My S12 BUILD

Ordered my forearm, decided to go with the tube style ar aluminum one from greg. I only need a bottom rail and I have some laying around somewhere. that should be in next week. I fabbed up a quick stock as a prototype for measurement purposes, I kinda like it, the ewlds need to be cleaned up alot. magwell is done, that was super easy thanks to good instructions that cavemen like me can comprehend. Its starting to look like a gun again!IMG_36251.jpgIMG_36261.jpgIMG_36271.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even in its current configuration it's a thousand times better than the Saiga 12 the average Brit can legally keep inside their own house. Gotta love spending your hard earned money on a weapon that

Tough guy, throwing stones across an ocean. Welcome to the board, asshole!

I really feel the guy is trying to the best of his ability to build a saiga that does not look like 1000 other s12's   The whole point I believe is to have fun and build skills while working on your

need to get a buttplate/recoil pad. Its late so I will place my dura coat order tomorrow. still waiting on my machinist buddy to get back to me about the brake, and no luck on my first choice to cut and thread it for chokes, may have to use someone else. those two things are gonna delay this project for a while.

filled in most of the deep scratches with j b. also smoothed out the welds on the stock and blended everything niceley. good tip nailbomb, It worked like a charm to fill in the low spots. think Im goin with a digital camo, the air force abu is kinda cool, Ive done the army acu and in all honesty i didnt like it. the abu has lots of greys and tans and looks like digital tiger stripe.

fabbed up another stock, not 100% happy with this one. the gusset is 3/16th, buttplate is 1/8th and the mount area is 1/4. Its surprisingly light for what it is. the buttplate is just something laying around, think its from an old ar. The barrel is gonna be an issue, Im having gunsmith problems, getting the runaround and excuses. I hear things like the barrel wall isnt thick enough to thread for chokes ....Its chrome lined.... you cant cut it short while its mounted to the reciever....ect.ect. It doesnt look chrome lined to me but what do I know. Its clearly not too thin as others have done it with success. I do have one guy who seems on the ball and I hope he can do the job otherwise its gonna be a cyl bore. IMG_36361.jpgIMG_36371.jpg

Im having gunsmith problems, getting the runaround and excuses. I hear things like the barrel wall isnt thick enough to thread for chokes ....Its chrome lined.... you cant cut it short while its mounted to the reciever....ect.ect. It doesnt look chrome lined to me but what do I know. Its clearly not too thin as others have done it with success. I do have one guy who seems on the ball and I hope he can do the job otherwise its gonna be a cyl bore.

Make sure they understand that threading a Saiga barrel is not like threading a normal shotgun barrel. It must be done concentric to the bore, not the outside of the barrel. I believe Dinzag rents a special tap for this purpose.

Im having gunsmith problems, getting the runaround and excuses. I hear things like the barrel wall isnt thick enough to thread for chokes ....Its chrome lined.... you cant cut it short while its mounted to the reciever....ect.ect. It doesnt look chrome lined to me but what do I know. Its clearly not too thin as others have done it with success. I do have one guy who seems on the ball and I hope he can do the job otherwise its gonna be a cyl bore.

Make sure they understand that threading a Saiga barrel is not like threading a normal shotgun barrel. It must be done concentric to the bore, not the outside of the barrel. I believe Dinzag rents a special tap for this purpose.

And Dinzags is for factory threads (which are on the outside of the barrel) as opposed to most shotgun chokes. Ya probably knew that but ;) just in case. I went the route renting the kit from Dinzag and it went smooth even for somebody with limited metalwork experience.

trying to do something a little diffrent, My reason for threading internally was to use remington or winchokes to give me that little bit of constriction for buckshot (improved cyl or mod.). the barrel is getting cut to around 15 and a brake(around 4 inch) is getting installed permanently (welded or silversoldered and pinned) to satisfy the 18 inch overall length rule(18.5 is what Im goin for). external threads wouldnt help me here but its good to know the tool is available. I all honesty Its gonna see mostly buckshot and slugs anyway so Im thinkin the choke isnt worth the hassle at this point (another excuse to build another saiga!) the brake is getting started tonite (finally) its gonna be very barret 50ish with big silly ports to catch the breeze and deflect all that wonderful music to the sides. Also the forearm came yesterday.....It is UBER cool and totally tubular (pun intended) now Im gonna hack at it and mount some weaver to the bottom. duracoat should arrive this week and if all goes well paint goes on this weekend. Thanks everyone for the advice and remarks, Its keepin me motivated and foolin around in the garage so keep it comin !!

Thanks, there have been some delays and setbacks but its coming together. The more I visit this site the more I learn and Im alredy planning a second build ( my little bro picked up one) and my dad seems interested in this enough to warrant him buying one too! Looking back I would have done many things diffrently but overall Im pretty happy with it. Im still not that into my stock, I may order a tromix and this time a push button folding mech. duracoat comes tomorrow or monday. my garage/workspace gets an complete cleanout/cleanup tomorrow and that'll take all damn day. Its so cluttered and imposible to work in, Its friggin embarrasing. I'll keep the updates coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate>

Did you do that welding your self or have the highjumper from the special olympics do it for you????

I hear you americans are getting around 50 pennies per pound for scrap... consider it.

Tough guy, throwing stones across an ocean. Welcome to the board, asshole!

• Like 4

Well i guess quality means something totally different in the US. The stock pic is a rusty bicycle handle bar with a but pad on it. the welds look like hemroid cream. I do think the forgrip is pretty cool but the rest needs work. Its nice to see you will defend the builder. he must be busy working on his S12. I am not an asshole for saying what none of you could muster up the courage to say. Funshootin ...dont worry i am sure you could pay a profesional to fix your gun. The whole scrap comment was meant as a joke, Your gun needs work and i hope to see more pics of the finished project and i dont care who dose it for you.

You seem to have missed the point. Its rusty as its unfinished raw steel. The welds apear to be tied in without undercut, or porosity.

He just needs to clean the welds up, and paint it. The end effect will probably look very similar to the tromix stocks. The added weight will help with recoil, and its damn sure strong enough for anything he'll put it through.

I really feel the guy is trying to the best of his ability to build a saiga that does not look like 1000 other s12's

The whole point I believe is to have fun and build skills while working on your project.

Even the guy with minimal skills still learns and has pride in doing it himself.

Then there are people who just don't have the opportunity or the skills to work on their own, but they probably have skills in other areas that may be more important to them.

I believe it's about enjoying your interest and it sure looks like this guys having a ball :super::super::super:

Edited by saigatechusa
  • Like 3

Well i guess quality means something totally different in the US. The stock pic is a rusty bicycle handle bar with a but pad on it. the welds look like hemroid cream. I do think the forgrip is pretty cool but the rest needs work. Its nice to see you will defend the builder. he must be busy working on his S12. I am not an asshole for saying what none of you could muster up the courage to say. Funshootin ...dont worry i am sure you could pay a profesional to fix your gun. The whole scrap comment was meant as a joke, Your gun needs work and i hope to see more pics of the finished project and i dont care who dose it for you.

Even in its current configuration it's a thousand times better than the Saiga 12 the average Brit can legally keep inside their own house. Gotta love spending your hard earned money on a weapon that has to be licensed and stored at an off-site location or being forced to use one of those abortions that require you to pull the charging after each time you fire in order to load the next shell....sweet. Also, since you've deemed it your moral responsibility to point out the truth (as you see it) please make sure to tell all of your friends and co-workers who have unattractive spouses that this is the case as well as telling your wife/girlfriend that no the jeans don't make your ass look fat, it's the fat ass that does it.

P.S. Even in this rough and unfinished stage, it still looks better than the teeth on the average Brit. Now go kneel and bob your head in lap of your king, queen, or other inbred royal figure.

• Like 5

Hey mate>

Did you do that welding your self or have the highjumper from the special olympics do it for you????

I hear you americans are getting around 50 pennies per pound for scrap... consider it.

And this comes from a region that had to rip off their drum design for this weapon, and the dumbasses ripped off the biggest POS on the market. :lolol: I know you're still pissed about the whole uprise, you know where we kicked the ever loving shit out of your country while trying to enslave us. :killer: Hey I got an idea! :super: On good measure, we'll trade you the guys at AA, you know, the people's drum you all copied, the "Wraithmaker" for some more of that tea! :devil: People seem to be kind of cranky and could use a little bit more. :wub:

• Like 2

Funshootin1, don't let this tool fuck with you. This will look great after you clean her up and coat it. You know I say if this "fucksack" comes around shooting his mouth off again, I say BAN, BAN, BAN. No just kidding, I kind of like this Mary, he's a great source for the rest of us to kick the ever living shit out of, on a daily bases. :lolol::lolol: