hunting in PA with converted saiga

for deer hunting its legal to use a semi auto shotgun in the counties surrounding philly, a saiga is just that, what about after its converted? obviously running around with a 10 rnd mag or drum would attract attention,and would be "unsporting" of me but how bout a 5 rnd mag. I have used my m1 super 90 and I sometimes use my s+w m3000 with folding stock, both are ok to use according to the rulebook. for small game semi auto shotgun is allowed statewide as long as the capacity is no more than 3 rnds. (buy a 2 rnd mag). Pennsylvania has some weird rules, no sunday hunting, no semi auto rifles, semi shotguns are ok for smallgame statewide, autoloading shotguns are ok for big game (deer) but only in special regulation areas (shotgun only areas) I can use my super 90 for deer in bucks county (near phila) but have to use a manually op shotgun outside spec reg zones. I would be nice to bag a buck with the saiga if possible. I have read the PA game commisions handbook and it seems I can use it but im not 100%. any help or even you opinion on this would be great.

Someone posted a thread on using a peice of 1"x2" to make your 5rnd mag 2rnd only. Here in Ohio, you can only have 3rnds in gun so "plugging" the 5rnd mag is best least expensive option.

Otherwise, like JayBirD says, get with your Fish and Game guys for the real scoop on things. Internet info/opinion is hit and miss depending on souces. And we all know it's far better to hit than to miss.

Good luck and have fun,

Mikel

Edited by BpS12

I live in Pa just recently bought a Saiga 12, the Pa Game Commision told me it's legal to hunt deer in the special regulation areas.( which I live in near Pittsburgh) Also, there is no limitation on the size of the clip when hunting for deer but small game you are only allowed 1 in the chamber and 2 in the clip. I bought the 2 round clip from Saiga 12.

B-man, I can just imagine you out in the pitt burbs sittin on a rock waitin for bambi......20 rnd drum on your saiga, thermos full of hot coffee waitin for the sun to come up lol. Im gonna pick up a couple 2 rounders just for giggles, pretty sure im good to go lookin at those links havok, thanks for that. friday im in the woods early, I know the local game warden and run into him regularly so i will pick his brain on the matter. Ive done private hunts on hunt a pet ranches before with aks ars a 416 rigby i borrowed ect, so if all fails I can use it there come spring. pork chops anyone?

• 5 months later...

I live in Pa just recently bought a Saiga 12, the Pa Game Commision told me it's legal to hunt deer in the special regulation areas.( which I live in near Pittsburgh) Also, there is no limitation on the size of the clip when hunting for deer but small game you are only allowed 1 in the chamber and 2 in the clip. I bought the 2 round clip from Saiga 12.

Did you ever find out? I'm in Brackenridge and would love to use mine this year!

"I live in Pa just recently bought a Saiga 12, the Pa Game Commision told me it's legal to hunt deer in the special regulation areas.( which I live in near Pittsburgh) Also, there is no limitation on the size of the clip magazine when hunting for deer but small game you are only allowed 1 in the chamber and 2 in the clip magazine. I bought the 2 round clip magazine from Saiga 12."

There you go. :smoke:

"I live in Pa just recently bought a Saiga 12, the Pa Game Commision told me it's legal to hunt deer in the special regulation areas.( which I live in near Pittsburgh) Also, there is no limitation on the size of the clip magazine when hunting for deer but small game you are only allowed 1 in the chamber and 2 in the clip magazine. I bought the 2 round clip magazine from Saiga 12."

There you go. :smoke:

Unlimited for deer? Cool....

Should have my drum anyday....

That doesn't sound right to me. I've been hunting here since I was a kid and I've always been told no more than 2 in the mag, 1 in the chamber. Also no semi-auto rifle hunting. I don't know for sure, but I've never tested the waters. Saiga with a 2 round mag should be fine for everything but big game. I could be wrong.

That doesn't sound right to me. I've been hunting here since I was a kid and I've always been told no more than 2 in the mag, 1 in the chamber. Also no semi-auto rifle hunting. I don't know for sure, but I've never tested the waters. Saiga with a 2 round mag should be fine for everything but big game. I could be wrong.

I thought only semi-auto for duck....

^_^

While reading this thread I envisioned some dude screaming & chasing a bunch of terrified deer while going all rambo on 'em with an MD-20 & the word "UNSPORTING" (in text) flashed at the top of that picture in my mind... I laughed myself to tears. ^_^

Thanks.

P.

Edited by Paulyski

^_^

While reading this thread I envisioned some dude screaming & chasing a bunch of terrified deer while going all rambo on 'em with an MD-20 & the word "UNSPORTING" (in text) flashed at the top of that picture in my mind... I laughed myself to tears. ^_^

Thanks.

P.

he prob looked alot like me.....hey....it may have been me.....

Also no semi-auto rifle hunting

You are right, as far as I know you can't hunt with a semi rifle in PA, but this is a shotgun.

True for the rifle, semi shotgun for turkey, small game and waterfoul...all plugged to 3 rounds.

• 4 months later...

SPECIAL REGULATION AREA is shot gun only or muzzleloader...no rifles, checked , double checked and checked again with the warden. semi shotgun good to go for deer season in special reg. area outside philly (bucks, montgomery,and chester counties... For small game, from dove to goose ect and any overlap it must be total of three capacity (I bought a 2 rnd. mag), for firearm deer season capacity is not limited.generally most pump and semi shotguns dont hold more than five .. Im gonna stick with the 2 or 5 rounder. I think a drum would attract unwanted attention and its always a one shot deal with slugs anyway. the rest of the state is semi shotgun for anything not big game but must be plugged to 3 total. big game you cannot use a semi anything, manually op. rifle (used to be .24 cal centerfire or better) manually op. shotgun w slug only. man. op. pistol (with sportsmans permit) and muzzleloaders. the rules are tricky and I always lean on the safe side when in doubt.

SPECIAL REGULATION AREA is shot gun only or muzzleloader...no rifles, checked , double checked and checked again with the warden. semi shotgun good to go for deer season in special reg. area outside philly (bucks, montgomery,and chester counties... For small game, from dove to goose ect and any overlap it must be total of three capacity (I bought a 2 rnd. mag), for firearm deer season capacity is not limited.generally most pump and semi shotguns dont hold more than five .. Im gonna stick with the 2 or 5 rounder. I think a drum would attract unwanted attention and its always a one shot deal with slugs anyway. the rest of the state is semi shotgun for anything not big game but must be plugged to 3 total. big game you cannot use a semi anything, manually op. rifle (used to be .24 cal centerfire or better) manually op. shotgun w slug only. man. op. pistol (with sportsmans permit) and muzzleloaders. the rules are tricky and I always lean on the safe side when in doubt.

Zone 2B is also good to go for Saiga 12 deer slaughtering with 2round mag (Cobra is making me one and an adapter for rifled choke to use Winchester dual bond Sabot slugs)

hardcore. sabot slugs are mucho denero. like to see how they fly out of a rifled choke though. keep us posted, Im doin elcheapo remington sluggers as i had real nice results with the polychoke (4-5 inch at 50yds) , minute of pie plate accuracy is good where im at, very thick, you wont see deer more than 75 yds away. 5c is my wmu for deer this year. but the spec reg area lines are by county for that wmu, some northern areas are not shotgun only( not spec. reg) in 5c and the manual operated rifle or shotgun rules apply (no buckshot) for parts of 5c not in bucks, montco, or chester counties. lotta stuff to remember to stay within the laws, easy to overlook the details so I always double check. I spoke in person with the game commision warden whos responsible for the gameland I intend to hunt. semi shotgun ok, no mag restriction during deer but it does apply during smallgame. I'm still goin on the side of caution and sticking with 2 rounders, its just seems wrong or at least unsporting to rock a drum for bambi, that and you can always run into "deputy" game wardens (part timers) who are not real up to date on the laws, I almost got locked up for having a .17hmr (rimfire) during squirell season because the deputy had no clue and didnt belive it was a rimfire, and when I was hunting with my dad we were both stopped on the way out of the woods because our shotguns looked like "sawed off assault weapons" (smith wesson 3000 with folder, 20" bbls parkerized rifle sights) the deputy made us dissasemble the guns so he could measure the barrels ?.Its rare,but does happen.. what are ya gonna do, there out there trying to make sure people are doin the right thing and probably get a hard time from people so Im always polite and respectful and always double check my laws and regs.

:super: Oh yeah, turkey and small game round these parts. You folks down by philly got some different laws than most of the state.

IMG00063-20100519-0721.jpg

Not interested in the turkey, but tell me about the handguard on that Saiga!!!! :wub:

Looks like a chaos tri rail with a rail mounted sling swivel and rail covers.

I tried running mine like that for a second, but then opted for the smaller ladder style rail covers. A bit bulky for my tastes, But that obviously hasn't stopped the owner here...