Barrel threaded, thank you Dinzag!!

I got my FSB back along with the barrel threading and recrowning tools from Dinzag today, a little over an hour later I had my barrel threaded, recrowned, and got my FSB reinstalled.

I was lucky (in my opinion at least) and had the .631" barrel, so I was able to thread it to 5/8"-24, which gave me a lot of standard AR-10 options. My main goal was to keep the gun from jumping off the bench, so I decided to go with a JP Tactical Compensator, almost as effective as the JP Recoil Eliminator, without the ridiculous looks. I decided to recrown my barrel also, when I got the FSB off, the end of the barrel was not even and had some dings, I guess they didn't really finish them much since the FSB usually caps it, so now it has a nice sharp 11* crown on it. Everything turned out great, I was able to thread just the right amount of barrel, JP recommended that the muzzle of the barrel be recessed about 1/4" inside the threaded portion of the brake and after the crowning, it was dead on where it should be. I can't wait to try it out. For anybody on the fence about tackling this yourself, go for it, Dinzag has top notch tools and very good instructions, honestly the hardest part was removing the friggin FSB, I think I spent almost as long doing that alone...

Some pics...

Threads/FSB installed...

Saiganov05.jpg

A look at the crown...

Saiganov06.jpg

Saiganov07.jpg

The JP Tactical Compensator...

Saiganov03.jpg

Saiganov04.jpg

The whole package...

Saiganov01.jpg

Saiganov02.jpg

Very nice job!! I almost went with the JP Tactical Compensator on my 308. I decided to go with the ak-74 style brake that Dinzag is selling. I also did the work myself with Dinzags tools. A very simple job if any one is on the fence about threading your barrel for a brake. The brake really calms the muzzle rise of my 16" 308. I liked it so much I put the same style brake on my Saiga 7.62x39.

Edited by Bobriden1

Thanks everybody!

Did you do the job with hand tools,or did you use a press?

All hand tools. I couldn't get the gun to sit quite right in my press, so I beat the FSB off with a deadblow hammer, I had to use a torch, had to get the thing cherry red before it finally broke loose, major PITA...

Edited by hlb3