newbie with NO CLUE. HELP!

Hi all- I purchased my Saiga 7.62 last june, and used it mostly as a plinking/varmit rifle. The gun was broken in properly, and i was very impressed with the groups that it is now shooting. I purchased a East German 30 rd magazine, and a canvas sling. I had been told by the salesperson who sold me the the Saiga that the magazine would work with out modification. However, as all of you know, this is untrue. I was hoping someone had a write up on how to convert magazines for proper use. Also, i would really like to have a stock that includes a pistol grip, much like a tru AK. Is there a kit out there that makes this easy? I like the synthetic look...if that is possible. Thanks so much for all of your time an expertise!

Pat

Welcome

I purchased 30 rnd. and 20 rnd. metal mags. and only had to file a little of the bottom of the catch tab on the back. You MUST add a bullet guide to the trunion under the barrel or the nose of the bullet will hit the edge of the barrel when using non saiga mags. Saiga makes their mags higher in front and the bullet rides on the front of the mag and is fed at the right angle. The conversion website shows how to put a bullet guide in.

post-1216-1111564158_thumb.jpg

I'm sort of a newbie also, but I'm halfway done with my conversion (waiting on parts) and it is not difficult at all. I highly recommend just doing the conversion if you want 30 rd mags, pistol grip, ect. Believe me, it's a lot less work and hassle than trying to modify mags and attach a pistol grip behind the trigger on a stock Saiga. Plus, you will be sure you're compliant with the law. (Seach the forums for 922r, and you'll know what I'm talking about if you don't already). If you can grind down rivets with a dremel and use and ordinary hand drill, you can do it! I've never worked on a gun in my life, and this is a breeze! AK's are very simple in design.

I agree that whoever told you that E. German mags will work without mods is wrong. Like I said, modify the rifle once to accept mags instead of fooling around with every mag you buy from now on. Check out K-var and Tapco for stocks and grips if you plan on converting. I don't think there's a lot out there for "non-conversion" thumbhole or PG stocks, but I may be wrong.

By the way, what is the proper way to break in a new rifle? I'm seriously asking, as I am fairly new to owning firearms.

-Charger

Don't worry, i was unfamilier with this practice as well, untill a gunsmith told me about it when i purchased my .270 hunting rifle. I have a print out somewhere that he gave me. Basically, for the first 10 or so shots fired from the gun, the barrel should be cleaned each time. Making sure to remove all excess oil after said cleaning. i was amazed at how many metal shavings and fragments came out during this process. Im told this ensures an accurate gun!

thanks for all the feedback, everyone has been very helpful. Ive never worked on a gun before, and am a little leery about doing a full out conversion. if i reuse the buttstock is it possible to only need to purchase the pistol grip and slide for use of AK mags?

tnanks again!

Pat

Thanks for the break in info, is that a cleaning after each shot, or each 10 shots?

I'm not sure what you mean about the "slide", are you talking about the bullet guide? Bullet guides are easily made out of a steel pipe nipple, just follow the directions on the link that IndyArms gave you. You can purchase a bullet guide from K-var, but I've heard it is more work to make that one fit than to make one out of pipe. Making one out of pipe takes about an hour with a hacksaw and a file, and cost is spare change.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=1601

check out the link above for an example of attaching a PG to a stock saiga. Keep in mind that you need to swap I think 4 other parts on the rifle with US made ones to stay legal. FWIW, in my opinon you just about have to change out the stock to use a PG, both functionally and looks wise. Plus, that would give you a US made part toward your part count.

As far as converting, I'll quote Bob Ross on Joy of Painting "it's your own little world, you can make it whatever you want". (I left out the stuff about happy little trees though!) I just highly recommend converting because it's so easy and saves more headaches than it causes, especially with the tutorial and these guys here to help.

You can use regular AK mags by just installing a bullet guide(slide) and filing the mag catch a little. Not sure of the legality of this without additional US made parts.

All this being said, I'm just throwing out my opinions based on my tastes and experience. I'm by no means an authority or expert. All said and done, I'll have spent less than $80 on my conversion. If you like, I can tell you what parts I used and where I got them.

-charger

Edited by charger SE

FSE trigger group from RPB-USA: $35 shipped

Hardwood stock, PG screw & nut set from AKparts.com: $31 shipped

Tapco PG: approx. $15 shipped

toal=approx. $81 (sorry not less than, but close)

screws, bullet guide, retaining rings and Krylon BBQ paint (matches perfectly IMHO) I counted as going without Mountain Dew for a few days.(spare change)

this also assumes you go with the unfinished wood stock, I plan to paint or stain mine. I did this to save money.

forgot to mention this does not include price of magazine-mine are east german from Cheaper than Dirt, approx. $10 each (that was a while back)

Edited by charger SE

http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/2000_ref.pdf

Check out 922r on page 21 0f this monster. As long as your finished firearm has LESS than 10 imported parts you are fine If you are going to be putting a pistol grip on your rifle. You are "making" not "manufacturing" a sporting firearm from the 7.62x39 saiga. This is important, the terms make and manufacture. If you are new to this hobby you had better get some potato chips and dip and a few mountain dews and read this monster of a publication. What you are going to be doing is drilling out the rivits and hacking a hole for the pistol grip? When the grip is on the rifle you have changed the origional configureation that was agreed to by the BATFE and the manufacturer of you rifle. 10 parts is the rule including the receiver trigger group gas tube (gas tube upper and hand guard can be counted as 1 part on an AK but I'm not sure on the Saiga.) and the rear butt stock, 2 trunions and the barrel plus barrel attachment. Be carefull please. The feds can't take a joke :unsure:

Here's a picture of my latest project, You can do this! It took me 1 hour. You can use your existing trigger guard as you can see in the photo but you have to weld it to the mag release.

I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trying to hyjack a thread but I'm consearned for my fellow home smiths. Post picts of your build too I want to check it out and if you post others might want to try this project too!

Ed

post-1885-1111614540_thumb.jpg

keep in mind puch1313, it's quite likely your PG and trigger holes are already stamped in your reciever, just covered with the new trigger adapter plate. Mine were, but it is possible that they're not. A quick check with a flaslight will tell, you should have a small square hole, and a larger rectangle hole with a radius in one corner, under the trigger plate.

I hope we're not scaring you off with all this reference to parts and laws. It really is simple, I was a little confused at first by just looking at the conversion website, but once I had the rifle in front of me, it was like "oh yeah, I get it, that's a peice of cake". The consensus is, if you use a PG(US made) and big AK mag(foriegn), you need to change 4 other parts to be legal. These typically are the trigger group (3 parts) and buttstock (1 part). Or, gas piston, mag follower & floorplate if you don't want to change the trigger. I think if you use a US made magazine, that counts for 1 or more parts, someone more knowlegeable than I might be able to tell for sure.

Once again, my disclaimer, this is all from what I've read here and on the Sheik's site.