I got factory threaded barrel on my Saiga 7.62

Let me be brave enough to ask a question, lol. I just got my first AK and for somebody who didn't know a damn thing about them, I got lucky to have picked the right one, meaning 2009, and all the "good" criteria that we have been discussing. My question is, what is that real fine threading looking marks on the barrel from the handguard to the front site. It is real fine and I didn't even notice it until I had my flashlight looking at the end of the barrel for the other threads we have been discussing. My guess it just gives off heat better or something? I do have another question, but I will find the answer to it after this post as it is a dumbass question that I know is already answered, which would be how to get the handguard off; I'm having hell flipping that lever.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine has everything that yours has but did not have the threaded barrel. It seems to be a crap shoot. I don't believe a certain criteria exists.

On mine (other recent "threaded barrel" post) I drilled out the dimples (no pins) on both sides of the FSB but also slit the bottom of the FSB. Clamped the old sight into the vise between two blocks o

well that shatters my dreams! i have a march of '09 build with the LHG notches, PG hole, dimples, but i'm not sure about the stepped casings since i have yet to run brass thru it.

Posted Images

Were the notches cut into the side of the barrel for the lower handgaurd retainer? Does your barrel put the step into the neck of the casings? My brother picked up an '09 that has the notches cut into the barrel and it also does not step the cases... leaving me to believe he may have a barrel that is also threaded...

(He plans on removing his FSB sometime in the near future, but hasn't yet)

I didn't noticed any step in the casing but I did not look closely into any of them, I will check on this next week.

I am not sure where these notches that you are talking about should I remove the handgaurd to be able to see them?

Yup

Close up

post-1914-12611122250484_thumb.jpg

Far shot

post-1914-12611122605784_thumb.jpg

Mine has a manufacture date of August 2011. It's 'stepped' and has the same notches under the handguard as shown in these 2 pics. Can I conclude mine is threaded??

Let me ask ( as I've done in another forum and had my head chopped off asking !)...... please tell me the "basis" for you saying your guns's build-date is August, 2011. I have no markings beyond "year" of manufacture on my gun ( H09XXXXX = 2009)...and the paperwork that came with my gun shows an April, 2011 ( ! ) proof date or quality approval stamp date at the factory, the dates being almost 2 years apart !! ......

So....how are you guys getting "build-dates" ???? of day/month/year ????......

Back to your question.....you cannot "conclude" anything...as there are too many exceptions. Best you can say, is to work the probabilities based on the other features you gun has or doesn't have. Look closely at the muzzle-end, and you may see a small gap and the beginnings of a "thread"...if it has threading underneath.

Edited by IPSC45

Let me ask ( as I've done in another forum and had my head chopped off asking !)...... please tell me the "basis" for you saying your guns's build-date is August, 2011. I have no markings beyond "year" of manufacture on my gun ( H09XXXXX = 2009)...and the paperwork that came with my gun shows an April, 2011 ( ! ) proof date or quality approval stamp date at the factory, the dates being almost 2 years apart !! ......

beaten.gifbeaten.gifbeaten.gifbeaten.gifbeaten.gifbeaten.gifbeaten.gifbeaten.gifbeaten.gifbeaten.gifbeaten.gif AB.

Back to your question.....you cannot "conclude" anything...as there are too many exceptions. Best you can say, is to work the probabilities based on the other features you gun has or doesn't have. Look closely at the muzzle-end, and you may see a small gap and the beginnings of a "thread"...if it has threading underneath.

OK OK OK OK ... Sorry ... reading is essential. I should've read all 8 pages of this thread before I posted my question :>)

My "August 2011" came from the manual ... not the actual stamped serial# in receiver which, seems to be like most of yaz - H09XXXXXX

I promise I'll start reading more often 000.gif ...

Ahh.... bluezguy..... settle down, no need to be sorry for anything. Just that so many are quoting build dates....just wanted to know "how" you got that info....thought I missed something in the info that was available. We're good.

Edited by IPSC45
  • 1 month later...

Have a serial of H09.... Chief of inspection 09.03.2 (maybe 21)... A reconservation of 1/16/2012, no stepped chamber, hand guard grooves, pistol grip hole, whatever else... And THREADED BARREL!!! Lol.. Happy to see something after an hour with a small pipe cutter..

0dec69ad.jpg

Edited by Lidocaine Looney
  • 2 months later...

My 7.62 build date is 09, no stepped chamber, factory PG hole, HG grooves, feed ramp, dimples. Here's what the business end looks like.

img201210082136581024x7.jpg

Even thought I have all the "goods" that would point to a threaded barrel, I just dont see it being one.

Mine had all the signs of having come off the military line as well, finally got around to pipe-cutting the barrel shroud off, no threads there damnit and have yet to find a local smith that will (or can do) the LH threads. Buying the die and doing it myself will have to wait, I've got waaaay too many projects as well as being self employed to keep me busy for a strictly cosmetic mod.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this isn't too much of a necro, but my rifle has the following features:

-H09605427L serial number (so I assume it's a 2009 model)

-dimpled receiver

-beveled chamber lip (unstepped)

-cut AK handguard grooves

And here is the business end:

MuzzleShroud.jpg

Given all of the signals, I think I may have threads underneath this shroud. I will be cutting 5/8" off of it tomorrow. Anyone care to guess if it has threads? =D

EDIT: No threads. T_T

Edited by mhswlee

I hope this isn't too much of a necro, but my rifle has the following features:

-H09605427L serial number (so I assume it's a 2009 model)

-dimpled receiver

-beveled chamber lip (unstepped)

-cut AK handguard grooves

And here is the business end:

MuzzleShroud.jpg

Given all of the signals, I think I may have threads underneath this shroud. I will be cutting 5/8" off of it tomorrow. Anyone care to guess if it has threads? =D

EDIT: No threads. T_T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...