Weapon Light

I was wondering does any one else keep a light on there Saiga 12?

My Saiga 12 is my SHTF/HD gun and lives with in close reach of me at night when I'm in bed. I really like having a light mounted on my weapon because I like having the option of lighting up where ever I'm aiming. It's really convenient to have a light on my weapon so I can hold my gun and light up what I'm looking at while I clear an area. That and it's handy to have a weapon on you light when you go to check out those bumps in the night.

I was using a surefire with a remote to a pressure switch on a VFG on my S-12 till I decided to try a Streamlight TLR-1

Sure fires are great lights and I'm pretty sure I could beet some one to death with a sure weapon light and it would still work just fine. I did discover one thing about the surefire. The rails Tapco provides with the galil style hand guard for the S-12 doesn't work with the clamp that surefire uses on it's lights. (I had to use my dremel to grind a notch for the other screw on the surefire to fit into). The Stream light didn't have this problem since it only needs one notch. Another plus of the stream light is that the clamp to hold it on to the rail is spring loaded. I have had surefires which are held on by thumb screws fall off my M4 (yes a colt, government issued M4 complete with 3round burst) during extended periods of firing.

The pictures below are of the surefire and stream light mounted on my S12 along with a picture of the groove I had to make to use the surefire along with pictures of the mounting system each light uses.

I'd like to know what are people are using and what is working the best for them or if any one else is even bothering with putting a light on there Saiga and why.

Side note both the surefire and stream light run off 2 CR123 3V batteries.

Right now I'm favoring the Streamlight TLR-1. I like it's size, brightness and the on/off/ momentary switch on it.

post-20691-12629866739158_thumb.jpg

post-20691-12629892215391_thumb.jpg

post-20691-12629892357424_thumb.jpg

post-20691-12629892481612_thumb.jpg

post-20691-12629892613074_thumb.jpg

post-20691-12629892806847_thumb.jpg

post-20691-12629893126269_thumb.jpg

post-20691-1262989322212_thumb.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I voted for "Other". I'm seriously "Old school".......

I have a TRL-2 by Streamlight.

It's kind of hard to use sights with NVGs on but I still want a pair   I've used high power green lasers at night to light up cars when I was a gunner. Yeah a green laser can light up a dark room

Posted Images

I use a surefire, but not one of the "weapon" lights. I use the g2led and a mounting rail. I think a light is a must on any weapon that repquires two hand operation and might be used for night time self defense. You cant shoot what you cant see very easy.

I run a Tiablo A9 on my primary HD S12. I made up my mind that if I'm going to use a light it is going to be powerful enough to blind my adversary and this one does the job nicely.' 260 lumens on high. 60 on low. You can get a tactical switch for it, which I have, but I prefer the standard switch. So far its held up to the recoil of 3" 00 loads with no problems.

I don't use a light on my S12 since it's not my go to gun, but I do use G2's on my Krinks and SLR105 and would probably get another for my S12 if I ever mount a railed hand guard.

G2's are nice lights for the money.

Z

I really like my streamlight. did notice it has a slightly blue tint to the light it produces opposed to the yellowish light the surefire produces.

Is any one running a light that is more then 6V?

Other thing is every one putting their light on the right side of their gun? I mounted mine on the right side so I could hit the on/off switch with my thumb because I'm right handed.

Those canted grips look really non-ambidextrous. Even if you can't work your light while shooting on your weak side, you should still be able to hold the weapon somehow.

I prefer a stubby grip or even just a small hand stop to use for indexing. Then (assuming right handed shooter) you can either

a: mount a tape switch at 3 o'clock right on the rails and put your light anywhere, or

b: mount your light at 9 o'clock and operate a tailcap switch with your thumb.

Not saying that "choking the chicken" is wrong... it just doesn't work as well for me.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that Slug-O's setup in this thread is pretty much the left-handed version of my preferred configuration. Nice SBS, too, by the way :)

Edited by 3ae6ucb

that's the point of the canted grip, to make reloading easier. You can put the grip wherever you want and it won't interfere with mag changes...

"Even if you can't work your light while shooting on your weak side, you should still be able to hold the weapon somehow."

I often think about how impossible it would be to operate a gun with a canted vertical grip with your hands reversed but then i realize you can just hold it as you would any other rifle without a vfg :lolol:

I have a Surefire 3P on my Remington 870 with an IR filter FM33 that works great for HD, and I wanted to try a combo unit on my S-12, so I got a NCStar A3FLS. The 2nd or 3rd time I shot my S-12, the led on the laser fell out the front, and was pointing at my feet while the light was on the target. I couldn't figure out where the red laser dot went to. After I poped the laser diode back in, this light combo has worked flawlessly. Maybe it wasn't fully assembled from the factory, but after about 450 rounds thru my S-12 it still works great and was really inexpensive. You just can't adjust where the laser is pointing. The laser is "NON-adjustable", I'll be trying a Streamlight TLR- 2 in the near future.

From what I've read on here and elsewhere, green lasers seem to produce enough radiant/ambient light that they may be suitable as a dual light/aiming device.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems like especially indoors, a bright-ass green glowing lightsaber coming out the front of the Saiga would certainly light surrounding things up!

Ultrafire WF501-B with a CREE R2 LED w/ pressure switch mounted on a 1" scope ring

i used a bike inner tube to hold the pressure switch on my CAA foregrip, works great and looks a lot better then zipties or velcro...

i use to have a surefire 6P mounted but the ultrafire is much brighter (and about a 1/4 of the cost)

IMAGE_332.jpg

IMAGE_334.jpg

sorry for the poor quality, these were taken with my cell

Edited by presto_z

From what I've read on here and elsewhere, green lasers seem to produce enough radiant/ambient light that they may be suitable as a dual light/aiming device.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? It seems like especially indoors, a bright-ass green glowing lightsaber coming out the front of the Saiga would certainly light surrounding things up!

Outdoors I would say no but there is some spillover that could be usable indoors I suppose if there are enough reflecting surfaces around. If you want to count on having light, better get a light.

i run a surefire 900 grip light. pros: super bright, quick detatch, led navigational lights in addition to the spotlight, built in pressure switches and built to last. seriously, you could beat someone to death with this thing!!

cons:heavy, pricey

i find myself switching it out for a lighter polymer grip when i dont need the light(takes about 2 seconds). also makes a nice handheld light to navigate the cluttered gun safe lol.to sum it up, this light/grip is the best available and you will pay dearly for that. ($700)

the 5 mw green laser does illuminate your target somewhat even outdoors, but i have to agree with the previous post that it is no substitution for a spotlight by any means. GET BOTH!!!!

It's kind of hard to use sights with NVGs on but I still want a pair :haha:

I've used high power green lasers at night to light up cars when I was a gunner. Yeah a green laser can light up a dark room or something outside a fair distance away but I prefer a good light for indoor and out door shooting. Low power wide beam lights are good indoors but high power narrow beams are good for out doors for moderate ranges. I doubt I'll be doing much long range shooting a night with my S12 but you never know zombies may happen one of these days.

• Like 1

I use a Streamlight TLR-1. Since I also use a Tango Down stubby fvg mounted on a Krebs side-rail grip adapter, I just mount the Streamlight slightly forward of that, (on the left side rail of my Chaos tri-rail). In this position, I can flick it on or off with my left thumb without removing my hand from the stubby TD.

Here are a couple pics:

s12andg30027.th.jpg

s12andg30023.th.jpg

These pics were taken when I had a different Polychoke and tri-rail mounted than what I use now, but you get the idea.

Edited by post-apocalyptic