Form 1 or 4 Transfer Times.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would try out the new forms and send in an SBR form 1 without the LEO sign off. Felt kind of good to just drop off the form instead of begging for permission. I'm going to slap a 10.5" bar

1. NFA Item: 1 M92 SBR 2. Form Type: Form 1 3. Transferee Type: Indivigable 4. Form 1 Sent: 01/19/12 5. Expected DD: 01/21/12 6. Check Cashed: ? 7. Pending Date: 02/14/12 8. Approved Date:

Individual Paper Form 4 SBS Check Cashed 10/7/2014 Stamp Received 3/30/2015   S17 is coming home.

Posted Images

Called yesterday. Pending as of 10/27. Was really thinking papers would be back before the end of this month, but now I'm moving my bets to mid December. Nfa tracker is showing a sort of leveling off on the form 1's for individuals.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Doesn't seem like people are using this much any more.

But here's my second and probably last nfa, given the new infringements about to take effect.

1. NFA Item: SBR (AR lower)

2. Form Type: Form 1

3. Transferee Type: Trust

4. Form 1 Sent: 5/3/16

5. Delivered: 11:19AM 5/5/16

6. Check Cashed: 5/9

7. Pending Date: ?

8. Approved Date: ?

9. Form 4 Received: ?

10. Picked up from Dealer: ?

11. Examiner Name: ?

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Doesn't seem like people are using this much any more.

But here's my second and probably last nfa, given the new infringements about to take effect.

4. Form 4 Sent: 5/3/16

6. Check Cashed: ?

Just curious why you did not E-Form the Form 1 if you filed with a trust as opposed to going the paper route?

Word to the wise... E-filing via the ATF's e-forms site has heretofore been the way to go with a trust, but IMO paper forms are your friend from here on out. The reason for this, is if there is an error on your paper form, ATF can return it to you for correction. You make the correction, and send the same form back for approval (at least, this is my understanding of how it works).

Not so with an e-filed form; there is no way to correct it once it has been submitted (though there is a way to upload additional documents if you forgot one). You just get an email notification that your form has been rejected, and you have to submit a NEW form. Given the current average approval time of just over 3 months, if you e-file a form today and it is rejected, you will have to re-submit it under the new rules, which require fingerprints, photographs, and CLEO notification (though not approval). I don't think anybody yet knows if they are going to accept uploaded scans of your photos and fingerprints on the e-forms site, or if everybody will have to go back to paper anyway.

So given the above, IMO it is better to submit your forms on paper and suck up the extra month or so wait, so you don't have to screw with the new requirements if you made an error on your form.

• Like 1

I e-filed for an SBR on 4/9, before I realized the risk I was taking.  Hopefully all is good, otherwise it's going to be close.  Today I mailed off paper forms for another one.  I have one more to do, just as soon as I can get to the range just to verify that the MFer runs first.  I have no doubt that it will, but better safe than sorry.

I got some bullshit error when I tried to efile.  The site locked up every time I tried to submit.  So I went back to what works.  Paper.

But I did get a nice thank you for registering email.  Fucktards.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

I ended up using Safari as the browser and everything went smoothly after that. Up to that point, both Explorer and Chrome would not function with the website. Still in the course of a couple of hours it appeared that 130 new e forms were submitted on 4-28. I found that suprising.

• 2 weeks later...

Took 2 weeks to get the LEO sign off, they said they had never seen the form before.  An older woman in the front office asked me what the purpose of a silencer was and I told her "it makes the gun quieter when you shoot it".  As of July 13th there is no longer an LEO sign off requirement but I didn't want to wait 2 more months and I'm too cheap to pay for a Trust.

1. NFA Item: Thunderbeast Ultra 7 Suppressor (silencer)
2. Form Type: Form 4
3. Transferee Type: Individual
4. Form 4 Sent: 5/24/16
5. Delivered:?
6. Check Cashed:6/14/16

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Thought I would try out the new forms and send in an SBR form 1 without the LEO sign off. Felt kind of good to just drop off the form instead of begging for permission. I'm going to slap a 10.5" barrel on one of my existing guns that I normally shoot my suppressor on to make it about 16" with the suppressor. Looks like I'm becoming a stamp collector!

Doug

1. NFA Item: AR-15 SBR

4. Form 1 Sent: 7/22/16

5. Delivered:7/25/16

6. Check Cashed:7/28/16

• Like 3

Thank you all.  Sosss, the new Form 1 and 4s do not require our good guy White Hat County Sheriff or DA to sign off on these anymore?  At least the nice front desk volunteer lady at our County Sheriffs Office does know what cans are for.  She has some.  We are lucky living here in SW OR USA.  We are not lucky have practically zero law enforcement in our nearly otherwise perfect small mountain valley town.

Emergency 911 law enforcement usually not available.  None.  Sometimes available 60 minutes away via State Police but only if multiple victims or shooting felonies in progress.  But, surprisingly we do have good, (but thin) local ALS EMS and fire services.

Switching subjects here, If done today, now long via snail mail version to get a Form 1 or 4 stamp from the August Friendly BATFE?  The whole process.  I heard the system is very overloaded.  Not sure if this is true or not.  We are thinking some more SBRs and Cans. 

All Oregon State Laws, (for now) US Code Laws, (for now) and All NFA Rules, (for now) Apply.

Nobody knows how long at this point...  I read a few weeks ago they were telling people 8+ months, if they were lucky.  I also saw after that, where Silencer Shop posted a picture of stacks and stacks of flat rate boxes they sent to the ATF the last day or so before the deadline, full of forms they were filing on behalf of their customers.  Supposedly over 2 million bucks worth of taxes.  Wouldn't want to be in line behind that.

When I picked up my .22 Sparrow a few weeks ago, the local dealer said he'd heard ATF was concentrating on processing Forms 3 (dealer to dealer transfer) so people could get their apps submitted prior to the deadline.  If true, that was awfully decent of them, though it was at the expense of those of us who had our shit together and already had our forms in.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just checked the trend graph at nfatracker.com, and the "curve" for an e-filed Form 1 has definitely crested, and wait times are coming back down. Not so much for paper forms.... Taking a wild-ass guess, since the e-forms site is not compatible with the new fingerprint/photograph requirements, ATF may make clearing the existing e-filed forms a priority, so they can then concentrate on the mountains of paper forms they are facing.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stamp was in the post yesterday.

2. Form Type: Form 1 Paper
4. Form 1 Sent: 5/3/16
6. Check Cashed: 5/9
9. Form 1 Received: 11-22-16

Just over 6 1/2 months.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Stamp finally arrived! 8 fricking months! Still waiting on my SBR, probably a few more months out.

1. NFA Item: Thunderbeast Ultra 7 Suppressor (silencer)
4. Form 4 Sent: 5/24/16
5. Delivered:?
6. Check Cashed:6/14/16
8. Approved Date: 1/26/17
9. Form 4 Received: 2/21/17
10. Picked up from Dealer: 2/22/17
11. Examiner Name: Robin L Chesek

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Called the NFA Branch today, my Form 1 SBR was approved April 27, 273 days from when they cashed the check! Whoo Hoo! Now just standing by the mail box each day waiting for the paperwork!

Doug

1. NFA Item: AR-15 SBR

4. Form 1 Sent: 7/22/16

5. Delivered:7/25/16

6. Check Cashed:7/28/16

8. Approved Date: 4/27/17

9. Form 1 Received: 5/4/17

10. Picked up from Dealer: N/A

11. Examiner Name: Carrie Fishel

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to see some post 41F stuff coming back.

1. NFA Item: Silencerco Hybrid .46 Cal
4. Form 1 Sent: 10/14/16
5. Delivered:10/17/16
6. Check Cashed:10/20/16
9. Form 1 Received: ?

Will update as info becomes known.