I got factory threaded barrel on my Saiga 7.62

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine has everything that yours has but did not have the threaded barrel. It seems to be a crap shoot. I don't believe a certain criteria exists.

On mine (other recent "threaded barrel" post) I drilled out the dimples (no pins) on both sides of the FSB but also slit the bottom of the FSB. Clamped the old sight into the vise between two blocks o

well that shatters my dreams! i have a march of '09 build with the LHG notches, PG hole, dimples, but i'm not sure about the stepped casings since i have yet to run brass thru it.

Posted Images

• 10 months later...

Hey guys this is my first post. Not sure if this is still up since last post was 2 years ago. My barrel was threaded with all the characteristics you spoke of. I ordered a 14x1-24x1.5 adapter so I could but my k74 style break on from KVAR. The adapter will not fit though. It starts to go on but gets tight very quickly. I think I will still have to thread it but cut a little deeper. Is this what you all would recommend? Thanks for any help.

Hey guys this is my first post. Not sure if this is still up since last post was 2 years ago. My barrel was threaded with all the characteristics you spoke of. I ordered a 14x1-24x1.5 adapter so I could but my k74 style break on from KVAR. The adapter will not fit though. It starts to go on but gets tight very quickly. I think I will still have to thread it but cut a little deeper. Is this what you all would recommend? Thanks for any help.

Wanted to add that I already cut shroud back to base of FSB. I think regardless I would like to thread back to the base so there is no gap.

Wanted to add that I already cut shroud back to base of FSB. I think regardless I would like to thread back to the base so there is no gap.

hi beretta, welcome to the boards. check to see if any of the barrel threads got damaged during the FSB removal. it could just be a case of close tolerances not allowing it to align properly. you could try some oil also. that may help. maybe run a screwdriver around the threads inside the adapter to make sure they are all straight too.

hi beretta, welcome to the boards. check to see if any of the barrel threads got damaged during the FSB removal. it could just be a case of close tolerances not allowing it to align properly. you could try some oil also. that may help. maybe run a screwdriver around the threads inside the adapter to make sure they are all straight too.

Thanks for reply GregM1. I will check again to see if threads look good. Like I said I had cut back to base so it came off clean. Threads looked great on both barrel and adapter at first site but I'll clean up if possible. I plan on threading to base so hopefully that will help going back over the area already threaded. If its the adapter I have no way of knowing. It came from a great company and looks very well made. Thanks for input. I used this forum for my Saiga conversion and it went really well until this hiccup. Take care.

What date was your rifle? Mine is 3/11, i have all the features. Was just wondering.

What date was your rifle? Mine is 3/11, i have all the features. Was just wondering.

Could you tell me where on the gun it has the date? It looks just like those on this thread. All the features were there. I still have to thread it more though so it won't help much other than I won't need a TAT know to guide the die down on the barrel. My adapter only goes half way down before locking up.

Could you tell me where on the gun it has the date? It looks just like those on this thread. All the features were there. I still have to thread it more though so it won't help much other than I won't need a TAT know to guide the die down on the barrel. My adapter only goes half way down before locking up.

i got the date from the russian service manual. Like a dumb-ass i threw it away!

• 3 months later...

Saigas are on sale at JG sales 7.62x39 are $299, 2 or more $289 incase you guys didn't know. The 5.45, .223 and 410 are all $299 also. Anyway, I got 4 of the 7.62x39 last week, 2 were threaded and 2 were not. I checked the manuals in all 4 boxes and they all had build dates of July 2011 but the recievers were all marked '09 so don't go by the manual like warlord260 said. I found that the only way to tell them apart was the "feed ramp" looking groove in the end of the barrel that another poster mentioned was bigger in the threaded barrel rifles. Also if you look at the end of the barrel inside the reciever the outer diamater of the barrel is slightly tapered at the end on the threaded rifles and just ends in a straight 90deg in the non threaded ones. I hope this helps. I ordered 3 more 7.62 and 1 of the 5.45 today so I'll check them when they get here. I tried to explain it to the sales guy at JG so he would send the threaded ones but he wasn't getting what I was saying. Hopefully I'll get a few more threaded ones.

• Like 1

My rifle has the PG bolt hole and the beveled inside barrel face.

The barrel end looks to me like it may be threaded, I can see quite a bit of space between barrel and sleeve at the end.

The serial number begins with H09... so that is year 2009. How do you find the month?

The barrel does have the two side HG notches, and my receiver has stamped dimples, and it has NO stepped bore.

Does this follow the "Threaded Barrel Syndrome" enough to assume it's threaded?

A side note:

It seems to me that the people who have had trouble cutting the shroud/sleeve off were using TUBE cutters, not PIPE cutters. Tube cutters are made for light gauge / wall tubing, not harder steel.

Edited by Foxtail207

Yeah Billy it"s threaded. That's how the threaded ones I got looked. There was no gap between the barrel and sleeve on the non threaded ones. I just got 4 more in today and like the 4 I got in last week the ones with threads had the chamber end of the barrel beveled. I'll try and get some pics up tomarrow of what to look for. I have 8 examples to go by now so I'm sure of what to look for.

I picked one up yesterday and I think I have the features that would suggest a threaded barrel. 09 manufacture date, stamped dimples but no secondary Y stamp, grooves in the barrel sides, no stepped chamber, but my muzzle doesn't look as "gapped" as the one pictured above. I want to be sure that its threaded before i go cutting on it... if possible.

Yeah Billy it"s threaded. That's how the threaded ones I got looked. There was no gap between the barrel and sleeve on the non threaded ones. I just got 4 more in today and like the 4 I got in last week the ones with threads had the chamber end of the barrel beveled. I'll try and get some pics up tomarrow of what to look for. I have 8 examples to go by now so I'm sure of what to look for.

Does this barrel look like it 's threaded. The rifle meets all the criteria, but the barrel end is not chamfered as much as in Billy's photo.

RSCN1968.jpg

DSCN1952.jpg

I can see the threads im not 100% positive but i think i have all the checks

Am I missing anything on the list? or Forgetting to check a part?

The ammo does not step thats correct right?

IMG_20111104_184034.jpg

Has the handguard cutouts

IMG_20111104_184240.jpg

Here is the full view my buddy gave me his old 45mm red dot he purchased foe $200.00 when they came out its big but works nicely

IMG_20111104_120510.jpg

Ok out of 8 Saigas I ordered, 4 had threaded barrels and 4 did not. The only differences I found was the end of the barrel in the reciever(the end the bullet goes in)is a straight cut in the non threaded barrels and rounded on the threaded barrels. In the first 2 pictures I have the bolts out and top covers off the rifles. You can see the top of the barrel sticking out of the trunion(on the right) into the reciever. The first picture is of the straight ended barrel and the second is of the rounded end. Last 2 pics are of the muzzle ends of the rifles, nonthreaded then threaded. See the gap between the barrel and sleeve on the last pic.

post-15964-0-56667700-1320722589_thumb.jpg

post-15964-0-04398700-1320722758_thumb.jpg

post-15964-0-71607400-1320723294_thumb.jpg

post-15964-0-29178500-1320723338_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grim Industries

Ok out of 8 Saigas I ordered, 4 had threaded barrels and 4 did not. The only differences I found was the end of the barrel in the reciever(the end the bullet goes in)is a straight cut in the non threaded barrels and rounded on the threaded barrels. In the first 2 pictures I have the bolts out and top covers off the rifles. You can see the top of the barrel sticking out of the trunion(on the right) into the reciever. The first picture is of the straight ended barrel and the second is of the rounded end. Last 2 pics are of the muzzle ends of the rifles, nonthreaded then threaded. See the gap between the barrel and sleeve on the last pic.

Well ratz!. From your findings, I assume mine is NOT threaded.

My barrel at the chamber end is cut square (no outside chamfer or rounding) and at the other end it not chamfered as much as shown in the last photo above.

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this thread back up to assess my situation. It seems I've got all the right criteria for a threaded barrel that you folks have listed out, but looking at my barrel, it doesn't look like there would be threads underneath.

According the the number, it's an 09 production,

Dimpled receiver:

IMAG0592.jpg

Handguard notches:

IMAG0591.jpg

Round trunnion:

IMAG0593.jpg

Chamber is also NOT stepped from what I could see.

But take a look at this barrel/shroud...wacko.png

IMAG0594.jpg

What gives??

i have threaded barrel on my 7.62 but i still covered it anyways with a bulgy 24mm block. its just a better brake system imo. i have a blackthorne on my 223 and its a very good piece. i would recommend their FSBs too.