SGM 308 bolt on muzzle brake now available $169.95

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gee...thanks so much for your helpful nature as well as your tremendous insight on inflation as relates to how much less we all use to spend on guns & ammo.   Here are the details on this custom

$169.95.   Two years ago you could buy an S223 for just over $200.   Seeing as you're beating the shit out of your gun anyway, why not just remove the front sight post and thread the barrel.

So you fully admit to being a troll? Wow.   But your also a know-it-all as well? I'll just PM all my observations and notes to you for editing prior to posting.   Is there an ignore feature on

Posted Images

My MB mounted within minutes. Still haven't got to the range yet. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot it this weekend...

This is the SGM 308 break? It looks so much more bulky behind the FSB than the one in the pic on the web site. It looks kind of weird :unsure:

My MB mounted within minutes. Still haven't got to the range yet. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot it this weekend...

Good job bigboi!

I'm curious...Did you measure your distance from the end of the barrel assembly back to the front sight? And did you have to remove metal from the rear of the front sight to get the clamping portion to ride flush and even on the barrel at the forward bolt holes?

If you did not have to dremel metal off the rear of the sight, and the brake mounted in minutes, I'm thinking that my rifle's 4/16 inch distance...that additional 1/16th inch...is what pulled the brake forward enough to cause the front nub of the clamping portion of the brake to ride high on/against the back of the front sight.

Edited by CaptSkip

Looks tacky and as if it should go on an M16 i think il just double the price and get another AK

Exactly when did the AK platform become "classy"?

Heh looks were never in my list, functionality always trumps glam but that doesnt mean the AK isnt just the sexiest thing ever that can be cleaned with muddy water and an old rag and still put the next 500 rounds on target.

I'll be completing my entire conversion next week, including front-end and receiver re-paint. I believe the 'large-ness' of the SGM .308 Brake will be visually well balanced on the 16-inch carbine when using the DPH/CNC-Warrior .308 Tri-Rail I purchased from Carolina Shooter Supply (Thanks Greg!).

Hope to have pics before the end of January.

Till then, here are some pics of Russian soldiers (and Medvedev) fielding AKs with a very similar brake design to the SGM .308 Muzzle Brake.

russian3.jpg

russian4.jpg

russian5.jpg

russian6.jpg

Edited by CaptSkip
  • 3 weeks later...

Well if someone would donate the use of one I could give it next week. :killer:

Unfortunately, well not really, Im changing the irons on my x39 to Krebs aperture and tril front sights.So my wad is blown for a while as ammo is priority one next month. The thing Im most concerned with on the MB is accuracy effects and if any flash reduction is realized.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • 2 weeks later...

BUMP...

Really, nobody on this forum has tried this thing yet?! I'm going to end up threading my barrel and pinning a brake on at this rate. If it does what it says it does I may give it a shot cause of the F'd up laws of my land, but I want to see if you guys wasted $169 first :)

• Like 1

BUMP...

Really, nobody on this forum has tried this thing yet?! I'm going to end up threading my barrel and pinning a brake on at this rate. If it does what it says it does I may give it a shot cause of the F'd up laws of my land, but I want to see if you guys wasted $169 first :)

Mine is essentially on my rifle, though I've been delayed with completion of my conversion because I have a new drill press to mount on my work-bench in the garage...(This project was my excuse to finally buy one!)...and I've had a slew of unexpected doctor visits for the last few weeks.

All that being said, even if I complete my conversion next week as I hope, hit it with some paint and post some pics here, it may still be a few weeks before my doctor will let me head to the range out in the sticks to shoot the rifle!

Alas, this may not fit within your timetable of needing a confirmation or vindication as to function within in your parameters and whether you decide us Ginny-pigs wasted money or not. Sorry about that.

I am though confident of the following:

My mounting of the brake is correct, true and secure...it will remain concentric to the bore and remain affixed to the rifle.

The rifle will go bang ever time, and the projectiles will go down-range consistently, with an increase in accuracy and reduction in muzzle climb as yet to be determined.

Hope this helps. :smoke:

• 2 weeks later...

The Verdict is in!!! It is official: The SGM Tactical .308 muzzle brake......ROCKS!!! OMG I can't believe it is the same rifle! Now this was just an initial testing and was done in a heavily wooded area but let me tell you that there is a HUGE difference in the rifle. First off, the recoil is GREATLY REDUCED! The recoil is on par with my WASR 10/63! I couldn't believe it either! Follow up shots with this muzzle brake are simple. I was shooting at about 25-30 yards with iron sights and nailing it! I'm telling you, I am so excited and can't wait for deer season this year. All I need now is an optic, but there's plenty of time. If you don't have the money or a gunsmith that is willing to work on threading your barrel, then this is BY FAR the best option! It was well worth the money. I'm going to the REAL range this weekend so I hope I can post some video soon. That's all for now people...

The Verdict is in!!! It is official: The SGM Tactical .308 muzzle brake......ROCKS!!! OMG I can't believe it is the same rifle! Now this was just an initial testing and was done in a heavily wooded area but let me tell you that there is a HUGE difference in the rifle. First off, the recoil is GREATLY REDUCED! The recoil is on par with my WASR 10/63! I couldn't believe it either! Follow up shots with this muzzle brake are simple. I was shooting at about 25-30 yards with iron sights and nailing it! I'm telling you, I am so excited and can't wait for deer season this year. All I need now is an optic, but there's plenty of time. If you don't have the money or a gunsmith that is willing to work on threading your barrel, then this is BY FAR the best option! It was well worth the money. I'm going to the REAL range this weekend so I hope I can post some video soon. That's all for now people...

Let us know how the range turns out. And I know their website says this has no flash hiding capabilities, but did you notice if your fireball was a little more tame? One last thing, how much louder did it make it? I know mine is super loud without a brake and I tend to piss people off at the range...

As for the recoil reduction and accuracy increase, hell yeah! Again, I can't wait for your range report. What ammo do you usually shot out of yours?

• Like 1

Let us know how the range turns out. And I know their website says this has no flash hiding capabilities, but did you notice if your fireball was a little more tame? One last thing, how much louder did it make it? I know mine is super loud without a brake and I tend to piss people off at the range...

As for the recoil reduction and accuracy increase, hell yeah! Again, I can't wait for your range report. What ammo do you usually shot out of yours?

I was shooting brown bear this time. I usually shoot Remington soft point ammo. There was very little flash that I noticed and the noise is propelled forward so it is much easier on the ears. I'm telling you it is awesome to shoot now. I was thinking of putting a millet dms on it. I don't think I can find one before the range trip though...

I was shooting brown bear this time. I usually shoot Remington soft point ammo. There was very little flash that I noticed and the noise is propelled forward so it is much easier on the ears. I'm telling you it is awesome to shoot now. I was thinking of putting a millet dms on it. I don't think I can find one before the range trip though...

Nice, I usually have an 8 inch fireball from the Brown Bear and I have a giant stock of it, looks like I may have to try this out. Oh, you got a pic of it mounted on the rifle?

• Like 1

Ya know, I've got a little 16" barreled Saiga .308 that I was considering getting this item for. In fact I've been very curious about it as of late.

I was concerned with how this brake will affect accuracy. I've done some paper shooting with my rifle at 100 yards using 2003 production Lithuanian Surplus, 147 GR 7.62.51 NATO stuff. With iron sights, I've always stayed within a 5" x 5" group, when I'm really concentrating.

At 100 yards, I'll set up shaken-up pop cans (fruit punch is my favorite) and consistently hit 7-12 in a row, about 3 seconds between shots.

Furthermore, I recently had the chance to shoot it (with the same ammo) on a 400 yard range. I set up 16oz sized (approx. 3" x 5") water bottles full of Tannerite at about the 350 yard mark, and with my rear leaf sight one click above the "3" mark, I was consistently hitting those things in 1-2 shots apiece. Granted, I was on the 400meter setting on the rear leaf sight, and I had to aim slightly low and just a tad to the left, but that could have been wind.

I'm not trying to bullshit anybody here, and I'm not showing off. I was just as surprised to find that I could get that kind of accuracy out of my gun, and with only iron sights no less!

Where this anecdote is going is this: Has anybody, or will anybody do any bench-rest shooting with and without this brake, to actually get a feel for how it shoots? I'm not saying I don't trust the guys at SGM, but they've got a product to sell, ya know?

I'm pretty damn impressed (and satisfied) with the accuracy of my gun as it is. Does the improvement in accuracy when using this brake justify the $170 price tag or should I take that money and replenish my supply of .308 ammunition?

Just ordered it!!!! :super: and I got a SWEET 5% discount from CSS for being a forum member!! HIGH FIVE CSS! Now I can't wait to get it and get that beefy bitch installed on my baby. As soon as I do, I'll have some good pics and a video or two of it in action. :killer:

I think I'll be almost as excited as this kid when it comes in the mail...almost...

What do people think about the 4 piece bulgarian krinkov brake using an ak74 fsb?

Do you know what barrel OD those would fit on? I think it would still require a threaded barrel. This thread is about a clip on break... Edited by DrGonZo

Mine just came in the mail today :super: !!! Got it installed in about 3-4 minutes. It IS as bulky as it looks, but not quite as heavy as it looks.

Now I just have to get out to the range this weekend for a little functionality test run and to get some sweet pics and vids for everyone's criticism/enjoyment.

I'm pretty damn impressed (and satisfied) with the accuracy of my gun as it is. Does the improvement in accuracy when using this brake justify the $170 price tag or should I take that money and replenish my supply of .308 ammunition?

Where did you get that ammo? I'm always interested in feeding different types to my .308, never know how it will react. The best was some POF(Pakistani) from 1990, got some groups that people wouldn't believe... I've also heard that this stuff can make your weapon blow up.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump! Where are the range reports, people?

Just got back from the range today :haha: after shooting my S308 with my new SGM muzzle break. I am very pleased with how much it actually reduced recoil. It feels much more like shooting a 7.62x39. It allows for much faster and accurate follow up shots :super:. I was a bit apprehensive to buy one because of how massive they look in the pictures, but after shooting my rifle with it installed, I could care less about how it looks. It has also kind of grown on me. Even if it's kinda bulky and ugly, Its on MY Saiga, so I love it. If you are trying to decide weather or not to buy one, just do it. You won't be disappointed. If you are one of the Trolls that is only here to bash a bolt on break, Get out! I'll upload the vid I took later...

Here's a link to the video:

Edited by DrGonZo