Vietnam era pictures of M16 with AK mags

I could be wrong here. I do remember in basic for qualifications. our drill made sure we had 40 round mags to help steady you in prone. your elbows and the mag made a tripod. it has been 20 plus years. Never saw those mags again.

Edited by TacSat

I heard of some m16s being rechambered for 7.62x39 for the LURPs (is that the right acronym? i forget already). kid i grew up with's dad was one. first time i saw a picture of one of them, though.....

they did this so that it didnt give thier position away in a firefight when they engaged the enemy while they were surrounded, or so that over the hills, a couple rounds out of the gun didnt sound like anything for the enemy to worry about.

basic stuff, but very sneaky indeed......

I've read that before the US provided 30rd mags to the troops there was some in theater experimental work going on. I would think it would take major modification to an AK mag to fit in the M16.

This true I had a colt AR15 in 7.62x39. kicking myself for getting rid of it. but the mags were half ar15 and ak47. they were cut and welded. that was how i bought them.

These pictures have been floating around for quite a few years.

Been quite a bit of debate each time they pop up as to wheather or not these were actually working 7.62x39mm M16 that use AK mags.

I'm not yet convinced these were. They were atleast not regular AK mags. It might be possible they could have been an earier version of the AK/AR franken mags we seen quite a bit later, but the curvature just doesn't look to be sharp enough to facilitate feeding. Some of the fraken mags that were marketed later actually worked. They were kind of hit and miss though.

It's difficult to get the round to stack in a way that will keep the nose high enough to feed correctly after going through the straight magwell.

It takes curving the mag to a greater degree below the magwell than what the AK rifle does in order to compensate for the loss of curvature from the bottom of the magwell up to the top of the mag.

A company called C Products seems to have finally got it right. It took them quite a few tries to do it, but they sell a stainless 30 round 7.62x39mm ar mag now.

With the exception of some of the franken mags, the other ones before the cproducts mags sucked. You could get about as many rounds to feed out of a standard 5.56 GI M16 mag as you could with the colt 7.62x39mm mags ...

There is such a thing as the AR47. The lower reciever was manufactured by a company with a not so great rep. Last I heard these were out of production. I believe the company was called "special weapons".

This lower did not have the straight insert magwell like a regular AR does. It uses the rock and lock methode.

I have used an AR47, and it takes regular AK mags. The one I used had a heavy 20" barrel that was free floated and it ran good. I enjoyed firing it off hand with irons. I seen another one that was ran with a RDIAS that would eat lacquar coated wolf steel case ammo fast enough to turn the barrel red without a hiccup. Although it took some work to get it there.

• 1 month later...

i have been doing research on the sog and have come across some funny m16 mag pictures, at the time they only had 20's so its either one of two things....

1. the yards attached a ar-ak mag to get some good capacity, 20rdss on auto was like 4 burst.....

2. they were using special ak mags to work in the m16 platform....

#2 is wrong tho, if they wanted to hide the sound of the rifles from the enemy they would just carrys aks....

i'll ask one of my sog friends what the deal is he was in a picture with one of these funny mags....