Saiga magazine question

Hi guys !

I finally picked up my Izmash Saiga M3 last saturday.

Didn't get to shoot it yet, as the range was closed over the weekend due to the heavy snowfall.

BUT, I have a question now.

The rifle comes with a 10 round magazine. I can get 30 rounders for it, but they're quite expensive.

Metal "military" AKM magazines don't fit but it looks like they would with a litlle tinkering. Has anibody tried that? Can you make them fit and function reliably?

It would be a great alternative as I can pick them up brand new at a militaria show for 10 each.

I don't want to mess with the gun, only want to work on the mags.

I'm open to suggestions ...

THX & BRGDS, A

Welcome and congrats on the new toy. The majority of Saiga owners here have modified their rifle to accept standard AK mags. All you need to do is install a bullet guide and file the mag catch. If done correctly it function flawlessly. You should be able to find those instructions if you do a search or look around in the forum a bit. Please be aware that if you do this your rifle will not be legal. You will be in violation of the 922r. Your Saiga rifle has 14 Russian parts. To use high caps mags, 4 of these parts must be made in the USA. If you only use USA made mags, such as Tapco (questionable quality) you still need to change out one more part on the rifle. This forum is filled with all the details. Have fun and enjoy.

Edited by Digger44
  • Like 1

Digger, the OP does not live in the USA.

And you know this how? He has no data listed.

Nalioth knows more than yoda do not question him! lol jk

Ok but I do have to throw this out there. I just have to point out that you explained 922r wrong. Its confusing enough dont do more dmg. YOu said he needs 10 american made parts. You suggested surefire mags(3) parts + changing out 1 more = 4 not 10 american parts. Wich does not matter anyway because its 10 or less FOREIGN parts.

• Like 1

Ok but I do have to throw this out there. I just have to point out that you explained 922r wrong. Its confusing enough dont do more dmg. YOu said he needs 10 american made parts. You suggested surefire mags(3) parts + changing out 1 more = 4 not 10 american parts. Wich does not matter anyway because its 10 or less FOREIGN parts.

I'm sure you have never done this, but it is called a typo. Thanks for correcting it. I didn't do more damage and it isn't that confusing. I fixed it for your Majesty by simply changing 1 number. :wub:

Edited by Digger44
  • Like 1

Go ask your local gun dealer to get you a Saiga M3.

They're not for sale in the USA.

I just assumed that the OP didn't post the correct model, but yes I was aware the M3 is not imported.

• Like 1

I'm sure you have never done this, but it is called a typo. Thanks for correcting it. I didn't do more damage and it isn't that confusing. I fixed it for your Majesty by simply changing 1 number. wub.gif

No need to be hostile digger rolleyes.gif I was simply correcting the error for many people do get confused by the complications of 922r, jus trying to help out.021.gif

Edited by chevyman097
  • Like 1

Thx for the feedback guys.

I do live in Belgium and own the rifle legally (took me long enough to get the permit!).

Haven't had time yet to update my profile and such but I will do so one of these days.

As for the magazine question, I don't want to mess with the rifle as yet. I've ordered 4 Saiga 30 rounders, will see about it later.

Would it be possible to still use the original mags if I install that feed ramp?

Best Regards, A

Yes the factory mags will still work if you install the feed ramp. I hesitated to install my feed ramp too, I just didnt want to go drilling holes in my rifle, but after I did it I was amazed at how easy it was. It was well worth it. If you decide to do it just remember not to rush it, no need to get in a hurry take your time and go slow to assure you get it all right the first time.

GL!

I'm sure you have never done this, but it is called a typo. Thanks for correcting it. I didn't do more damage and it isn't that confusing. I fixed it for your Majesty by simply changing 1 number. wub.gif

No need to be hostile digger rolleyes.gif I was simply correcting the error for many people do get confused by the complications of 922r, jus trying to help out.021.gif

No hostility intended. Sorry if it came off that way. Was just being sarcastic. :super: