35 members have voted

1. 1. How well did I do?

• I like it.
    • Its not so great.

This is the first time I have ever done a camo job and I am curious to hear what people think. First off let me say that I have always liked both the woodland and the tiger stripe patterns very much. I could not decide on what I liked better so I tried to incorporate the two together to see what it would look like. The paint I used was the Krylon camo paint in black, brown, and OD green.

Here is what I did.

First I painted the whole rifle black, let it dry then ripped some painters tape of the roll and placed them down on the gun for the black stripes. Next I painted the whole thing brown. As I waited for the brown to dry I put a bunch of tape on a sheet of Plexiglas then drew and cut out the patterns for the brown spots. When the brown was dry I placed the tape patterns on the rifle then painted it with the OD green. When the green was dry I removed all of the tape and this is what I was left with.

Just a note... I didn't do as much brown as I originally wanted to because I thought the green would be a little darker and didn't want it to look to dark over all. The green was alot lighter then I expected and now I think there may be way to much green now.

post-13453-1261096559005_thumb.jpg

Wow thanks for the positive feedback. It is a 1937 7mm czech vz 24. I usually dont like doing this type of thing to a rifle like that but i only paid $50 for it and it is missing some minor part like the front sight protector and cleaning kit, the finish on the steel was almost non existant, it had some heavy pitting on the barrel sides and a little bit on the trigger/mag housing, and the wood was cracked and dented all over. The bore however was in good shape and it shoots great. It will make a great hunting rifle

A pretty overwhelming stroke of your ego! 16+ votes, and no negatives!

The only bad thing that I can find with it is that it was Krylon. When you try and clean your rifle next time out, you can't use any solvents like Hoppes 9 or Gun Scrubber.

You might want to invest in some Duracoat and start a site showing what you can do! There is good money to be made on good-looking camo!

Excellent job!

A pretty overwhelming stroke of your ego! 16+ votes, and no negatives!

The only bad thing that I can find with it is that it was Krylon. When you try and clean your rifle next time out, you can't use any solvents like Hoppes 9 or Gun Scrubber.

You might want to invest in some Duracoat and start a site showing what you can do! There is good money to be made on good-looking camo!

Excellent job!

I was thinking the same thing before I started but I didnt really want to spend alot of money on something that I thought would come out like crap. In the future if I ever decide to do it again I will use the duracoat. I used duracoat when I converted my saiga and it is good stuff.

Do you think I can get away with putting a few coats of duracoat clear coat over it?

I would think so as long as it was thick enough to cover the Krylon completely. According to their site, you can put Duracoat Clear over bluing or other finish on a firearm!

I am sure they don't advertise that you can put it over Krylon for a reason!

Let us know if it works out!

I dont plan on bringing it out for alittle while so im probably going to wait just a little bit to clear coat it. I will get the matte finish but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to go over the whole rifle with 0000 steel wool very very lightly after the clear coat is fully cured to try and dull down any luster it might have.I know that even the matte finish has a bit of a shine to it because the matte black I used on my saiga did.