SGM 308 bolt on muzzle brake now available $169.95

any further updates on how well this part works? seems to me there has been plenty of time for people to evaluate it further. i might be interested in it if it really does cut felt recoil and improve accuracy at all price be damned. i am getting older and the arthritis is not very forgiving to shooting.

It looks like opinion is somewhat evenly and strongly divided. I recommend a nice buttstock pad just to be on the safe and less expensive side.

my tapco t6 stock has a rubber buttpad. should be better than the factory hard plastic one. i still want less felt recoil.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gee...thanks so much for your helpful nature as well as your tremendous insight on inflation as relates to how much less we all use to spend on guns & ammo.   Here are the details on this custom

$169.95.   Two years ago you could buy an S223 for just over $200.   Seeing as you're beating the shit out of your gun anyway, why not just remove the front sight post and thread the barrel.

So you fully admit to being a troll? Wow.   But your also a know-it-all as well? I'll just PM all my observations and notes to you for editing prior to posting.   Is there an ignore feature on

Posted Images

thanks and grats on the new arrival. post some pics in the pic thread when you get a chance.

Appreciate that. Going to get some range time today. Probably going to order a Uinta 3 pack too. Not too sure about posting pics until I can dress her up a bit first.

You probably mentioned it before, but what barrel length did you get? Mine's the 21+ so is less apt to need a brake than the 16, I would think. Of course I've been wrong before a time or two.

i got the 22" version. still not converted it.waiting on the tapco handguard to shoot at the range.

saigaak001.jpg

• Like 1

got the brake yesterday. it is fairly heavy and very well made.i won't install it until after i test fire the 308 at the range to make sure it isn't defective. after that i will do the brake and maybe even do the conversion since i bought and recieved the parts the other day too.thanks css.you guys rock.

• 1 year later...

SGM 308 bolt on muzzle brake

When I decided to go from wood to aluminum clothes on my 16” S308, I purchased the SGM break. Looked at this thread and did some other searches and it seemed like the way to go without threading the barrel.

The break is easy to install with the supplied instructions. Also comes with a “Go” “No Go” gage for alignment.

One item to note is this is a heavy break. Weighing in at over 1LB. I don’t have a scale, so I can’t tell you exactly down to the ounce. So if you do not like a heavy rifle, this is not for you. On the 16” it did not affect the balance to much, however please note there was an ACE hammer and folding mechanism on the other end.

At the range, the rifle performed well. Almost no recoil, kind of like shooting a .22LR. Accuracy was not affected in my experience. I sent 200 rounds down 100 yards at a 2’ x 4’ target. Getting nice 2 to 3” groupings (No I am not an expert marksman).

The only issue at the range was the muzzle blast. Now a stock 16” S308 will have a fireball from the muzzle like few other rifles. With the SGM break, the fireball is redirected into a mustache of flame and blast wave.

So the people who came in and setup right next to me, they had a hard time keeping their stuff on the table. Although the last twenty rounds sent down range changed the looks from anger to interest as I folded the stock and shot with just my hands.

I recently removed the SGM break and threaded my barrel for a M60 flash hider. Reason for doing this is the SGM just redirects the flash, does not really hide it. I still have to get a night shot of the M60 and then I will post a video of the stock flash, SGM flash and the M60 flash.

Pros of the SGM

Easy to install, comes with everything you need (Except Loctite)

Reduces recoil, highly affective

Cons of the SGM

Weight, again if you do not like a heavy rifle this is not for you

Price, for the price you can almost get all of the tooling necessary to thread your barrel

Muzzle flash, the redirected muzzle flash makes for interesting range trips. Also the sound wave seems to be a little louder from the shooters perspective

Now bigboi23847 did a great video in Feb 2010 post #81 in this thread. You can see he can walk down the target and is getting hardly any muzzle rise. DrGonZo did one from the range, post #90. chrisAlaska in post #113 showed accuracy. These posts are what sold me in getting this in the first place.

So bottom line is the break does reduce recoil, is easy to install. Makes the weapon heavier and is costly. I will not say that it improves accuracy from a bench rested weapon (I am not a marksman). From a moving position it will improve accuracy, as the recoil reduction aids in reacquiring the target on follow up shots. The break does allow for firing from the hip with stock folded.

So that’s my review, as with the history of this thread. Bash away B’s.

Ok so got the video done, one shot each stock, SGM and then M60, enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBdqJ01U5KE

Edited by Dad2142Dad

I've read a few posts in this line up of subject material - I reside in Florida also, and as long as I've been buying AK's here I've seen threaded barrels on AK's and a few other rifles, and in fact own several. I saw one post from 2009 that mentioned the rifle would become an assault rifle with a threaded barrel. Have never heard of that one from any one, and I am around a lot of AK buyers and builders, a fair amount, and have been for well over a decade. When I am able to, I will be threading my own if I take a notion to. Interesting subject however - that is the SGM brake and fitment.

Edited by Hamerforged

22LR range recoil huh... that is better than a AK74 mb.

Can always grow stronger...

Thanks for the review seems the heavier the brake the better the job is done just a matter of physics in the end.

Sounds like a decent alternative when threading the bbl isnt first choice.

Ok tested it out today.

Using 150g FMJ 45g Varget 2.80 OAL, shot 110 rounds 25m to 100m.

Weather calm high humidity 70F.

Damn if this thing don't work better than expectations.

Went on easy and by the numbers.

Yes the accuracy seems to have improved slightly in slow fire more in rapid as would be expected.

Recoil is a bit less than an unbraked x39 close to 223, very little rise.

Does raise a bit of a dust cloud prone so expect flash and noise to the sides is increased.

Weight? Grow Stronger.

Excellent solution if threading is not desired.

Best money I have spent in a very long time.

• Like 1

I probly just missed it here but my nib saiga IZ 137 in .308's FSB is dead on the nats nuts to the front of the barrel. absolutle zero sticking out.

How would this fit if 3/16" barrel is required?

You must know there is none.

I have been looking for a nice muzzle recoil flash hider but none are made for just saiga .308

If anyone has this model rifle and has succeeded at mounting this" as is "please show a video.

I like the look ALOT!

very aggressive- heavy enough to keep muzzle flip controlable when dumping a mag.

I probly just missed it here but my nib saiga IZ 137 in .308's FSB is dead on the nats nuts to the front of the barrel. absolutle zero sticking out.

How would this fit if 3/16" barrel is required?

You must know there is none.

I have been looking for a nice muzzle recoil flash hider but none are made for just saiga .308

If anyone has this model rifle and has succeeded at mounting this" as is "please show a video.

I like the look ALOT!

very aggressive- heavy enough to keep muzzle flip controlable when dumping a mag.

Mine was the same way. What I did was knock the pins out of the front sight, took my homemade aluminum punch and hammer and knocked it back to the step or point where the bbl gets slightly thicker. This gives you the 3/16" of muzzle you need. Then I reamed the holes out with a 7/32 cobalt bit in hand drill first. Then I finished reamed the holes with a 1/8" bit since I could not find a 3mm bit. I then used 1/8" roll pins I bought from Brownells. After that, just follow the instructions from SGM.

Ok tested it out today.

Using 150g FMJ 45g Varget 2.80 OAL, shot 110 rounds 25m to 100m.

Weather calm high humidity 70F.

Damn if this thing don't work better than expectations.

Went on easy and by the numbers.

Yes the accuracy seems to have improved slightly in slow fire more in rapid as would be expected.

Recoil is a bit less than an unbraked x39 close to 223, very little rise.

Does raise a bit of a dust cloud prone so expect flash and noise to the sides is increased.

Weight? Grow Stronger.

Excellent solution if threading is not desired.

Best money I have spent in a very long time.

Glad you like it Rhoades! My first satisfied customer! The brake is a great asset if you don't mind the extra weight up front.

• Like 1

Saiga 545 said: Mine was the same way. What I did was knock the pins out of the front sight, took my homemade aluminum punch and hammer and knocked it back to the step or point where the bbl gets slightly thicker. This gives you the 3/16" of muzzle you need. Then I reamed the holes out with a 7/32 cobalt bit in hand drill first. Then I finished reamed the holes with a 1/8" bit since I could not find a 3mm bit. I then used 1/8" roll pins I bought from Brownells. After that, just follow the instructions from SGM.

Well done man sounds like sumpin i can do taking my time. That would allow a whole new option set to choose from!

Thanx Brobiggrin.png