So, I have been told by my dad that he was thinking about moving to Mexico. My stepdad is also thinking about leaving the country but to Panama. These two are well off people and at their retirement age. This absoultey floors me (WTF). I would never have thought that they would have even contemplated moving out of the States but they have. All this stems on the current state that this country is in. My first two questions to them were, " What about saftey and medical", Their reply was, " We have it covered". My dad's wife is a doctor so I don't worry about him as much. My stepdad said, " there are lots of American doctors there and they are taken care of". Even though I am concerned about there well being, I know that they can take care of themselves but the fear factor and the great unknown still lumes. Do you guys know of anyone who is doing this? Where would you go if you could?

Sure, if you have sufficient resources you can live nearly anywhere you like.

Note that even those charged to defend us generally swear an oath to defend the Constitution of the US, not the US itself. In a major SHTF situation, one solution might be to pack up the Founding Fathers' principles and re-establish a viable nation elsewhere.

If you know Spanish, Portuguese or both, there is no shortage of places for you to bail out to. The US would have to get far, far worse though until I would ever consider bugging out. Plus I am still working on my Spanish. :) Brazil or Uruguay are great places to live by South American standards, but they are a far cry from Anywhere, USA. Having seen many other major population centers across the globe, I can say with certainty that the US is still among the greatest nations to live in by far, and I wouldn't live anywhere else if I had the choice right now.

Although Australia is tempting...the ladies of Fremantle and Perth are smokin', and that accent is sexy as hell. :wub:

Many of the countries mentioned in this thread have stricter gun laws than the U.S.

I agree that while I am not happy with the direction the Congress and Executive Branch want to bring us, it's pretty fucking awesome to be an American.

Once you see what poverty is like in other countries, you will finally understand how good the "poor" have it here!

• Like 1

BD is right on the mark. Even as screwed up as things are, here is still a shit load better than anywhere else. There are places that can be made liveble, but not the same. And as an American, you will ALWAYS be a potential target. I have heard of relatively "safe" communities south of the border, the further south the better. But they tend to have their own security, healthcare, etc. And are still subject to governmental shifts.

All I can say is good luck and stay in touch.

Mikel

Truth is that there is a popular trend for baby boomers to move out of the us. Let's face it it is getting $$$$. A very popular place to go is Costa Rica. Many other countries have socialized medicine, land is cheap as are most other living expenses. I know several people that moved there. The only hassle they have is they have to come back to the US so they can get their visas renewed.

I love my country, but it really is completely fubar. I applied for citizenship to Canada about a year ago but got turned down. Apparently you actually need to bring something to the table economically to get into Canada. (College education, trade training.) Oh well, I guess I'll be sticking around the States for a while. Maybe fubar, but it's what I've got.

Apparently you actually need to bring something to the table economically to get into Canada. (College education, trade training.)

Australia is the same way. They actually have a list of degrees, trades and skills they want on one of their gov't websites. I'll bet many other developed countries are like that too.

Mexico?!? Are there even any "good" places to live in Mexico?

Señor Frog's is lots of fun, but I wouldn't want to live there ;)

For now, I'm very happy living in the US and have no plans to jump ship. Lots of the rest of the world can be pretty nice, though.

From Canada down to Brazil and Chile, I think there's only three or four smaller Latin American countries I've not been in for some time(s) or gone through. No damn way I'd ever think about moving to anyplace south of the U.S. I know people move south for supposed financial reasons, retirement, etc. I try to not be too judgmental, but here I have to say to move south is just stupid. IMHO. YMMV.

I guess I just don't have a personal need or desire to leave the US, for good. Then again, living in NY is kind of like not living in the US. When my girl and I went to SC for a week vacation, we got off the plane at the MB Airport and I said to her; "Welcome to America!".

For some vacation? Hell yeah. There's plenty of places outside the US that I want to visit.

• Like 1