I've fired open bore shotguns for awhile and I'm getting interested in accuracy/possibly a match with my saiga12. I know less than nothing about chokes and their intended use/ranges. I'm looking at the Polychoke based on the amount of positive feedabck in ragrds to its ease of use and price.

So the question I have for the vets on here is simple but broad....what choke setting is used for what size Buck/Bird shot and what range is each choke setting designed for? I understand that each weapon reacts differently, I'm just looking for some general guidelines before hitting the range with accuracy in mind.

Thanks

Eric

• 1 month later...

I've fired open bore shotguns for awhile and I'm getting interested in accuracy/possibly a match with my saiga12. I know less than nothing about chokes and their intended use/ranges. I'm looking at the Polychoke based on the amount of positive feedabck in ragrds to its ease of use and price.

So the question I have for the vets on here is simple but broad....what choke setting is used for what size Buck/Bird shot and what range is each choke setting designed for? I understand that each weapon reacts differently, I'm just looking for some general guidelines before hitting the range with accuracy in mind.

Thanks

Eric

Since no one has answered your question yet, I'll give it a try. I'm no expert, but I have 4 years of competition experience under my belt.

I have not used the Polychoke and it seems like a good idea, but I have heard that POI of slugs will change if you change settings on the choke. This may or may not be important to you.

I use the standard Russian chokes on my Saiga and I have Full, Modified and cylinder. I almost always use Mod and have never had a problem with steel falling (so far). There are 2 ways to adjust your pattern, first is to choose different loads for a given challenge and the second it to change choke. The problem with changing choke is that you may have long steel, close clays and slugs on the same stage. I would set my choke for the slugs (mod) and then use heavier loads (#6 high brass) for the long steel and spreader loads for the close clays. Most places I have shot don't allow larger shot than #6, but I have seen a few that you can use up to #4.

In general I use #7.5 shot because it is a good all around load and you can buy it pretty cheap. Heavier loads and bigger shot usually cost more but it is good to have a variety available when you go to a match. Buy some different stuff and go to the range with some big paper targets or just butcher paper. Measure off 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 yards and see how your loads come out in both group size and how your POI matches with your POA with all of your chokes. I usually adjust my sights for 100 yards with slugs and then see how that translates to the other ranges with shot.

Make sure to get some practice with flying clays, they will get thrown in at alot of matches. All of these things will add to your confidence so when it's your turn you'll be ready.

Good luck and see you on the range!

Doug