I got factory threaded barrel on my Saiga 7.62

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine has everything that yours has but did not have the threaded barrel. It seems to be a crap shoot. I don't believe a certain criteria exists.

On mine (other recent "threaded barrel" post) I drilled out the dimples (no pins) on both sides of the FSB but also slit the bottom of the FSB. Clamped the old sight into the vise between two blocks o

well that shatters my dreams! i have a march of '09 build with the LHG notches, PG hole, dimples, but i'm not sure about the stepped casings since i have yet to run brass thru it.

Posted Images

i can see the beginning of the threads when i hold a flash light at the end of the barrel. there is a slight gap between the fsb and the the threads. it makes sense as to not damage the threads. i have the 09, factory pg nut hole and etc...i really want to know how to cut the sleeve at the correct length and what type of 74 style brake i need for these factory threads and whats going to hold it securely in place. any good info for this setup. my threads spin counter clockwise. thanks,

jrp - same deal here: HG slots, PG hole, no case ring, 09 manufacture. Thanks for the flashlight idea. I took my trusty little tactical light and looked really closely - left hand threads do seem to be visible. Your thread length question mirrors mine. I also wonder about the value, or not, of the lower HG slots for which ? available HG styles. Seems I learn something new about my carbine every time I log onto this awesome site, thanks to all the smarts out there.

sailor

I just dremeled off my front barrel shrowd and low and behold I have threads!! But I also have some kind of crapy junk/glue on the threads. I am attacking it with a ice pick and small hammer now.

Ice pick and hammer???

Careful not to mess up the threads. I would wrap a solvent soaked rag around the threads and let it work in. Hopefully it would loosen that gunk up a little bit, and you could work a one of those green scrubbies around the threads to get it off.

I just dremeled off my front barrel shrowd and low and behold I have threads!! But I also have some kind of crapy junk/glue on the threads. I am attacking it with a ice pick and small hammer now.

Ice pick and hammer???

Careful not to mess up the threads. I would wrap a solvent soaked rag around the threads and let it work in. Hopefully it would loosen that gunk up a little bit, and you could work a one of those green scrubbies around the threads to get it off.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah it came off nicely with just lite scrapes of the pick down the groves of the treads.

And I have a hand guard grooves and a pistol grip hole. And it was manufactured 02/24/2009.

Now I just need to find a awesome muzzle break to slap on it. Any links would be nice. Thanks

I have a 08 notches in the barrel for the LHG retainer,PG hole factory cut, dimples, but i do have the step neck. i just removed the sleeve to see if i have a threaded barrel and i DO NOT, sob F%*# S$%#. mother%$#$^$^. No biggy. anyway i live in NY so no threading for me.

You do know you can have a threaded barrel here in NY, you just have to tack the brake in place so it can't come off....I know, what good does it do if the break can't come off.

I have a 08 notches in the barrel for the LHG retainer,PG hole factory cut, dimples, but i do have the step neck. i just removed the sleeve to see if i have a threaded barrel and i DO NOT, sob F%*# S$%#. mother%$#$^$^. No biggy. anyway i live in NY so no threading for me.

You do know you can have a threaded barrel here in NY, you just have to tack the brake in place so it can't come off....I know, what good does it do if the break can't come off.

Yeah, I could thread it myself but I would need someone to weld it. If i showed up to my gun store with threads they would probably kick me out, so ill just leave it be

OK - interesting thread. If your Saiga has the following: recent manufacture (2009), Dimples, PG hole, No case neck ring, and Barrel lower HG notches - that seems to indicate a military barrel, as opposed to the modified civilian barrel. The military barrels are factory theaded, so that would seem to be worth the effort to cut off the "sleeve". Two questions. One - are the exposed threads after cutting off the sleeve adequate to accept a brake or flash suppressor (without removing the whole FSB)? Two - does having the barrel lower HG notches allow for different lower HG models to be attached without expensive clamps?

Have the threaded ones only been seen in 7.62x39? I'm working on converting a 223 version that has the barrel notches. It doesn't have dimples (not sure if that's important or not), and I haven't fired it yet to check for the case neck ring. I won't get a chance probably for a couple of weeks, but if it doesn't have the case neck rings, I'm going to get REAL tempted to cut off the sleeve.

Hmmm....now it gets even more interesting. My wife's 5.45x39 has the barrel notches too. And the case neck rings are not there either. I wasn't looking for the rings when I fired the gun last, but I remember wondering about their absence because I "knew" that Saigas were supposed to dent the cases.

Hmmm....now it gets even more interesting. My wife's 5.45x39 has the barrel notches too. And the case neck rings are not there either. I wasn't looking for the rings when I fired the gun last, but I remember wondering about their absence because I "knew" that Saigas were supposed to dent the cases.

Jim, from what I understand the 2009 223 and 5.45 are not (for the most part) threaded under the barrel shroud. Only the 7.62x39 has shown to have these. But having an 09 7.62x39 RAA unit does not guarantee you will have a threaded barrel. As of now its about a 70/30 chance. Apparently (and this is just conjecture based on what I heard) the Russians ran out of the sporter barrels and swapped in others in the latest batch.

Edited by bigsal

Jim, from what I understand the 2009 223 and 5.45 are not (for the most part) threaded under the barrel shroud.

Meaning we know of no examples of this as yet. How many examples do we have? 3 or 4?

Let me put the question out there: How many among us have 5.45 or 223 models _without_ the notched barrels?

Only the 7.62x39 has shown to have these. But having an 09 7.62x39 RAA unit does not guarantee you will have a threaded barrel. As of now its about a 70/30 chance. Apparently (and this is just conjecture based on what I heard) the Russians ran out of the sporter barrels and swapped in others in the latest batch.

How does the case stepping play into this? It doesn't seem like the barrel would have anything to do with that.

Jim

Jim, from what I understand the 2009 223 and 5.45 are not (for the most part) threaded under the barrel shroud.

Meaning we know of no examples of this as yet. How many examples do we have? 3 or 4?

Let me put the question out there: How many among us have 5.45 or 223 models _without_ the notched barrels?

Only the 7.62x39 has shown to have these. But having an 09 7.62x39 RAA unit does not guarantee you will have a threaded barrel. As of now its about a 70/30 chance. Apparently (and this is just conjecture based on what I heard) the Russians ran out of the sporter barrels and swapped in others in the latest batch.

How does the case stepping play into this? It doesn't seem like the barrel would have anything to do with that.

Jim

Jim,

I converted a 223 earlier this year (09 model) and it lacked threads. I have done 08 and 09 7.62x39 models and both lacked threads. I am fairly certain it is just the latest batch of 7.62x39's that have the non sporter barrels with threads.

It would be cool if the 223s had the same feature, but to my knowledge and experience they do not.

to everyone saying they do not have stepped cases, do you all know that the step wont show up in steel cased ammo, only brass from what i understand.

someone please correct me if i am wrong.

i have yet to run brass thru mine but there is no indication of case neck swelling in any of my spent steel. also, i havent read anything on here saying the swelling/step will show up on steel.

just wanted to throw that out there for the guys who might think they do not have the feature. i think the chances of people using brass cased x39 ammo is less likely then steel.

Jim,

I converted a 223 earlier this year (09 model) and it lacked threads. I have done 08 and 09 7.62x39 models and both lacked threads.

Did they have the barrel notches?

I haven't given up hope yet!

:-)

unsure, both the 09s were my buddies and I was not paying close enough attention on the notch issue!

to everyone saying they do not have stepped cases, do you all know that the step wont show up in steel cased ammo, only brass from what i understand.

someone please correct me if i am wrong.

i have yet to run brass thru mine but there is no indication of case neck swelling in any of my spent steel. also, i havent read anything on here saying the swelling/step will show up on steel.

just wanted to throw that out there for the guys who might think they do not have the feature. i think the chances of people using brass cased x39 ammo is less likely then steel.

the case necks show up in my rifle and i shoot steel

the case necks show up in my rifle and i shoot steel

thats good to know! i was under the impression (self perceived apparently), that this 'feature' only showed up on brass.

sidenote, i am assuming that these threads are the 14mm variety?

I think you can tell if your gun has threads just by looking at the gap between the barrel and the sleeve. I'm almost definitely sure mine doesn't have threads. But I went to my local gun store, brought my saiga with me, and looked at 09 7.62x39 models with DIMPLES, and you can tell that the gap between the barrel meets the sleeve is wider than that of older models, like mine.

Next time I go, I'll take pictures to back up my claim. But if any of you have an 08 and an 09 model with dimples laying around, take a look at that.

My Saiga is a version 03 dated in the booklet 09-02-26 (26 February 2009). It has dimples, PG hole, NO case neck ring/step, lower HG grooves. By using a strong light on the muzzle/sleeve joint, it appears fairly clearly that there is the beginning cut for the threads, and the sleeve/barrel gap is noticable. I did not intend to go for a muzzle brake, but with the threads almost certainly already cut, the temtation increases. Now to learn which brake model is the most effective/cost. Also to learn if the barrel grooves aid in mounting a lower HG. The projects never end!

still only the second factory thread job ive hears of.

+1 the second i have heard of. both are 09 models.

not true i just got my 09 model called raa for date of manufacture was 09 had to send mine to tac 47 for barell thread have seen complete front site with threads may have installed if bought used have found out bulgarian threads are 24 to 1.5 rh thread tapco/ american threads are 14 to 1 left hand

And the confusion continues to mount. Izmash barrel threads are what __ x__? Bulgarian are 24 to 1.5 RH - TAPCO/US threads are 14 to 1 LH (Russian?). Millimeters or inches? Got to get some conclusions on what is what, before ordering anything. I don't mean to be picky, but we need to get our apples and oranges sorted out. Too many parts adds do not include enough info to match to a particular model AK/Saiga, unless you already know what you are doing - I don't.

Russian and other's use 14-1 on there ak's and akm's. On ak-74 and variants the rusky's ,bulgys,germans used 24mm that were cut into the fsb. The romanian 74s used 22mm threads,and the polish with there tantal (wz.88) is the only ak74 variant that uses the 14 to 1 left hand threads cut into the barrel.

I thinks thats about right. basically,no 5.45 or .223 variants had threaded barrels,only fsb's.

you'd know if you had 24mm threads or cap on the end as it would be rather large, in comparison to the rest of the barrel.

24mm on the left, 14mm on the right....

http://media.photobucket.com/image/ak47%2014mm/Gamonman/Brakes002.jpg

a 7.62x39 Saiga with 24mm threads from the factory would be a rare sight, i would think.

Edited by Mullet Man