I have been eyeing my options I really dig both rifles I want something to add to my arsenal that has a little range to it. I cant decide between these two evils whats the consensus. Right now both can be found for about the same price I love the looks of the PSL and I like the availability of the 308 just cant get a clear winner and I cant have them both. Too many calibers start to make my head hurt and the wallet once I start buying goodies for them.

I have a Saiga .308 with a folding stock and open sights, so I got mine more for a "shorter range bigger punch" style of rifle. It is as accurate as an AK is going to be in my configuration, with a short barrel and all. I enjoy Saiga rifles but looking at the PSL does tend to make me drool! If you can find one of those for a nice price , that would be my choice! I have never shot one but I would love to try! Seems like a good way to get one already set up without needing much more than a good scope.For Distance I have a FN patrol bolt rifle.

Edited by RobRez

Yes i think I'm sold plus the price right now from a site dont know if I can mention a non vendor here, is amazing right now a bare bones rifle one mag for $450 I dont think I would forgive myself for not picking one up and with ammo at 90 bucks for 440rnds in spam cans. I'm sorry i brought up a topic that has been brought up before with this one, thanks guys.

I cant believe this question EVER even gets asked...

PSL without a doubt.

:smoke:

Forgive my ignorance, but why is the PSL so decisively superior? Besides ammo cost - which is admittedly a big point in its favor - what other factors are in its favor?

Thanks.

No reason... seriously... the following is just OPINION...IMHO... FWIW... YMMV, etc... :lol:

I just think its a much "cooler" rifle. I think a QUALITY PSL will get more oohs and aaahs when you uncase it, compared to the S.308 ( which will get its fair share, dont you worry!)

I like the way it handles, I like the way it feels, I like the way it balances, I like the way it looks, and most importantly, I like the way it SHOOTS.

Both of the PSL's I own were made in Romania, not built in the USA with who knows what for parts kits... Both are EXCELLENT!

My S.308 while accurate, and cheaper to buy up front, is heavy, and bulky, and looks clunky with the factory wood still on it, a rail, and an optic. That is the next project... streamline my S.308 to be more like the PSL... why do you think so many folks go for the "Saiganov" look?? Cause the PSL looks COOL! simple as that... :up:

I think comparing the X54 round to the .308 round is like comparing red delicious to granny smith apples... they are so close, yet different enough to make a difference!

price, availability, diversity of ammo are all factors... you gotta give a little to get something else... ( I reload for BOTH, so thats not an issue for me, I can make anything I want for either... so..)

Again.. Just MY preference... :lol:

Yes i think I'm sold plus the price right now from a site dont know if I can mention a non vendor here, is amazing right now a bare bones rifle one mag for $450 I dont think I would forgive myself for not picking one up and with ammo at 90 bucks for 440rnds in spam cans. I'm sorry i brought up a topic that has been brought up before with this one, thanks guys.

If you want to buy from a vendor check out peachstate guns, I think they might be able to beat that price and you won't feel guilty buying from them.

Bullseyeboy-

Haha nice I am mad this wasnt available to me at these prices earlier it blows my mind its going to be cheaper to shoot than my 7.62 or 5.56 which has been running 4.99 lately around these parts. I like to shoot allot! As for it being corrosive doesnt bother me to give my gun a bath when Im done shooting and oil her back up I get allot of pleasure out of oiling my guns up anyway lol

After reading all I could on them, I'm going to get a PSL. Just like their cousin the WASR-10, they may have issues, but nothing that can't be fixed by the average tinkerer. The best price I've found so far is about $650 so someone PM me on the $450 seller.

My wife is getting me the PSL for my Birthday - God Bless Her! I don't expect a sniper rifle so I won't be disappointed. Really, I only expect an AK that shoots 7.62x54R and that alone is a major cool factor.

Maybe I'll get her to buy the Saiga 308 next year.

Less than $600 would be good. $500 or less ////awesome////. Someone PM me too.

Local dealer in Warminster has PSL/Drag for only $849... That ain't happening. Also has a Century WASR for $389 but the wood stock fit .... BLOWS.... My 8 yo could do a better fitting...

I got a MN 91/30 that could use a FRIEND....

Yes it is but most people replace the pos1 on there with a posp since its illuminated and the higher magnification options. Also if you want the orignal scope it can be had for right at $100. So if your looking to save cash or are on a budget or going to replace the optic anyway the 450 priced gun is the way to go.

I'am in the market for a .308 saiga and I want to know do any of you shoot 500+ yards shots with your saiga or psl? Is there someone on this site that can hit a 8"-10" plate/head sized target at 500-700 yards with a saiga.308 or psl? A real marksman not a 1 time a year range warrior. The US army says they will take your head off at 800 yards and the usmc say's a 1,000 yards with a .308 round.

I ask because, What is the point of buying the cheapest 70's and 80's ammo for long range shots? That old cheap ammo cannot be accurate as new match grade 308 ammo. Unless I'am worng? As I look at other ammo price's psl ammo is the same price as .308 ammo beside's the old 1980's corrosive ammo that will run out some day. And think I did not even seen any match psl x54r ammo.

I just don't see a point of buying a long distance gun and blasting the cheapest ammo at a 100 yard targets and then telling people it's better then the other gun because they spent the money on it, Which happens alot around here on guns and parts.

The more I read it seem's like 7.62X39 is about just as good as the saiga 308 and psl if you can't hit head sized targets at 500yards the way people speak about the other. Why bother with a saiga308 or psl? How far can these rifle's really reach out?Not what you heard from the net or some joker.

Havok. Very valid questions.. But engagements by us 'common folk' at 600-800 yards is unlikely.

Match grade or good handloads will undoubtly help with the 600+ ranges.

Since its been 22+ years since I shot a rifle pretty well I SUCK at it at this point. Even 150 rounds into 8" at 50 yards is fuckn horrible. Granted I figure at 100 yards there will still be 75-90 wounded/dead hostiles.

off topic portion...

If I find time and a range/farm that will give me peace and solice I am pretty confident I could do a 600 yarder.. Hell I WANT an 800 yard shot group.. Once I site in my weapons, I was that guy (hence my handle on here). I was that crack shot that could do the odd shot without much thought and wing it and just do it.

Again I need good optics, as for me the iron 'post' on my x39 is the size of my QIT target center and I put the 'black on black' and let her rip and do MOD (minute of dead) shooting.

Back in 2002 someone 005.gif called ME from a 'state dept contractor' saying they wanted me to go to VA for some full-auto training for 2 weeks and then go to Iraq for 'diplomatic security'. I declined as my son was 2 at the time. Even $2500+ / week wasn't enough. About 2-3 weeks later the 'diplomatic team' and the group of 'in-place' diplomats got blown up with RPG's.

back on topic portion...

PSL at this point would be more suited for the 600+ yard work I am sure in my IMHO. You can make loads for it but the brass is the BITCH on it.

I was looking at Savage 10FP type models, but that is a bolt. I'm going with the PSL for $500 over the NIB Saiga at this point.

So Havok.. If you got the room go for whatever you want.. Your question rings abit ODD to me though.. Lol

Yea it sounds odd the head sized targets as a description. I used it because one of the articles I read about the range of .308 refered target size to head sized targets so I did the same. Please don't be concered in anyway about me I'am not crazy. :lolol:

I found that big farm/range about 20min from my house, thats when this long range gun bug bit me.

If I could afford a PSL right now, I think I'd buy one. They seem like a helluva lot of rifle for the money, (<$600). If I bought one, I'd buy several cases of the cheap, (as of now, anyway), canned Bulgarian ammo as well.

Edited by post-apocalyptic

I guess my question is this... If you NEED to shoot regularly out to 600 yards... why would a saiga .308 or a PSL even be considered... and not something like the Remington 700, or Savage FTR, or multiple OTHER rifles designed to do specifically THIS?!?!?!?

I guess my question is this... If you NEED to shoot regularly out to 600 yards... why would a saiga .308 or a PSL even be considered... and not something like the Remington 700, or Savage FTR, or multiple OTHER rifles designed to do specifically THIS?!?!?!?

Thats why I basically ask the ?, Why bother with s.308 or the psl if they can't reach 500yards? And are X39's is just comming up short of that.