Bolt hitting the receiver

I finally took my s-12 out after converting it, and it ran flawlessly. I put 50 2 3/4 slugs though it, with no problems whatsoever.

While cleaning it tonight, I noticed that there is quite a bit more wear to the back of the receiver. The bolt and back of the pin were obviously hitting the receiver when the gun cycled, and although no metal looks damaged or dented, the paint on this area of the receiver is now worn down to bear metal.

I hate asking "is this normal" because I'm sure it's not. I also know that a buffer is not recommended on Saiga 12's because they can cause cycling problems, so what should I do? For the record, the main spring is factory, and I was using a gun fixer plug set on -1 for the entire time.

Put a buffer in it and don't listen to what the naysayers say. It'll only cost you 12 bucks. I run buffers in all my S-12s and they work great. If it doesn't work with some loads you can easily take it out, and put it back when you need it. Or just get used to the bolt slamming into the rear block and hope it doesn't eventually cause serious damage. I can tell you one thing it will cause unless you do something....one day you will go to take out your recoil spring and it won't come out without the use of a hammer. It happened to me.

My 4 hole gun was doing that with bird shot!

I replaced the front recoil spring with a heavier wolff 1911 spring (tip I picked up from this site :super: ) and cut a buffer out of a dr. shoals gel shoe insert (also a tip I picked up from this site :super:) .

Since doing these things the gun has gone from running federal birdshot 100% to running into 4FTE out of 2 100rnd bulk packs. I'll probably put the factory recoil spring back in with the homemade buffer and try another 200 rnds.

Gregg from CCS told me that a magnum twister plug can also help with that(anybody else tried or no about that?)

i have a over gassed four port gun and i am going to try that next

Shoots high brass on gunfixer no 2 setting only

Will not cycle with blackjack buffer

The gun has 3-unobstructed ports. I only put a few hundred rounds of high brass and bird shot through it prior to converting, and didn't notice any damage, But I can't think of any component during the conversion that would affect the gas volume or bolt travel...

I'll probably order a buffer and give that a try. I know what Cobra76two is saying is true...with the forces being exerted between bolt and receiver, this thing will chew itself up if I don't do something.

The magnum twister puck also sounds interesting. Maybe I'll shoot an e-mail to e-tac and see what they say...

I have a new 3 porter that I broke in with a christmas day session of 50+ magnum shells, on setting 1. After reading a few threads regarding this I checked the back of my receiver to find the bolt had faintly "polished" it. The metal doesn't seem like it's been dented or impressed in any way, so I was assuming that this is just normal wear. Doesn't the bolt always make contact with the back of the receiver as part of it's action?