i have been told you cant shoot a .17 in the rain cuase the bullet travels so fast and it will explode if it hits a raindrop

THAT'S one of the silliest things I believe I've ever read.

(Which of course indicates. . . I need to get out and read a heck of a lot more! :lolol:)

I have the savage with the vented thumbhole stock, and a marlin 917... just picked THIS stock up for the Marlin... boyds... 60 bucks...

I wanted it a redder color... and plan to finish with about 10 coats of tung oil...

heres the before color

rawstock.jpg

here is after staining with "red walnut"

redstock.jpg

Just has to dry for two days... then to finish it... :up:

gotta love the crappy cell phone pics...

:smoke:

I got it DIRECT from BOYDS

they have them on clearance for 60 bucks!

I cant believe they ONLY had one left and I lucked out... I would call them and ASK... I will keep trying to find it on their site, and if I do will shoot ya a link here...

I can send you the model number, tomorrow, you can call and ask if they have anymore...

Well, I got the 5th coat of tung oil on it tonight... I think I am going to stop there, it looks pretty sweet just as it is... Just need to let it dry and cure for a few days before I go handling it... It was pretty dry tonight, from the coat I put on yesterday afternoon... so I gave it a buff with 4 aught steel wool, wiped it down with a tack cloth and gave it one final rub today.

A few days of drying, I will mount the guts into it... and have some more pics to show... :up:

Might even fuck with the trigger while it is apart... Gotta see whats out on the net for DIY Marlin trigger jobs... its awful tight still...

Easiest trigger job you ever did, do you have a common Papermate pen?

marlin-trigger1.jpg

springs.jpg

(Photos courtesy of Rimfirecentral Forum)

That spring will make your trigger about 3lbs. I'm sure I don't have to tell you to check that the safety still works, bump test, etc. Have fun!

• Like 1

I will START there!!! I LOVE "no permanent mod" mods... and that one looks about as easy as you can get. I read something about it... seeing the picture... :up: That helps a LOT more!

When I mess with it, I will let you know!! ( wont be till tomorrow... the rifle is at the other house! )

By the way, Shaneman... did they have anymore of them thumbholes???

Thanks again!!