also.

• Like 1

I hate to keep spamming this thread...but i just watched that video on vimeo and man i tell u what, i have never been more ready for a pay day. I think i got a semi..lol anyways hey ill let u guys know how it goes ina couple week. and i will make sure i get pics!

Glad you decided to convert it. I did mine in my apartment with a cordless drill and a dremel. I think I used a screwdriver too for a punch. No vice or even a hammer, just my hand tools and on my lazy boy with my computer on this forum and the video posted by shooter. Good luck and make sure you ask questions, it will seem so easy when it is done.

Then you just have to buy a few more in different calibers and convert those, then maybe a few more ....well you will see. :D

• Like 1

wow im so glad to see all this advice without the insults, all the stuff i saw suggestied table top drill taps and stuff. This sounds really REALLY easy. I think im gonna cut my losses and buy a new stock and pistol grip and try it! Like I said, conversions can vary. You very well may have seen suggestions for conversion parts/tools that made you think you can't do it. But, as they say, "There's more than 1 way to skin a cat".

what kind of paint do people usually use, or do you to cover what you remove from the trigger plate? from the pictures ive seen when u remove that plate its allmost bare metal looking. Duplicolor seems to be pretty popular. I think that's what I used on my S12. I don't really remember, but whatever it was, it came out pretty good and has help up fine. On my x39, I didn't even paint the bottom at all :ph34r: . Also, yes, the area under the plate is indeed not finished. It will most likely have a little bit of surface rust. No worries though, it comes right off with some light scrubbing.

Check out this video:

Sure, he's got a vice, which makes it a little easier. But again, it's not a necessity. Conversions have, and can be done with minimal tools. My converted 7.62x39 and S12 are proof,

Yeah, the Vimeo video is fantastic. I used it and then the YouTube one for the BHO portion, and that's all I needed (besides this forum of course). Saiga Conversion. As for the time you should set aside for your first conversion, I think 30 mins is a little optimistic, especially if you don't have a dremel. I would set aside more like 3 hours, with painting the underside of the receiver etc. I think I spent about that time on my first (and only thusfar) conversion and I DID have a dremel (did the BHO too).

As for what people 'think' about what you do your own rifle, just remember you're out of high school. Fuck em' if they can't take a joke.

• Like 1

So im getting a price list together on dinzags, does the fcg retainer plate help enough to spend the extra 10 bucks on it? or is it pretty much jsut as easy to assemble it without it?

I have always used my original retaining wire.

With all due respect to Mr. Duke, I would DEFINITELY use a retaining plate for your first conversion. You don't want to get hung up on that shit for an hour and deal with the frustration to save $10 bucks. Retaining plate just drops in and your done.

• Like 2

I hate to keep spamming this thread...but i just watched that video on vimeo and man i tell u what, i have never been more ready for a pay day. I think i got a semi..lol anyways hey ill let u guys know how it goes ina couple week. and i will make sure i get pics!

I'm not completely up to par with the exact definition of all these new-fangled internet terms but . . . Can one spam his or her own thread?

So im getting a price list together on dinzags, does the fcg retainer plate help enough to spend the extra 10 bucks on it? or is it pretty much jsut as easy to assemble it without it?

I have always used my original retaining wire.

With all due respect to Mr. Duke, I would DEFINITELY use a retaining plate for your first conversion. You don't want to get hung up on that shit for an hour and deal with the frustration to save $10 bucks. Retaining plate just drops in and your done.

That's cool man. I wouldn't know, I've never used a retaining plate. It only takes about 20-30 seconds to modify the wire (by which I mean snip off a few coils and add a slight bend at an approximate location) and I have never personally had a problem installing it. But I've worked on a few things here and there (I'm a licensed A&P mechanic/technician/whatever you want to call it) so I'm not too bad with my hands. At any rate, yes the retaining plate probably is quicker and easier. But still, if anyone wants the details for the factory wire and doesn't feel like looking them up (I think they're around here somewhere) I'd be more than happy to help.

• Like 1
Conversion or restoration makes NO difference in performance !!

I suppose if you don't consider trigger pull and balance as affecting performance. If by performance you mean the gun going bang or mechanical accuracy then sure. The fact is conversion makes the gun much usable, conversion is all about performance IMHO

• Like 1