I got factory threaded barrel on my Saiga 7.62

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine has everything that yours has but did not have the threaded barrel. It seems to be a crap shoot. I don't believe a certain criteria exists.

On mine (other recent "threaded barrel" post) I drilled out the dimples (no pins) on both sides of the FSB but also slit the bottom of the FSB. Clamped the old sight into the vise between two blocks o

well that shatters my dreams! i have a march of '09 build with the LHG notches, PG hole, dimples, but i'm not sure about the stepped casings since i have yet to run brass thru it.

Posted Images

Were the notches cut into the side of the barrel for the lower handgaurd retainer? Does your barrel put the step into the neck of the casings? My brother picked up an '09 that has the notches cut into the barrel and it also does not step the cases... leaving me to believe he may have a barrel that is also threaded...

(He plans on removing his FSB sometime in the near future, but hasn't yet)

Edited by VIVIsectVI

Were the notches cut into the side of the barrel for the lower handgaurd retainer? Does your barrel put the step into the neck of the casings? My brother picked up an '09 that has the notches cut into the barrel and it also does not step the cases... leaving me to believe he may have a barrel that is also threaded...

I didn't noticed any step in the casing but I did not look closely into any of them, I will check on this next week.

I am not sure where these notches that you are talking about should I remove the handgaurd to be able to see them?

I didn't noticed any step in the casing but I did not look closely into any of them, I will check on this next week.

I am not sure where these notches that you are talking about should I remove the handgaurd to be able to see them?

Yup

Close up

post-1914-12611122250484_thumb.jpg

Far shot

post-1914-12611122605784_thumb.jpg

On mine (other recent "threaded barrel" post) I drilled out the dimples (no pins) on both sides of the FSB but also slit the bottom of the FSB. Clamped the old sight into the vise between two blocks of wood and began twisting the rifle CW & CCW. With each twist the FSB loosened up more and eventually I could pull the barrel right out of the FSB. Imagine my surprise when I saw threads!

FYI: You do have to be very careful when you use the cutting wheel to slit the bottom of the FSB so you don't notch the barrel because it is almost impossible to tell where the FSB metal stops and the barrel metal begins. I don't think minor nicking of the barrel is any problem but you don't want to cut deeply into it. The new FSB will cover any marks made on the barrel but if you have cut into the threads under the sleeve part of the FSB, you could be in trouble. I have not removed a pinned FSB but it does seem like these dimpled FSBs may be a little more difficult to remove.

BTW, I need to give major thanks to all who have contributed their knowledge and experience with Saiga mods. I have now completed two Saiga conversions - a 410 and a 7.62 - and could not have done it w/o the help from contributors to this forum. If you thoroughly research and read up, you will be good-to-go when you start the conversion. I have the tools and mechanical ability but no gun-smithing experience. Once you start on a conversion and see the neat results, you are hooked and want to do more!!

Edited by oliverb
  • Like 1

how thick is the sleeve, and how hard is it to pull off after you cut it. Im thinking of doing it and if there is thread then there is threads if not ill leave it as be or pin on a break. I live in NY so no threads for me unless i weld on a brake which i would do if there are threads

I have a 08 model with cuts in it for the lower handguard retainer and it had a PG hole already cut into it, it also has dimples, so i wonder

Edited by n102788

how thick is the sleeve, and how hard is it to pull off after you cut it. Im thinking of doing it and if there is thread then there is threads if not ill leave it as be or pin on a break. I live in NY so no threads for me unless i weld on a brake which i would do if there are threads

I have a 08 model with cuts in it for the lower handguard retainer and it had a PG hole already cut into it, it also has dimples, so i wonder

the sleeve is not thick at all. you should be able to gauge thickness by looking at the end of the barrel at the sleeve itself.

It appears that the two features which indicate you have a factory-threaded, military version barrel as opposed to the standard civilian Saiga barrel are the addition of the notches for the lower handguard retainer and the lack of stepping in the cases. For those hoping to find threads hiding under the front sleeve of the FSB because of your manufacture date, I would assume that the lack of those two features assures you have the standard non-threaded barrel.

I have a 08 notches in the barrel for the LHG retainer,PG hole factory cut, dimples, but i do have the step neck. i just removed the sleeve to see if i have a threaded barrel and i DO NOT, sob F%*# S$%#. mother%$#$^$^. No biggy. anyway i live in NY so no threading for me.

Edited by n102788

I have a 08 notches in the barrel for the LHG retainer,PG hole factory cut, dimples, but i do have the step neck. i just removed the sleeve to see if i have a threaded barrel and i DO NOT, sob F%*# S$%#. mother%$#$^$^. No biggy. anyway i live in NY so no threading for me.

well that shatters my dreams!

i have a march of '09 build with the LHG notches, PG hole, dimples, but i'm not sure about the stepped casings since i have yet to run brass thru it.

• Like 1

OK - interesting thread. If your Saiga has the following: recent manufacture (2009), Dimples, PG hole, No case neck ring, and Barrel lower HG notches - that seems to indicate a military barrel, as opposed to the modified civilian barrel. The military barrels are factory theaded, so that would seem to be worth the effort to cut off the "sleeve". Two questions. One - are the exposed threads after cutting off the sleeve adequate to accept a brake or flash suppressor (without removing the whole FSB)? Two - does having the barrel lower HG notches allow for different lower HG models to be attached without expensive clamps?

MulletMan... 'but i do have the step neck' per n102788.

If you have all the 'right' stuff you may have a threaded bbl. (No Step Chamber, BBL Handguard notches, dimples, and PG hole cut.)

You may have read n102788 posts incorrectly. He did not have ALL the above. He had the STEP necked casings.

I have ALL of these on mine 12/16/08 dated spec sheet.

I go into NJ sometimes so taking off my muzzle end to CHECK isn't going to happen anytime soon though I wonder.....

Sailor good question. How much THREAD do you need for a regular brake and what is the thread SIZE/PITCH and is it LH/RH on there.???

YWHIC - The threaded photo shows 3/5 of the sleeve removed, the full sleeve was 1 actual inch. Thread count is 15 for 3/5, so one inch = 24 threads (from photo count). First thread at muzzle appears to run Left Hand = LH 1 in 24. Not measured, just looks that way in the photo. Search function is not helping! Is a threaded on brake important to be US made, for the 922r count? The compliance sticky is not clear on that. I see that the CSS bolt-on brake is really a suppressor, not a brake. Are bolt on brakes also available? Also, a brake needs to be aligned to be effective - threads alone hold it in place, or is a pin needed also?