finishing conversion on my x39, BUT....

I have been lurking and learning for several months and took the plunge with converting my x39, BUT I have run into a minor snag. I am drilling holes for my trigger guard and will need to get better bits because my brand new bits ain't working. I have the pilot hole drilled for the front hole, but ...that's it. The next size 1/8" won't do it. I can't even begin to make a hole in the rear end of the trigger guard. What do you recommend?

Thanks

stock trigger guard?

you dont need to drill any holes in it for mounting, you reuse the existing. the front will just tuck up nice and tight under the magazine latch. once in and the rear bolted down, the front wont budge without some severe force.

Edited by Mullet Man

I could do that. And thought about doing that. It would be a hell of a tight fit because you have to bend the guard to make it reach the rear hole.

Thanks

Just need to paint it and put it back together then.

Yes you do have to do some intense pushing to get the back hole to line up. But it will fit nice! trust me. paint her up and finish it off. I would suggest letting the first coat dry and put on at least 1-2 more coats. I did anyway just for extra cover.

Only the high quality bits such as Milwaukee & Dewalt will cut into it.

ALL cheap bits will do what you have experienced.

Lowes store brand "cobalt" are not good enough.

The pilot hole I managed to get through was 1/16" titanium bit. That was the hole by the mag catch. What kind of steel is the trigger guard made of. Thanks for the tip on the bits. Was thinking about heading there tomorrow to get 'better' bits.

I could do that. And thought about doing that. It would be a hell of a tight fit because you have to bend the guard to make it reach the rear hole.

Thanks

Just need to paint it and put it back together then.

Yes you do have to do some intense pushing to get the back hole to line up. But it will fit nice! trust me. paint her up and finish it off. I would suggest letting the first coat dry and put on at least 1-2 more coats. I did anyway just for extra cover.

Was at my hardware store this evening and saw some 'hammered black' paint in spray can. I may have to try it for a repaint. The only concern I have is the gloss finish. I like the powdercoat flat look.

Fun inside projects this week being it's quite chilly in B'ham. Maybe go to the range on Sunday. Gonna be 34.

Was at my hardware store this evening and saw some 'hammered black' paint in spray can. I may have to try it for a repaint. The only concern I have is the gloss finish. I like the powdercoat flat look.

Fun inside projects this week being it's quite chilly in B'ham. Maybe go to the range on Sunday. Gonna be 34.

Just make sure what ever paint you decide to use can withstand the heat. Most cheap paint jobs are done with engine enamel or BBQ grill paint.

Another thing that can help is using a drillpress can make it esier to apply just enough pressure to make the bit cut without applying too much wich will dull it. Of coarse once the tip of the bit is made dull, your kind of trying to make it rub a hole through the metal rather than cut one.

I wouldn't recommend it for your rifle. We had some at work for something or another,not black, but copper. Looks kinda cheesy. I'd suggest Duplicolor engine enamel in semi-gloss black, it matches the factory finish nicely.

Give me a shout, I'm local and can show you a gun I just did with the duplicolor.