XD's are almost completely unproven compared to Glocks. The only real reason to buy one if that you like to pretend that you know better then majority of pros in the world! The same kind of mentality that makes people go buy a Mac.

If you just like to play with it, no big deal either way. But if you are using it for self-defense, I would strongly suggest that you reconsider.

However, If being counter-culture is worth using an unproven firearm to defend yourself with, go for it! But rest assured, no one that knows anything about pistols will think that you are brilliant, just susceptible to marketing.

I bought my XD because I own several SA firearms and I love them. I dont carry my XD often maybe in the truck once in awhile but it is not my prefered carry gun. From my experience all the SA firearms I have ever used have been solid and very reliable, but like I said I have shot glocks too and they are as well good guns. I have no complaints either from either side.

XD's are almost completely unproven compared to Glocks. The only real reason to buy one if that you like to pretend that you know better then majority of pros in the world! The same kind of mentality that makes people go buy a Mac.

If you just like to play with it, no big deal either way. But if you are using it for self-defense, I would strongly suggest that you reconsider.

However, If being counter-culture is worth using an unproven firearm to defend yourself with, go for it! But rest assured, no one that knows anything about pistols will think that you are brilliant, just susceptible to marketing.

I agree with you for the most part.The XD is not as proven or time tested as the Glock.The popularity of handguns has grown alot over the past 10-12 years due to more states allowing concealed carry and the huge selection of quality handguns today. The glock pistol has proven to be reliable worldwide in all climates and applications.As far as reliability goes I think the glock is hard to beat. Thats why my concealed carry pistol is the Glock23. All brands of handguns are marketed heavely today. I subscribe to Combat Handguns and each month on the iside of the cover there is a glock ad . They advertise as much if not more than Springfield and if they didn't in todays market they probably wouldn't be as popular as they are. In 2003 Guns and Ammo magazine did a 10,000 round torture test on the XD9. They put it through all the same test as the Glock 17 test and it functioned perfectly after each on. Also in 2008 when XD45 was pretty new the army rangers did a 1000 round test on the tactical and the service model and it met all of their reqiurments with no problems. True the Glock is more proven but I don't think anyone carrying the XD for self-defense would be risking their life because the chose it over the glock. Agian I really like the glocks!The only reason I'm thinking of selling my 21SF is because the ambi safety digs into my right when I'm holding the gun. If I'm ever in a sitution where I have to use it to defend my life I am 100% confident it would do the job. And I am also 100% confident the XD45 would do the job based on the test reports done by the experts that are viewed as "brilliant" and the Army Rangers who are combat weapon experts and were not paid to say good things about the XD

• Like 2

What STC16 said. ^^

The only real complaints I ever heard about the XD are personal gripes like not liking the grip or something. The only problem I have ever had with mine was when I was shooting at a range that forced me to use unbelievably under-powered ammo with bullets shapes seemingly engineered for feed malfunctions (causing, not preventing). I wouldn't have any reservations about using an XD as a carry gun, other than the bulkiness if CCing.

The thing about XD's that sucks donkey balls in my opinion is that you have to press the grip safety to rack the slide.

If you are in a life or death situation and you have a misfire or are unchambered to begin with, you have to have two hands to operate it. If one is out of commission, so are you and your means of defense!

Deal breaker for me!

BTW, when they were the Croatian HS2000, you couldn't give them away (prices were about $200 less than Glocks). But once Springfield put their name on it, it became the NRA gun of the year and now costs about $80 more than the Glock (ooh... but it comes with the free holsters).

The thing about XD's that sucks donkey balls in my opinion is that you have to press the grip safety to rack the slide.

If you are in a life or death situation and you have a misfire or are unchambered to begin with, you have to have two hands to operate it. If one is out of commission, so are you and your means of defense!

Deal breaker for me!

BTW, when they were the Croatian HS2000, you couldn't give them away (prices were about $200 less than Glocks). But once Springfield put their name on it, it became the NRA gun of the year and now costs about $80 more than the Glock (ooh... but it comes with the free holsters).

Can you chamber a round in a glock using one hand while injured and under fire? And does the fact that it was cheaper than a glock when the ones imported to america were still called a HS2000 make it a bad choice for self defense. All the dealers I see and talk to sell all XD models about 50.00 less than the glocks.

• Like 1

Deal breaker for me!

You so need to watch valkyrie! you can chamber a round with one hand!

Edited by chevyman097

Deal breaker for me!

Can you chamber a round in a glock using one hand while injured and under fire? And does the fact that it was cheaper than a glock when the ones imported to america were still called a HS2000 make it a bad choice for self defense. All the dealers I see and talk to sell all XD models about 50.00 less than the glocks.

For clearing a Glock with one hand, grip the slide and push the butt of the pistol anywhere against your body at 45 degree angle to clear the slide. The pistol is still pointed in a safe direction and you have cleared the firearm.

I am sure you can figure a way to do the XD, but it is going to be more difficult since that little "grip safety" needs to be pushed (i.e. use your foot to press the "grip safety" and pull the slide with your hand). A 1911 has the grip safety but doesn't need it pressed to rack the slide. As the "grip safety" is the "MAJOR IMPROVEMENT" over the Glock, I think it isn't worth while for the way I train and shoot. YMMV.

Shot them both love my glock ergonomics are perfect for my hand, go with what you like but the market for Glocks is much bigger and has been around longer so its allot easier to replace things and tweak things to your liking just food for thought.

the XD vs. glock argument is like ford vs. chevy...i'm sure Calvin pisses on both of them. it's not as good of an argument as 7.62 vs. 5.56. do they both have a V8 and auto transmission? they both have a trailer hitch and an ample truckbed? do they both run on the same fuel?

i've had a glock 21sf for a couple years and it fits my large hands like a glove. never handled the full-sized g21, but i'm under the impression that only Big Foot doesn't find the full-sized g21 a bit too big. i chose glock not as a range gun, but as a reliable full-sized defense .45 for the house or vehicle. for me, it fits the bill perfectly. the XD45 was also a great choice, but i opted to spend a few dollars more for the piece of mind of fewer parts to malfunction when the time is critical...and it runs like a champ. XD has a more visible "round indicator"...whoopie...any defense gun of mine is always loaded....thats how they are and that's how i treat them, so a more noticable round indicator means nothing to me. a shooting buddy has an XD that occasionally fails to feed with cheap target ammo...but that doesn't mean XDs are crap...his gun has always been 100% with quality loads.

the only significant difference i can see between the two is the trigger slack. the glock trigger pull is short but firm at the end, and the XD trigger is long and "too easy" up till the end. for defense guns, i still like a double action revolver-type trigger pull. kel-tec and ruger LCP do a pretty good job IMO. i guess it's really all preference. from what i understand, XD triggers are somewhat adjustable and glock trigger springs are drop in parts.

i don't have any complaints against the glock 21sf for it's intended use. i've considerd getting a short/light trigger spring just for the range, but decided that that would affect my muscle memory when i needed to use it for defense. if i want a target pistol, i will buy or build a target pistol.

To add some more fuel to this correct me if i am wrong but the XD models were orignaly designed and produced by a Croatian gun manufacter. It was then imported by HS America a Tennessee company, then SA bought the rights for import and basicaly made a few tweaks and slapped their name onto them. Its amazing the gun was never a hit before but you add that name onto it and its an amazing piece. I'm not taking anything from the Croatian designers but lets face it the fact that the gun is a attempt at a Glock knock off in its orignal form, in fact the original looked identical to a 2nd gen Glock. If you dont beleive me google HS2000 the orignal name of the imported gun by HS and check it out. Sprinfield changed the cosmetics a bit and added 200 to the price. I know that recently Springfield changed some of the internal design but its roots are as a glock clone.

nobody cared about the XD till it was called an XD, I too remember the hs2000. I had one, all my buddies with glocks bought at least one or two. one big issue I had myself and many others I know of is during reassembly, If your not paying attention you can assemble it wrong and the damn slide will lock up requiring some rubber mallet brutality, Its a weird fluke thing caused by operator error but just pay extra attention puttin it back together (two had to get sent out to get them apart, two diffrent guys, niether unfamiliar with guns) I traded mine for a glock 35 not because i didnt think it was good, the honeymoon was over and that particular glock appealed to me more at the time, plus I had tons of g22 mags so ammo and parts compatibility swayed me.the other issue was the design and installation of the xds small parts, trigger, mag release are two that come to mind, they are held in with pins and are a bitch to put back in, I know it seems trivial but I shoot alot and a total teardown is sometimes warranted to get everything uber clean. glocks seem a little easier to do a real detail clean on. I too love my glock 23s and feel they are the perfect carry gun for me. Why short change yourself, BUY BOTH ! never again will you have to decide

the XD vs. glock argument is like ford vs. chevy...i'm sure Calvin pisses on both of them. it's not as good of an argument as 7.62 vs. 5.56. do they both have a V8 and auto transmission? they both have a trailer hitch and an ample truckbed? do they both run on the same fuel?

i've had a glock 21sf for a couple years and it fits my large hands like a glove. never handled the full-sized g21, but i'm under the impression that only Big Foot doesn't find the full-sized g21 a bit too big. i chose glock not as a range gun, but as a reliable full-sized defense .45 for the house or vehicle. for me, it fits the bill perfectly. the XD45 was also a great choice, but i opted to spend a few dollars more for the piece of mind of fewer parts to malfunction when the time is critical...and it runs like a champ. XD has a more visible "round indicator"...whoopie...any defense gun of mine is always loaded....thats how they are and that's how i treat them, so a more noticable round indicator means nothing to me. a shooting buddy has an XD that occasionally fails to feed with cheap target ammo...but that doesn't mean XDs are crap...his gun has always been 100% with quality loads.

the only significant difference i can see between the two is the trigger slack. the glock trigger pull is short but firm at the end, and the XD trigger is long and "too easy" up till the end. for defense guns, i still like a double action revolver-type trigger pull. kel-tec and ruger LCP do a pretty good job IMO. i guess it's really all preference. from what i understand, XD triggers are somewhat adjustable and glock trigger springs are drop in parts.

i don't have any complaints against the glock 21sf for it's intended use. i've considerd getting a short/light trigger spring just for the range, but decided that that would affect my muscle memory when i needed to use it for defense. if i want a target pistol, i will buy or build a target pistol.

Yea I like my 21SF except for the right side of the ambi mag release digging into my hand. Other than that it fits my hand well. Have you ever had any problem with the mag release sticking to one side or the other especially when releasing a loaded mag. Mine started sticking and was very hard to release a full mag. It would stick to one side and would not lock another mag in place until you pushed it back to the center. I called glock and they told me to send it to them that it should not be doing this. I sent it back and in 3 weeks I had it back and the release has worked fine since. The glock armorer that looked at it prior to me sending it in removed the mag release and said it was made a little different than the one in his 21SF. They put a new mag release in the gun and returned the bad one with the gun. I have read online about alot of people having this same problem.

the XD vs. glock argument is like ford vs. chevy...

No it isn't.

It is more like comparing a Carbon Motors Corporation - Carbon E7 to a Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor. One has been tested and proven by thousands of agencies, the other is nothing but unproven hype at this point. That may change.

Folks, please understand that you can not take a pistol into your back yard and prove it one way or the other in comparison to thousands of well documented tests done by independent agencies (Guns & Ammo does not fall within this classification...) However, if your and your Pal's crude sandlot little test is more meaningful to you then the millions of dollars in testing done by pros, believe what you like.

Mine started sticking and was very hard to release a full mag.

My XD does that too, but I've just been ignoring it since I don't usually eject full mags. I wonder what Glock did to fix yours.

They replaced the part and returned the bad one with the gun. The glock armorer that looked at mine and told me to send it back to glock also has a 21sf. He took his mag release out to compare it to mine and said his was made different than mine and had never stuck. His had more of a bend in the flat metal piece that pushes against the mag. I got my 21sf not long after they hit the market and he had just bought his a couple of months before he looked at mine. I have thought maybe they changed the design a little to cure the sticking problem but I don't know. I couldn't get anyone at glock to talk about it. They would only say it shouldn't stick and to send it in.

I just sent mine back into glock warranty services in Smyrna GA for that same very reason..on both sides of the Ambi Release it tends to stick when you eject the mag...The guy at glock told me if they cannot fix it..he will replace it with a brand new Glock 21SF...But it wont be the one with the Picattiny Rail nor the Ambi Release...I told hiim to fix it instead of replacing it with a brand new one..Cause the Picattiny rail SF is no longer in production and soon they will become scarce, hence the value might appreciate more over time..Also i prefer the look of the picattiny rail on the 21SF rather than the regular glock rail..Cant wait to get it back to turn my 21sf back into a 50cal heavy hitting bone crushing machine..

Mine started sticking and was very hard to release a full mag.

My XD does that too, but I've just been ignoring it since I don't usually eject full mags. I wonder what Glock did to fix yours.

They replaced the part and returned the bad one with the gun. The glock armorer that looked at mine and told me to send it back to glock also has a 21sf. He took his mag release out to compare it to mine and said his was made different than mine and had never stuck. His had more of a bend in the flat metal piece that pushes against the mag. I got my 21sf not long after they hit the market and he had just bought his a couple of months before he looked at mine. I have thought maybe they changed the design a little to cure the sticking problem but I don't know. I couldn't get anyone at glock to talk about it. They would only say it shouldn't stick and to send it in.