Be sure what kind of M1 carbine it is, i.e. a true military one or just a knock off. Do a little research on which companies produced them for the government, like Inland, IBM, Rockola, etc. as some are more rare than others, and if possible have it examined by someone qualified to determine if it's been repaired or modded which may lessen its value.

Be sure what kind of M1 carbine it is, i.e. a true military one or just a knock off. Do a little research on which companies produced them for the government, like Inland, IBM, Rockola, etc. as some are more rare than others, and if possible have it examined by someone qualified to determine if it's been repaired or modded which may lessen its value.

Okay, I know Kahr makes a replica, I didn't realize that there were other knock offs.

The feed ramps on the M1 carbine are a real pain in the ass. I've had a pistol version and the carbine, both needed some serious work in order to get it to feed reliably. Don't know anything about Hakims, never even shot one. I think there was an article in shotgun news on the Hakim, might wanna take a look at it.

The feed ramps on the M1 carbine are a real pain in the ass. I've had a pistol version and the carbine, both needed some serious work in order to get it to feed reliably. Don't know anything about Hakims, never even shot one. I think there was an article in shotgun news on the Hakim, might wanna take a look at it.

Okay thanks, I have had trouble finding much info about those. What did you have done on the feed ramps to improve it?

Edited by superA

I load up a few mags and just keep working the action to see where there maybe a hangup and then steel wool that area......It's a ton of fun (sarcasm). If you don't mind my asking, why the hankering for an M1?

I'm not on it too hard. A guy just has one for sale and I thought I'd check them out a bit. I do think it would make a good trunk gun or maybe something for my wife to graduate up to from her 10/22. She doesn't like recoil or complexity.

I load up a few mags and just keep working the action to see where there maybe a hangup and then steel wool that area......It's a ton of fun (sarcasm). If you don't mind my asking, why the hankering for an M1?

I'm not on it too hard. A guy just has one for sale and I thought I'd check them out a bit. I do think it would make a good trunk gun or maybe something for my wife to graduate up to from her 10/22. She doesn't like recoil or complexity.

I was considering an M1 carbine for similar reasons. Something I learned is that if it's a Universal, be aware that it is more than likely not USGI spec, and USGI parts may or may not interchange, depending upon the year it was made.

I was considering an M1 carbine for similar reasons. Something I learned is that if it's a Universal, be aware that it is more than likely not USGI spec, and USGI parts may or may not interchange, depending upon the year it was made.

Will do. Thanks.

Okay, I know Kahr makes a replica, I didn't realize that there were other knock offs.

Think Universal, Alpine, National Ordnance, and Federal Ordnance were brands of knock offs. Most military makes did not have the brand stamped near the chamber--they are stamped to the back of the rear sight.

Think Universal, Alpine, National Ordnance, and Federal Ordnance were brands of knock offs. Most military makes did not have the brand stamped near the chamber--they are stamped to the back of the rear sight.

Okay, good deal. I have him checking for me tonight. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

just my $.02

I have only had 2 accidental discharges on all the firearms I have worked on (knock on wood) both were M1 Carbines (iver johnson and universal) they are also prone to running off (going full auto), doubling, and feeding issues. The military ones are better but still not great.

-E

Here's a good writeup on the Hakim: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/hakimstory/index.asp

I've never heard of an Israeli version, but there are surely a bunch of Egyptian battlefield pick-ups in Israeli hands. The Hakim is basically a Swedish AG-42 Ljungmann in 8mm Mauser. Egypt bought tooling directly from Sweden and changed up to 8mm to make use of plentiful milsurp Mauser ammo left over from WW2. The Hakim also has an adjustable gas system so you can tune it to work with a greater variety of ammo.

They're pretty cool rifles. Good shooters, easy enough to maintain, and very loud with the big muzzle brake. Just watch your thumb! If a Garand might bruise your thumbnail, a Hakim will rip your thumb clean off. :lol:

Here's a good writeup on the Hakim: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/hakimstory/index.asp

I've never heard of an Israeli version, but there are surely a bunch of Egyptian battlefield pick-ups in Israeli hands. The Hakim is basically a Swedish AG-42 Ljungmann in 8mm Mauser. Egypt bought tooling directly from Sweden and changed up to 8mm to make use of plentiful milsurp Mauser ammo left over from WW2. The Hakim also has an adjustable gas system so you can tune it to work with a greater variety of ammo.

They're pretty cool rifles. Good shooters, easy enough to maintain, and very loud with the big muzzle brake. Just watch your thumb! If a Garand might bruise your thumbnail, a Hakim will rip your thumb clean off. :lol:

Thanks for posting this.