Cost for DIY conversion?

Many of the vendors on this forum carry everything you need.

Carolina Shooters supply has a regular website (not forum page) & they have everything. The cheapest basic conversion would be around $100.00 in parts, a screwdriver & a dremmel. That is if you buy the parts brand new.

And yes on the parts count if the new parts are US made.

EDIT: a little off on price if you need a bullet guide.

But a lot of people make their own.

Edited by Paulyski
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes on the US made parts count. Many of us with the .223 use Surefire mags that include 3 US made parts so we can keep the stock forearm. With all the low cost high quality mil surp mags for the AK74, you need to change either the forearm or the gas piston! And yes, you should add the $35 for the bullet guide to use the mil surp mags (unless your good at machine work and can make your own).

So, to answer your question:

Stock: $40

Grip: $17

Grip screw and nut: $10

Forearm: $40 (Interfuse Tapco now $39!)

FCG: $35

Total: $142

(With bullet guide option: $177)

I'm not factoring freight or tax and there may be better deals of not. So, with the current landed price of a Saiga rifle at $375 the total will be around $552. I just bought 8 AK74 mags for $86 w/frt including 2 mag pouches. So now

$552 converted rifle

$86 AK74 mags (8)

$175 1080 5.42x39 rounds (mil surp spam can)

$813 Grand total

Russian Avtomat Rifle

Value:::::::::::::::::::::: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:super:

Don't forget the oil Comrade!

Yes on the US made parts count. Many of us with the .223 use Surefire mags that include 3 US made parts so we can keep the stock forearm. With all the low cost high quality mil surp mags for the AK74, you need to change either the forearm or the gas piston!

My understanding is that only 4 imported parts need to be replaced. So you could do a conversion with these U.S. parts:

1) buttstock (1)

2) FCG (3)

3) Pistol grip (1, but doesn't help parts count because it is an addition, not a replacement)

So the handguard does not need to be replaced. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

And then the non-countable (but still needed) parts:

1) Hole plugs

2) Pistol grip nut and screw

3) Bullet guide kit

4) Krebs (or other) retainer plate

5) Screw and nut for trigger guard

This is pretty inexpensive, actually.

Here's how I priced it out recently:

Krebs retainer plate: 7.95

Pistol grip nut and screw: 7.95

Tapco Pistol grip: 12.95

Tapco Buttstock: 32.95

Fire Control Group: 28.95

Bullet guide kit: 26.00

Hole plugs: 1.00

Screw and nut for trigger guard: 1.00

Total: $118.75

But more expensive if you use K-VAR or other furniture.

Jim

Edited by Jim Digriz

Yes on the US made parts count. Many of us with the .223 use Surefire mags that include 3 US made parts so we can keep the stock forearm. With all the low cost high quality mil surp mags for the AK74, you need to change either the forearm or the gas piston!

My understanding is that only 4 imported parts need to be replaced. So you could do a conversion with these U.S. parts:

1) buttstock (1)

2) FCG (3)

3) Pistol grip (1, but doesn't help parts count because it is an addition, not a replacement)

So the handguard does not need to be replaced. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!)

And then the non-countable (but still needed) parts:

1) Hole plugs

2) Pistol grip nut and screw

3) Bullet guide kit

4) Krebs (or other) retainer plate

5) Screw and nut for trigger guard

This is pretty inexpensive, actually.

Here's how I priced it out recently:

Krebs retainer plate: 7.95

Pistol grip nut and screw: 7.95

Tapco Pistol grip: 12.95

Tapco Buttstock: 32.95

Fire Control Group: 28.95

Bullet guide kit: 26.00

Hole plugs: 1.00

Screw and nut for trigger guard: 1.00

Total: $118.75

But more expensive if you use K-VAR or other furniture.

Jim

K-VAR's the best furniture...why cut corners with anything else?

1) buttstock (1)

2) FCG (3)

You should check your self before you end up in hot water.

When you install a pistol grip, you are adding a part to the total parts count. This means you will have 15 countable parts after you bolt it on.

1) Hole plugs Why does he need that? He can weld up the holes (if he has a welder or a friend who welds), or he can leave them open. I personally think a welder should be brought into play to close up all the extra holes (there is a big one and a few small ones on the bottom)

4) Krebs (or other) retainer plate Why does he need that? Every Saiga comes with a retaining wire that can be used for this purpose.

Why spend money when you don't have to?

Edited by nalioth

Yep, your right. If you use a US stock and FCG your good to go! Must use a US grip (that is a wash on count). If you use a import stock or grip you need to change the forearm or gas piston and it would help to use US mags. Don't have to plug holes (cheap to do) and the OEM spring with a simple mod works great to hold pins (don't need retaining plates).

Still, good!

K-VAR's the best furniture...why cut corners with anything else?

I was giving a basically bare bones cost estimate. I've used K-VAR for two of the three conversions I've done, and Tapco for the other. And truth be told, there's nothing at all wrong with the Tapco buttstock and pistol grip (although I do prefer the K-VAR alternative for both).

Edited by Jim Digriz

Don't have to plug holes (cheap to do) and the OEM spring with a simple mod works great to hold pins (don't need retaining plates).

Yes, it would be better to weld up the holes than to use the hole plugs. I don't have that ability (as most probably don't), so I use the plugs. And they looks just like AK rivets.

As for the retainer plate, Jim Fuller (of Rifle Dynamics) says the OEM spring is the weak point of the AK, and the retainer plate is more reliable. That's good enough for me, and it only costs $7.95.

When you install a pistol grip, you are adding a part to the total parts count. This means you will have 15 countable parts after you bolt it on.

OK, but if I use a U.S. pistol grip (and U.S. buttstock and FCG), I still have only 10 imported parts.

OK, but if I use a U.S. pistol grip (and U.S. buttstock and FCG), I still have only 10 imported parts.

I understand that.

I also understand the mindset of "it doesn't count" can come around and bite you later. It is a "countable part" on the rifle, no matter if it counts for or against you compliance-wise.

I understand that.

I also understand the mindset of "it doesn't count" can come around and bite you later. It is a "countable part" on the rifle, no matter if it counts for or against you compliance-wise.

Right. Certainly it is a countable part.

The main point I was originally trying to get across was, if you use U.S. parts for the buttstock, pistol grip, and FCG, you don't have to replace the handguard. And if you do replace the handguard, you will have to buy a handguard retainer and possibly a gas tube (unless you use one of the few Saiga-specific handguards on the market), thus significantly increasing conversion cost.