Saiga 12 AR Trigger Guard now available

Saiga 12 AR Trigger Guard now available form JT Engineering. Allows you put any AR15 grip on your Saiga 12. $59.95

Machined from a solid billet. Extremely strong trigger guard.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-375/Saiga-12-AR-Trigger/Detail

post-9063-12622859028576_thumb.jpg

I'm extremely interested in this. This is effing awesome.

Does it come with the screws to mount it?

Yes it does. I will have some pics up this weekend.

Well that certainly is interesting and different. The angle looks a different as well, is it?

That angle is mostly the Hogue grip. Other AR grips are not as steep. I will get some pics up with different grips on them.

• 4 weeks later...

Veey interesting, looks nice. I've got several questions about this and some related items.

I was reading a thread about pistol grips a while ago where somebody talked about doing something to use an AR PG. I can't find the thread now, but I think they said that the AR PG was at more of an angle than an AK PG, which helped reduce felt recoil. Does that sound correct? How do the angles on the AK & AR PGs compare?

This trigger guard looks really nice. I am still trying to decide on my S12 conversion parts. I would love to see some pics of the different trigger guards for Saigas next to each other so I could get a better of how their sizes and shapes compare to each other.

Of all the pistol grips I've looked at, I think I like the Ergo Suregrips the best, though it's really hard to know which one I'd like best without actually physically holding one and getting a feel for it, and I seriously doubt any of the little gunshops in this swamp have any. Does anyone make any Ergo Grips for ARs, or anything similar? If so, how do they compare and/or how are they different from the AK Ergo Grips?

I'd appreciate any and all info I can get about these things from CSS or anybody here who can help me figure out which trigger guard and pistol grip combination would be optimal for me, so I'd really appreciate all the pertinent info I can get. Thanks, -V

Veey interesting, looks nice. I've got several questions about this and some related items.

I was reading a thread about pistol grips a while ago where somebody talked about doing something to use an AR PG. I can't find the thread now, but I think they said that the AR PG was at more of an angle than an AK PG, which helped reduce felt recoil. Does that sound correct? How do the angles on the AK & AR PGs compare?

This trigger guard looks really nice. I am still trying to decide on my S12 conversion parts. I would love to see some pics of the different trigger guards for Saigas next to each other so I could get a better of how their sizes and shapes compare to each other.

Of all the pistol grips I've looked at, I think I like the Ergo Suregrips the best, though it's really hard to know which one I'd like best without actually physically holding one and getting a feel for it, and I seriously doubt any of the little gunshops in this swamp have any. Does anyone make any Ergo Grips for ARs, or anything similar? If so, how do they compare and/or how are they different from the AK Ergo Grips?

I'd appreciate any and all info I can get about these things from CSS or anybody here who can help me figure out which trigger guard and pistol grip combination would be optimal for me, so I'd really appreciate all the pertinent info I can get. Thanks, -V

We also have an Ace AR grip adapter that allows you to mount an AR grip on other trigger guards. It is plastic and not as secure as this solid billet trigger guard.

The AR grips are a little more angled like the picture.

I can not tell you which grip is best for you. We do have the Ergo AR grip and it sells well. It is very comfortable to shoot with.

• 2 months later...

We also have an Ace AR grip adapter that allows you to mount an AR grip on other trigger guards. It is plastic and not as secure as this solid billet trigger guard.

Greg, I have experienced that with the AR grip adapter which is why I am looking at this billet trigger guard. The trouble is, I am trying to fit this on my Saiga .308 Can you provide some details as to what I need to do to adapt this to the S308? Aside from drilling addtional holes in the receiver, would I have to mod the trigger guard in any way to fit?

Edited by FrustratedInCali

Greg, I have experienced that with the AR grip adapter which is why I am looking at this billet trigger guard. The trouble is, I am trying to fit this on my Saiga .308 Can you provide some details as to what I need to do to adapt this to the S308? Aside from drilling addtional holes in the receiver, would I have to mod the trigger guard in any way to fit?

You will have to remove a small amount of material from the front where it will hit the mag catch tower.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm really interested in this TG, primarily because the AR Ergo Suregrip looks like it would be a little more comfortable than the AK version. Of course I also like the look of it, and it looks nice and solid. But I'm curious, in general what are the benefits of using an AR PG(particularly on an AK platform like the S12)? The only difference I'm aware of is that AR PGs are usually at more of an angle than most AK PGs. Are there other Pros/Cons to using an AR PG on an S12?

Edited by GuyFoX

I'm really interested in this TG, primarily because the AR Ergo Suregrip looks like it would be a little more comfortable than the AK version. Of course I also like the look of it, and it looks nice and solid. But I'm curious, in general what are the benefits of using an AR PG(particularly on an AK platform like the S12)? The only difference I'm aware of is that AR PGs are usually at more of an angle than most AK PGs. Are there other Pros/Cons to using an AR PG on an S12?

The main reason is the angle which some prefer over the AK. It is all about what works for you.

Thanks CSS(Greg?) for the info. Like I've said above I'm very interested in using this TG & an AR Ergo Suregrip PG on my S12. This is my 1st conversion and I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the technical details.

So I'm wondering what exactly is required in attaching this TG to the receiver, and then the PG to this TG?

It sounds like this TG bolts to the receiver(I'm assuming I'd need to drill a few holes for that?), and I'd guess that part is pretty standard.

Then it looks like the PG attaches directly to this TG? What hardware is required for that and is their any info about the process? It looks like normally a PG nut is required, but it looks like it might work differently with this TG. I want to get it all figured out so I can order all the parts I need together. Also wondering exactly what kind of screws or bolts I'll need?

Sorry for all the noob questions, but I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks, -V

Edited by GuyFoX

I'm not Greg, but I just put one of these on my Saiga, so I can help you out a bit.

The trigger guard screws to the receiver. You don't need to drill holes because they're already there when you remove the existing trigger and trigger guard. You will need the Tromix/Tapco trigger and hammer for this conversion. The grip will screw right into the trigger guard. It has the appropriate receptacle for a standard AR grip milled into the trigger guard. Easy as pie. The screws for mounting the trigger guard as well as a screw for mounting the grip are included in the kit.

• Like 1

I'm not Greg, but I just put one of these on my Saiga, so I can help you out a bit.

The trigger guard screws to the receiver. You don't need to drill holes because they're already there when you remove the existing trigger and trigger guard. You will need the Tromix/Tapco trigger and hammer for this conversion. The grip will screw right into the trigger guard. It has the appropriate receptacle for a standard AR grip milled into the trigger guard. Easy as pie. The screws for mounting the trigger guard as well as a screw for mounting the grip are included in the kit.

+1

• 1 month later...

What do you do about the safety selector stop? I bought this TG and just started my conversion tonight and realized with this TG there is no stop for the selector lever.

Most use a small screw or a magwell for te safety stop. Some will put a small dimple in the receiver to catch it.

• 1 month later...

What do you do about the safety selector stop?

Cut the original safety stop off of the trigger guard "assembly". The hole should now align with the front grip screw's hole. I filed the front mating surface to allow for the extra thickness of the safety stop. If you want to be really high-tech you can try and file a notch so it's flush (I'll drag mine out an take some photos so you can figure out what I'm talking about). Works well, it's very solid, and the selection of AR grips is good.

I used a Magpul MOE grip so I had to cut off the rear projection with the WECSOG special tool (Dremel).

C97

• 5 months later...