AR-15 mag for saiga 223

All you have to do to make them fit your gun is grind a little off the top front of the mag and cut a notch so it will engage the mag catch on the saiga. After this they will fit easily into the saiga 223. I experienced feed problems so a had to then weld a "bullet guide" on the top front of the mag and have had no problems since.

Hope this helps....email any questions.

Doc2.doc

I am un-clear of how you would like me to post the picks. I do not have a scanner and have to use a friends so it will probably be a few days before i can scan any pics of the modified mags. I do have pics of un-modified mags that will work. The mags i have used are just regular AR-15 mags made by COLT, exactly like the military M-4 and M-16 mags. It does not matter if the mags are steel, aluminum, or Orlite. Steel and aluminum mags you can weld the bullet guide on and the Orlite you have to epoxy or "super-glue" it on. Just compare the ar-15 mag with your saiga plastic mag and alter the ar-15 mag to have a mag catch in the back,by using a dremel and cutting a slot, you have to cut some of the top front of just as the top of the saiga steps down the ar-15 does not and you have to cut a step in the front of the mag, cut a little of at a time until it fits all the way in the gun just as the saiga. Take the receiver and bolt off the gun so you can look down through the top of the gun and see if the mag is making contact inside the gun. then all you have to do is weld a bullet guide on the top of the front side of the mag.

famas.doc

If you make the notch in the back of the AR mag and weld a "bullet guide" on the top front it will hold in fine. The AR mags will hold with just the mag catch cut in the back, but I do think the welded "bullet guide" helps. Take a look at the protruding notch, that is a "bullet guide/feed ramp". That is what you need to make on the top front of the AR mags to get them to feed a .223 into the chamber.

I was working with mine and I definatly need a ramp. I think I will add it to the receiver. On thing that I have noticed on my experimental mag is that it actually stops the bolt back. At least in the livingroom. I will have to try it at the range after I modify the rifle first to comply with all local and federal laws.

• 2 weeks later...

I use 35 and 50rd Gaili mags in my Saiga, they fit great with no mods. All I had to do was weld a machine screw to the top of the front catch to act has as fed ramp. I had no problems with these mags for about 1500rds now.

I don't remember the screw size. They were in a "junk" bin and they just happened to work. They only drawback is the price of the mags compared to AK or AR mags.