How can I get more distance from my Saiga 12?

I have the 19" saiga 12 with only a cylinder choke. I went rabbit hunting today and as I expected, I couldn't get enough distance to hit any rabbits past about 25-30 yards. I'm planning on ordering a full choke from EAA. Will this give me much more distance with my shots? I was using the cheap Walmart special 2 3/4" #8 1 1/8 oz. shot loads. Will I notice a larger effective range with just the full choke or do I need to step up to 3" magnum shells? Thanks.

:unsure: Does your saiga have a threaded barrel? ^_^ If so you can thread a modified or even a full choke on there and you will see very noticeable improvements on your peelet delivery at moderate ranges of 20-50 yards. :killer: I have know idea how well you shoot, but if you do shoot well then you will want a full choke on there and use bigger size shoot :up: so you have less lead in your diet. :super: you want your pellets to pass through your target, not stay in it. 8, 71/2, and even 6 size shot passed 20 yards want pass through your duck or rabbit. You need sizes 5, 4, and 2 to make clean leadless kills. Trust me I am a waterfowl and upland game Pro-guide in Washington state and I know what I am talking about. Also 3" shells will give you a 10%-15% more pellet count on your target, but you may not need it if you are allready sturating your target with lead with your full choke screwed on tight. Oh' yeah don't be careless and forget to always, even during hunting to check to see if your choke is still screwed on tight, nary a shotgun has been abused by careless maintnence. ;)

Enjoy your hunts and remember a running game does not have made cow disease, eat'em up! :)

:phone: One more comment about shotgun shells. The ounce (OZ) shot you use is very important as it determines the qaunity of shot you have in your shell. Plus the amount of powder Drams , it's the unit of measurement, matter as will determine the speed and power that it will deliver to the target.

Generaly speaking a MAX load of powder and a light load of shot (7/8 or 1 1/8oz) will mean a fast flight (1300+ fps). A MAX load of powder and heavy load of shot (1 1/4 or 1 7/8 oz) will mean a slower flight (1150-1200+ fps).

;) My recomended load for rabbit is a box of Winchester Super XX w/ 1 1/4oz of 4 shot and MAX load of powder in 2 3/4" 12 ga. shell.

Swing through your target and touch off at the right lead :killer: .

Thanks rock, Yes I have the 19" threaded barrel model. I just ordered a set of chokes this morning from EAA, they said that you can't buy chokes separately, you have to buy the whole set of 3, which really sucks because I don't need the thread protecter comes with the set because I already have a cylinder bore choke on the gun. Thanks for the suggestions, it looks like I need to step up in shot size (ie #4 or #5) and try running the full or mod chokes when I get them.