saiga .308 Safety Post conversion

I just noticed today that my saiga .308 after the conversion doesn't have a working safety anymore... I never use the safety on an AK, so it doesn't really affect me. (AK safety is a joke) After looking closely at the .308 Safety, I noticed that the tab that stops the trigger has been ground off. This is most likely a standard practice from to factory to fit the wonky trigger they use in the .308's.

Seems pretty stupid to me... Now I have to get a new safety just to make my mind at ease.

This is a common problem right?

I think it would be nice if someone made a saiga .308 primer noting the differences between a .308 conversion and a standard conversion. (AKA Sheik's conversion)

I have the same problem, but haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. I did the conversion in January. Another member had the same problem and built up the safety with JB Weld and reported it works fine now. I'll probably end up doing the same thing.

That JB Welder would be me. The saftey not working is a semi-common problem, hit or miss like having a precut pg nut hole. I also do have a thread on this forum listing the differences between the .308 and other Saiga conversions (if you compare them) and it has pictures too!

Well mine doesn't work either but it gives you a very false sense of security. With the safety engaged, I can pull the trigger slightly rearward and it sticks in this rearward position but the hammer does not fall. As soon as I push the safety to the fire position, the hammar is released.

I gotta do the JB fix as I am real uncomfortable with the false sense of security issue.

Hmmm, JB weld on the safty?? To make mine work with the G2 trigger I put in my .410 I just completed I did what was done to the other conversions had paid to have converted. Just notch the part that stops the trigger when the safty is engaged, but allows the hammer to function correctly and allows the safty to be removed as a standard AK works. It took me about 15-20 minutes with a dremel and file.

The circled part of the safety is what you're talking about building up with JBweld...right?

Here's a pic, and my nearly complete .410 conversion.

post-1486-1111904595_thumb.jpg

Edited by AK-treO8

No the part that stops the trigger is what was ground down from the factory to work with the .308 trigger design in my gun. If you compare the stock .308 trigger to other Saiga triggers you can see that the two bars in the rear sit up a tiny bit higher. I compared the .308 safety to the one on my 7.62x39 and it is noticeably and crudely ground down.

That JB Welder would be me. The saftey not working is a semi-common problem, hit or miss like having a precut pg nut hole. I also do have a thread on this forum listing the differences between the .308 and other Saiga conversions (if you compare them) and it has pictures too!

That's what I thought... Well, I guess the easiest thing would be to buy a new safety from kvar/blackjack/gunshow...

Rook, if you have a conversion thread, you should get the moderator to make a sticky or something.

I just noticed today that my saiga .308 after the conversion doesn't have a working safety anymore...  I never use the safety on an AK, so it doesn't really affect me. (AK safety is a joke)  After looking closely at the .308 Safety,  I noticed that the tab that stops the trigger has been ground off.  This is most likely a standard practice from to factory to fit the wonky trigger they use in the .308's. 

Seems pretty stupid to me...  Now I have to get a new safety just to make my mind at ease.

This is a common problem right?

I think it would be nice if someone made a saiga .308 primer noting the differences between a .308 conversion and a standard conversion. (AKA Sheik's conversion)

On all of my conversions, I have used athe FCG bought from Tapco. The safetys have never been a problem {fitting the bolt holdbacks have been a pain in the ass, but not the safety, Just get a new safety. I once used one off a SAR-1 and it works fine. You have to remember that the AK is a crude wepon made to spray bullets and to be repaired with ease in the field. There is a lot of room for play. Just do what you have to do to make it work and make it safe.

Swordfish