SGM 308 bolt on muzzle brake now available $169.95

Bump! Where are the range reports, people?

Just got back from the range today :haha: after shooting my S308 with my new SGM muzzle break. I am very pleased with how much it actually reduced recoil. It feels much more like shooting a 7.62x39. It allows for much faster and accurate follow up shots :super:. I was a bit apprehensive to buy one because of how massive they look in the pictures, but after shooting my rifle with it installed, I could care less about how it looks. It has also kind of grown on me. Even if it's kinda bulky and ugly, Its on MY Saiga, so I love it. If you are trying to decide weather or not to buy one, just do it. You won't be disappointed. If you are one of the Trolls that is only here to bash a bolt on break, Get out! I'll upload the vid I took later...

AWESOME!!!! Happy to hear that!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gee...thanks so much for your helpful nature as well as your tremendous insight on inflation as relates to how much less we all use to spend on guns & ammo.   Here are the details on this custom

$169.95.   Two years ago you could buy an S223 for just over $200.   Seeing as you're beating the shit out of your gun anyway, why not just remove the front sight post and thread the barrel.

So you fully admit to being a troll? Wow.   But your also a know-it-all as well? I'll just PM all my observations and notes to you for editing prior to posting.   Is there an ignore feature on

Posted Images

So no other reviews of this brake?

Dude, I know. Its a lost cause to try to get any hard accuracy info out of these guys. Its kinda like talking to a brick wall.

So far, no one has done any extensive testing/reviews. All I'm hearing is that its "good" or "great"; words that are purely qualitative, not quantitative.

If someone gives me some hard data, I'll drop the coin for one of these. Otherwise, what's the point?

Here's my "naked Saiga using the pictured ammo

Saigafina3.jpg

Saigafinal2.jpg

I'll beta test it and post the results if they send me one.

If it works I'll send them the wholesale cost and keep it.

That ammo is going for $2.00+ a round now.

That is my offer to prove or disprove the claims.

This is the rifle

Finished1.jpg

Edited by gunnysmith

Dude, I know. Its a lost cause to try to get any hard accuracy info out of these guys. Its kinda like talking to a brick wall.

So far, no one has done any extensive testing/reviews. All I'm hearing is that its "good" or "great"; words that are purely qualitative, not quantitative.

If someone gives me some hard data, I'll drop the coin for one of these. Otherwise, what's the point?

I bought the thing, went through all the trouble of reserving the range to make a quick video, and gave a quick rundown on the results of my findings. What else do you want? Either buy it or don't man. Range time for me and my co-workers are hard to come by, so I can't just sit at 100 yards firing 3 and 5 shot groups for accuracy. Its just not an efficient use of range time. Don't blast us for trying to help others in their decision making. Jeez, you can't please some people. If you want a super accurate rifle, get a Remington 700 or a Savage anyway!

I bought the thing, went through all the trouble of reserving the range to make a quick video, and gave a quick rundown on the results of my findings. What else do you want? Either buy it or don't man. Range time for me and my co-workers are hard to come by, so I can't just sit at 100 yards firing 3 and 5 shot groups for accuracy. Its just not an efficient use of range time. Don't blast us for trying to help others in their decision making. Jeez, you can't please some people. If you want a super accurate rifle, get a Remington 700 or a Savage anyway!

Do you have stock in the company or something? You're pretty defensive for someone who is just a customer. You might be trying to justify the fact that you paid $170 for a muzzle brake?

Its only right to ask for some hard R&D data on this product if I'm going to buy it. I have to disagree with you: Shooting 100yd groups for accuracy would be efficient use of your time if in fact you're testing a rifle round that zeros at 200 yards. I wouldn't call 25yd groups "findings", unless you're shooting it from a car window. Anybody with pretty much any caliber can group at 25yds. Besides, I can shoot a minimum of 5" groups at 350yds without the brake.

If you aren't going to shoot at a greater distance than 25-50yds, you should stick to Airsoft.

Do you have stock in the company or something? You're pretty defensive for someone who is just a customer. You might be trying to justify the fact that you paid $170 for a muzzle brake?

Its only right to ask for some hard R&D data on this product if I'm going to buy it. I have to disagree with you: Shooting 100yd groups for accuracy would be efficient use of your time if in fact you're testing a rifle round that zeros at 200 yards. I wouldn't call 25yd groups "findings", unless you're shooting it from a car window. Anybody with pretty much any caliber can group at 25yds. Besides, I can shoot a minimum of 5" groups at 350yds without the brake.

If you aren't going to shoot at a greater distance than 25-50yds, you should stick to Airsoft.

Or Pistols... I would chime in with some "Hard accuracy info" but I haven't saved any of my Saiga .308 targets because I have only shot Brown Bear through my rifle. I've shot (before the SMG break) 3-4" groups at 100 yards. Nothing to get too excited about. I haven't got the chance to test 3 or 5 shot groups with the break or with any decent ammo. When I tested the break, I only fired 10 shots continuously two separate times to test follow up shots at 100 yds. Both times my 10 shot "semi-rapid-fire"groups with brown bear ammo were under 12". I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS Varmint and was zeroing the scope that day also. I shot a 1" 3 shot group at 100 yards using Hornady 168gr moly coated HPBT with the R700. I hope this soft info021.gif will cool yer jets until I get back out to the range. I recently had a Raddlock malfunction so my rifle is disassembled right now to avoid any California Assault Rifle charges010.gif.

If you can't be patient, either buy it and test it yourself and return it if your not satisfied or thread your barrel. Either way, don't come in here getting all offensive. We are trying to help out. Not everyone can afford to shoot expensive ammo for accuracy all day long.

I've made my offer. I have no dog in this hunt until I know the accuracy claims are valid.

If the offer is accepted I'll post the results in an unbiased manner.

Let's stop the bickering and get some to facts.

Can I shoot?

These aren't given at band camp:

ISU.jpg

Edited by gunnysmith

First off, this is my rifle that I use for hunting. Me and my co-workers train for cqb, so we do partner drills with our carbines and pistols. I can't say "Hold up. Before we get started let me shoot some groups for accuracy for my hunting rifle that I use for two-three months out of the year. I know we only have two hours, but I really have to do this to prove to some random guy on the internet that my muzzle brake makes the gun handle alot better." The range we use is also used by many other agencies, including the FBI, ATF, etc... I don't have any stock in the company, but I did do the review for people who don't have the means to thread the barrel correctly. It was very frustrating going to gunsmith after gunsmith trying to get someone to work on my rifle, only to be turned down and looked at weirdly time and time again. This product was a godsend, and I do recommend it for those reasons. I'm glad I paid $150 for it, and if I had a 16" .308 I would buy another one. Take your trolling-ass somewhere else with that nonsense. Airsoft?!? That's so lame...

First off, this is my rifle that I use for hunting. Me and my co-workers train for cqb, so we do partner drills with our carbines and pistols. I can't say "Hold up. Before we get started let me shoot some groups for accuracy for my hunting rifle that I use for two-three months out of the year. I know we only have two hours, but I really have to do this to prove to some random guy on the internet that my muzzle brake makes the gun handle alot better." The range we use is also used by many other agencies, including the FBI, ATF, etc... I don't have any stock in the company, but I did do the review for people who don't have the means to thread the barrel correctly. It was very frustrating going to gunsmith after gunsmith trying to get someone to work on my rifle, only to be turned down and looked at weirdly time and time again. This product was a godsend, and I do recommend it for those reasons. I'm glad I paid $150 for it, and if I had a 16" .308 I would buy another one. Take your trolling-ass somewhere else with that nonsense. Airsoft?!? That's so lame...

"Trolling-ass" nothing. After repeated attempts to get some real accuracy info about this brake, I was repeatedly ignored, so I think I've got the right to call you on it.

I hunt with my 16" Saiga .308 as well, where the mule deer are at a minimum 75-100yds away. What's "lame" is that you don't practice at realistic distances with your hunting rifle. That is the gun you kill things with, correct? Maybe you don't hunt at those distances, who knows.

All that aside, my point being that your review wasn't any way realistic or helpful to me. If you recall, I said: "Its a lost cause to try to get any hard accuracy info out of these guys," not you in particular. If the shoe fits, wear it. Your review was particularly helpful in showing the reduced recoil of the brake, so don't blow a gasket, pal.

Or Pistols... I would chime in with some "Hard accuracy info" but I haven't saved any of my Saiga .308 targets because I have only shot Brown Bear through my rifle. I've shot (before the SMG break) 3-4" groups at 100 yards. Nothing to get too excited about. I haven't got the chance to test 3 or 5 shot groups with the break or with any decent ammo. When I tested the break, I only fired 10 shots continuously two separate times to test follow up shots at 100 yds. Both times my 10 shot "semi-rapid-fire"groups with brown bear ammo were under 12". I recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS Varmint and was zeroing the scope that day also. I shot a 1" 3 shot group at 100 yards using Hornady 168gr moly coated HPBT with the R700. I hope this soft info021.gif will cool yer jets until I get back out to the range. I recently had a Raddlock malfunction so my rifle is disassembled right now to avoid any California Assault Rifle charges010.gif.

If you can't be patient, either buy it and test it yourself and return it if your not satisfied or thread your barrel. Either way, don't come in here getting all offensive. We are trying to help out. Not everyone can afford to shoot expensive ammo for accuracy all day long.

I hear ya. 3-4" at 100yds will kill something. Deer hopefully. If you think I've run anything other than Brown Bear or surplus through this gun, think again. Its an AK, not a Remington 700.

Don't be so sensitive. The reason for my "offense" is that I don't want to pay to lose accuracy. I'd much rather spend the extra money on ammo - any kind.

I hear ya. 3-4" at 100yds will kill something. Deer hopefully. If you think I've run anything other than Brown Bear or surplus through this gun, think again. Its an AK, not a Remington 700.

Don't be so sensitive. The reason for my "offense" is that I don't want to pay to lose accuracy. I'd much rather spend the extra money on ammo - any kind.

Well, unless you completely fuck up the installation, I can pretty much guarantee you won't LOSE accuracy, just felt recoil.

Edited by DrGonZo

The brake is designed specifically to increase accuracy as well as to achieve day-long comfort in shooting the more robust .308. Adding the SGM Tactical recoil pad is also part of the comfort equation. Obviously if you have a butt-stock that does not accept the SGM recoil reducing product, lots of other product is available that achieves similar results.

Flash reduction is NOT part of this products design.

Expect to achieve a noticeable increase in accuracy. (Muzzle rise is greatly reduced...duh!) A reduction in group size by ONE-HALF is to be expected. So if you've been shooting 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards, expect those groups to shrink to 1.5 to 2 inches. Do the math for your situation. Optics can make great results possible, and each shooter must do his/her part.

Here's the part of the claim I would like to assure is correct.

My offer to SGM is still open for independent testing of those claims.

Edited by gunnysmith
  • Like 1

Have you contacted SGM? I wouldn't expect them to see your posts and contact you.

Nice medals by the way000.gif

Edited by DrGonZo

My 2 cents is that the definition of "accuracy" to a high power shooter is going to be different than "accuracy" to a 3 gunner. This product looks like it was designed for the 3 gunner and their version of accuracy...meaning that your groups should shrink within the timeframe that you normally shoot your .308. I don't know for sure if this is what these guys had in mind but there certainly seems to be a disconnect between what they are offering and what customers are expecting. They really need to address that.

Regardless I still want to say thanks to the ones that have done their evaluations and posted vids. I was able to gather all the info I wanted just by watching the product in action. I think it does work as far as recoil management is concerned, but the price point isn't worth it for me.

Have you contacted SGM? I wouldn't expect them to see your posts and contact you.

Nice medals by the way000.gif

I haven't contacted them and don't intend to.

A reduction in group size by ONE-HALF is to be expected

That is SGM's accuracy claim I still have no dog in this fight.

I believe, with posted target and the ammo used, I would not benefit from such a device.

If they offer me a beta test I will publish the findings as an independent.

I will provide them with all test data and allow SGM rights to publish the findings.

Edited by gunnysmith

Look wasn't intending to start a pissing match, if one of you guys will be so kind as to post some before and after groups it would be greatly appreciated. Even after groups would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

I can try to dig through some of my old targets, but I don't think I have any pre-break targets saved. As soon as I get my magazine lock back from Raddlock (slight malfunction), I will be able to get back out to the range and get some 3 and 5 shot groups in with the break. Until then, please be patient. I expect the lock to be coming in the mail any day now.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if the shim is absolutely required for this brake?

The muzzle brake fits nice and tight on my 308 without it. When I put the shim in place it produces a gap between the bottom adaptor and the top clamp. The gap is just about the width of the shim. When I take away the shim the gap disappears.

I guess it may also be worth noting that my shim doesn't "slide" into place as the instructions suggest. I had to tap mine in with a small punch and a hammer.

I'm hesitant to test it out without the shim without knowing for sure whether or not this would be mucho bad...

This is for a 16". I was thinking, perhaps the barrel of a 22" is a little smaller than a 16" at the point where you bolt it on. If the barrel was smaller diameter, I could see needing the shim.

Edited by chrisAlaska

Can anyone confirm if the shim is absolutely required for this brake?

The muzzle brake fits nice and tight on my 308 without it. When I put the shim in place it produces a gap between the bottom adaptor and the top clamp. The gap is just about the width of the shim. When I take away the shim the gap disappears.

I guess it may also be worth noting that my shim doesn't "slide" into place as the instructions suggest. I had to tap mine in with a small punch and a hammer.

I'm hesitant to test it out without the shim without knowing for sure whether or not this would be mucho bad...

I'm not sure how it will function without it, but mine needed a small amount of coaxing with a punch and hammer as well, and by "small amount" I mean I had to whack the shit out of it until it was completely in place. Can't complain though. It cuts recoil drastically which in turn increases accuracy on follow up shots. Its not some magic piece of metal that will allow you shoot dimes at 1000 yards, but it does help with accuracy. I love mine. Maybe one day when I can get my barrel threaded I'll get something else, but this does a mighty fine job as is. The ONLY negative thing I have to say about it is that its big. But that doesn't have any effect whatsoever on function.

Thanks a bunch for the speedy reply.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that had to persuade the shim :eek:

I took the brake off and when I put it back on with the shim, it set better than the first time. Not sure what was wrong the first time I put it on, but it seems to be fitting better the second time around.

Thanks again.

I tested out the bolt-on brake today, and it definitely does reduce felt recoil, which is why I bought it.

All the discussion about the accuracy made me wonder, so I did a couple of tests. Here are my results.

This is the target I was using when I shot 8 rounds with the muzzle brake on. I shot this target first.

post-23559-12742291480812_thumb.jpg

Then I took the brake off and shot another 8 rounds.

post-23559-1274229177569_thumb.jpg

Here's the el cheapo ammo I was using (at least it was the cheapest they had on the shelf today, $19).

post-23559-12742312317462_thumb.jpg

Clearly I'm not an expert marksman. I was happy to hit the target at 100 yards, I don't have a scope yet. Out of the first 16 rounds I fired for the day at 100 yards (with the brake on and not for testing purposes) only 1 hit paper. So I scooted up to around 70 yards and got comfortable hitting the target. After I got comfortable I backed up to 100 yards and ran the test. There was a fair breeze, so that may also have impacted where bullets were hitting, but my impression is that the brake really didn't affect my accuracy at all. But again, I didn't buy it to help my accuracy, I bought it because I really don't like to feel recoil... at all.

Here's the gun without the brake.

post-23559-12742295463368_thumb.jpg

Here it is with the brake (I also used the grip pod for testing with and without the brake).

post-23559-1274230652557_thumb.jpg

So, would I buy it again? Yep. Of course, if I hadn't spent so much maybe I could afford to have a scope :dollar:

I see someone has one for sale here. Maybe I should buy it from him. He doesn't have the instructions though

so I would have to get them from somewhere. Wants $105.00 for it shipped. Any thoughts from you guys who already

have one?

I see someone has one for sale here. Maybe I should buy it from him. He doesn't have the instructions though

so I would have to get them from somewhere. Wants $105.00 for it shipped. Any thoughts from you guys who already

have one?

Yeah, I wish I would have waited a few weeks to get mine because I would have bought that one010.gif. You probably won't need instructions. It just slides over the muzzle/FSB and you slide in the shim and bolt it down, then make sure the break is on straight with the bore guide. I put a drop of Guntite on each screw and tightened them as much as I could without stripping the bolts. It recommended to re-tighten after 10, then 50 rounds (I think) I brought the supplied wrench to the range but didn't need it.

have one?

If you want to feel less recoil and don't mind the extra weight on the front, I say buy it. If you don't like it you can most likely find a buyer.

I sent a money order off last night. We'll see how it goes. It seems promising to me.

Let me know if you need the instructions. It's a small one page manual, with 5 steps involved. The only question I had with my install was how to slide the shim in. It didn't slide at all, as noted earlier, I had to hammer it in to place. I didn't have to use a lot of force, but it definitely required a hammer and a small punch.

• 8 months later...

any further updates on how well this part works? seems to me there has been plenty of time for people to evaluate it further. i might be interested in it if it really does cut felt recoil and improve accuracy at all price be damned. i am getting older and the arthritis is not very forgiving to shooting.