Low Profile Scope Mount

Im rather new here too, but welcome. I am also looking for a scope mount(quick release style) so i cannot help you in that department. But i can say...tasco is pretty terrible, stay away from those IMO everyone i have had was a waste of money and inaccurate anda bitch to sight in. just my 1cent on tasco..they suck. there is a big diff in cheap and terrible

I can appreciate that. I didn't have alot of money to spend on a scope. The only reason I bought it was because of the reviews on cabela's. 76 people had bought one and had alot of good things to say about it. I gues time will tell. Today was the first day that I used the scope. Because it is mounted so high I could not get the scope to 0.

You have two options for low profile (co-witness capable) mounts for the platform:

Ultimak

6nyps0.jpg

Or Kalinka

2gsibkp.jpg

Not sure ether will help with your quick release.

The Comm block stuff is not really "quick" when using the side rail stuff...

Edited by bigsal
  • Like 2

I would have to say, that is by far.....the worst place for a .....scope....light mount combo ever. I just wonder how he uses that light at all.

Actually the Ultimak/aimpoint combo is usually everyones favorite. It is preferred by most of the instructors who run classes on the platform.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/images/promagmount.jpg

This is the link to the scope mount that i bought. Not sure how to copy and paste the picture. I am wanting to use this gun to hunt deer and coyote. I am using a tasco 3x9x40 scope on it. Just wondering if there is anything out there in a side mount low profile scope mount. Would like it to sit right on top of the dusk cover. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the link to the scope mount that i bought. Not sure how to copy and paste the picture. I am wanting to use this gun to hunt deer and coyote. I am using a tasco 3x9x40 scope on it. Just wondering if there is anything out there in a side mount low profile scope mount. Would like it to sit right on top of the dusk cover. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah that mount is not low profile. Ive owned ones like that. The Kalinka unit is the only side bracket mount that can do co-witness.

A scope for coyote and deer? You need to look into a low light scope type, your not gonna want anythign "cheap" not techincally expensive. but deff dont get a 40dollar scope. I dont use one tbh for dusk/night hunting. It is coyote after all. But i have never really been coyote hunting pretty much just hog in low light and i never used a scope other than on my sks. And i never really used the scope just looked threw the irons under the scop.

Look i dont know much about "low profile scopes" But for what it sounds like ur talking about. Ive never needed one. For any night animals U shouldnt be shooting more than 50 yards or so unless you have some badass light and scope with lighting, bait better. For deer, if you want to shoot at over 100, then hey maybe, but still just get a better quality. I dont shoot more than 100 just because of the area i hunt, and situations i put myself in. My sks has a scope, i use it off and on, But most the time under 100 i use irons and do just fine.

and that light still looks retarded bigsal, really works well in view of that scope i bet.

Look i dont know much about "low profile scopes" But for what it sounds like ur talking about. Ive never needed one. For any night animals U shouldnt be shooting more than 50 yards or so unless you have some badass light and scope with lighting, bait better. For deer, if you want to shoot at over 100, then hey maybe, but still just get a better quality. I dont shoot more than 100 just because of the area i hunt, and situations i put myself in. My sks has a scope, i use it off and on, But most the time under 100 i use irons and do just fine.

and that light still looks retarded bigsal, really works well in view of that scope i bet.

I think the light is mounted off to the right of the scope my man, in which case, I don't really see the problem with that mount. Thought?

yeah that mount is not low profile. Ive owned ones like that. The Kalinka unit is the only side bracket mount that can do co-witness.

Man, I wish I knew about the Kalinka before I went out and bought the UTG side mount.

This is the one I use on my sagia,Its a leepers top mount it seams to work for me.It only cost 20 bucks.the target was 50 yards away useing wolf 122 fmj.the first shots were after i took it off,the second was after I ajusted it.almost single holes.

post-22158-12619847330073_thumb.jpg

post-22158-12619847714427_thumb.jpg

I think the light is mounted off to the right of the scope my man, in which case, I don't really see the problem with that mount. Thought?

ya now thta i look at it, it could be mounted to the side but still at teh same time i dont know how you would operate that light and the gun effectively just very bad position. imo

I dunno that guy prolly knows alot more than me...or maybe not and that pic just got dug up from the internet trashcan. But have severeal surefire lights. And i know how they operate. I just dotn see that working well, not to mention it just looks like a monkey fucking a football.

Edited by chevyman097

ya now thta i look at it, it could be mounted to the side but still at teh same time i dont know how you would operate that light and the gun effectively just very bad position. imo

I dunno that guy prolly knows alot more than me...or maybe not and that pic just got dug up from the internet trashcan. But have severeal surefire lights. And i know how they operate. I just dotn see that working well, not to mention it just looks like a monkey fucking a football.

I know the forum practices freedom on speech and allows foul language, but for the sake and respect of some members could you please tone it down? Not all of us and our kids want to read this stuff. I'm sure you have much to contribute to the forum, but being nasty really doesn't do that.

• Like 1

Not a problem, im not one that usually just throws profanity around like its the thing to use. In this case i did slip 1 or 2 allthough very light to what ive seen around the forums.

But all me and bigsals dissagreements aside(lol)

Nrw for deer i think you will see improvement with a littel better scope. But ive never used a leapers, like i said ive had terrible luckj with tasco and as they claim to be quality have allways been terrible. But i think that scope mount is perfect for what you want.

All appologize I did use mfer i did not see that one, i usually dont use that one018.gif .

But really i just still dont see how that dude would effectively use that light while operating the gun. Unless it had a one push click on light. But the one that is on it is not that type.

Edited by chevyman097
  • Like 1

Just wanted to chime in here: First and foremost, you won't find any cheap scopes that will hold Zero on a 7.62x39. They simply cannot hold up to the shock of recoil. If you aren't willing to spend at least $200 on a new scope, save your money for a while....nearly everyone getting into shooting makes this mistake of buying cheap glass....

Secondly, going cheap on a mount will just make your problems worse. Forget about dust-cover mounts. Forget about Ultimaks if you do rapid fire,(you might put your $$$ optic on a hot gas-tube, but I wouldn't) Forget about side-mounts from US companies. Most Russian-made side-mounts will hold tight but they often put the lenses too high or too far back for a good cheek-weld or proper, repeatable eye-relief.

Check out the Teax Weapons System rail at www.solartactical.com - they are the only option that solves the problems noted above. And, no, I don't work for them.

Once again: DON'T Go CHEAP on optics! You'll waste your money. Chinese-made scopes/mounts are junk and have no place on a real rifle.

Where can one find the Kalinka mount?

RE: red dots and mounting....

The ultimak with micro aimpoint is the #1 proven setup for serious AK usage.

Its virtually the only setup that allows for co-witness and yes it handles the heat that others cant

Nothing wrong with having a personal liking for some other scope but anyone trashing the ultimak/aimpoint combo just doesnt know what they are talking about.

HarvKY

• Like 1

I just ordered the low side mount from Carolina shooters supply ($44, basically a cheaper copy of the $119 kvar mount), I put an eotech on it and zeroed it and then repeatally took it off and put it back on like 5+ times and it returned to zero no problems.

It wont cowitness, but the mount has has a quick disconnect so I can pull off the optic in the event it fails. I had bp-02 from Kalinka and I have to say I like the quality and the finish of the low mount from Greg at Carolina better. Hard to explain but the way it is designed it feels more ridged and it's lighter.

To see it on my rifle goto (http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=13311&st=450)

I know the forum practices freedom on speech and allows foul language, but for the sake and respect of some members could you please tone it down? Not all of us and our kids want to read this stuff. I'm sure you have much to contribute to the forum, but being nasty really doesn't do that.

hey just wonderin? have you contributed yet?

Just wanted to chime in here: First and foremost, you won't find any cheap scopes that will hold Zero on a 7.62x39. They simply cannot hold up to the shock of recoil. If you aren't willing to spend at least $200 on a new scope, save your money for a while....nearly everyone getting into shooting makes this mistake of buying cheap glass....

Secondly, going cheap on a mount will just make your problems worse. Forget about dust-cover mounts. Forget about Ultimaks if you do rapid fire,(you might put your $$$ optic on a hot gas-tube, but I wouldn't) Forget about side-mounts from US companies. Most Russian-made side-mounts will hold tight but they often put the lenses too high or too far back for a good cheek-weld or proper, repeatable eye-relief.

Check out the Teax Weapons System rail at www.solartactical.com - they are the only option that solves the problems noted above. And, no, I don't work for them.

Once again: DON'T Go CHEAP on optics! You'll waste your money. Chinese-made scopes/mounts are junk and have no place on a real rifle.

Off hand at 50yds.first group was after i took it off.second group was when i moved it a click.its not the gun or scope its your skill.this with a factory triger.never had a problem with that mount.

post-22158-12620757037587_thumb.jpg

hey just wonderin? have you contributed yet?

Thanks for toning it down. I contribute when I know what I am talking about. I just bought my first AK Saiga (SGL21) and know nothing about mounting a scope on an AK. I just never really saw the need for a scope on it. If you need help on scoping out a Mosin, let me know.

I just think if you make your way around these forums you will see alot worse things than anything ive said lol(but hey im willing to tone it down, ignore my smart alec remarks thats just me). so welcome and GLwink.gif

Oh and if your kids are very young and you dont want them reading those kind of things, Just IMO, i wouldnt advise letting them read the forums. Some of the topics can get kinda nasty. Not to mention signatures and avatars lol

Edited by chevyman097

Bigsal can have a sharp tongue and a tough attitude sometimes, and I've definitely gotten into it a little with him a couple of times (not regarding Saiga knowledge specifically), but he is by far one of the most knowledgeable people on this forum. If you are going to challenge his recommendations, proceed with caution ;).

As for the mount option of the Surefire, it does seem that having the light mounted on the right could have its merits. It would allow you to hold the rifle between shoulder and support hand, and come up with your right thumb to activate the light, rather than trying to balance the rifle between right hand and shoulder and using your support hand to activate, which would take you off target as the muzzle drops... I'd like to hear the arguments pro/con from some experienced shooters. I would vote for a right handed shooter bringing up right hand to activate the light, and not let the muzzle drop off target at all.